Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Other Topics for the Council to address

It was nice to see Rick respond to the leasing issue. But what about other issues we have. Will our council be able to actually help make Registry set policy? Like the coins they added to the Washington quarters sets? Or how far out of wack some of the weighting is in some sets? Or even what variety coins PCGS will recognize ( Like the type II 2000 Lincolns for example ).

From Rick's post it looks like only the leasing issue was addressed, what about all other issues?

Mitch is a great choice to be our representative, however, we still need to agree amongst our selves what issues to address and need someway to vote on these issues and then have Mitch present them to Rick.
Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    My issues are rather minor:

#1 Get ALL the Proofs out of the Modern Type 1900-Present set and into the Modern Type Proof 1959-Present set where they belong.

#2 Make me a Year Set for my 1997 1¢-$100 biz, prf, sil prf, commem, bullion, everything minted coins.

If I am accommodated on #2 I will delete my Modern Type Sets, sell coins to fellow collectors, get out of the way, let everybody move up a spot and cancel request #1

I'm, easy. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Geez, Dog97, next you will be asking for 1797 and 1897 year sets too image

BTW though Keith might agree with you I say you have your #1 request a little mixed up, it should read:

#1 Get ALL the Business Strikes out of the Modern Type 1900-Present set and into the Modern Type Business Strike 1900-Present set where they belong.

Ha, Ha, I'm in a good mood today, I hope everybody else is too! image
  • Options
    Dog,

#1 Dennis lobbied for a 1900-forward set that is MS only. No more PR-69DC's. This set may have some more twists though, like the 1959-forward set had. I would think that we will probably get some classic commem slots thrown in. Hope the $50 Pan-Pac is optional though. Look for it later this year after the established sets have been weighted. The current 1900-forward set should stay intact as is.

#2 Year sets for any year would be cool. Great way to get people started.

Other issues I would like to see:

1 -- PCGS have capability to keep certificate numbers for all coins in a collector's collection, not just the one on the set page. In addition to this, in the certificate database, would like to see whether a coin is already registered in another set before buying it off of E-Bay.

2 -- Better communication on varities, additions, or subtractions from sets before they are implemented. Contact of the Top 5 to 10 sets, plus experts in each set for feedback. Maybe even a 30 day period where comments from all collectors are solicited first.

3 -- Recognition of the three varities of the 1972 Ike dollar.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Since we are listing specific items:

1: 2000 and 1998 type II Lincolns being recognized and slabbed by PCGS
    2: I've seen this before but want it listed here, A slab for complete Proof sets or mint sets.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    >2000 and 1998 type II Lincolns being recognized and slabbed by PCGS<

This has my vote also!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for pointing out my typo Carl! image I edited my post to reflect that. Yes indeed I meant they belonged in the 1959-present proof set. I know you're with me on the year set thing. Aren't you the 1907 guy? image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Whoa, gentlemen, hold your horses! Let's just simmer down here and approach these "issues" slowly.

I'd like to see a committee formed over each of these topics of discussion.
    For example, who wants to be in charge of the "2000 Lincoln Memorial Variety II" set inclusion roundtable?
    Maybe Spooly could set up another poll and we could vote.
  • Options
    Thanks for remembering, Dog97, I am the 1907 year set guy. Not that I have a complete set yet but someday.... Naturally I firmly support your request for year set registries!! But, hey, if we get them no need for you to delete sets, or get out of the way or anything, the more the merrier I always say.
  • Options
    Carl,

Are you planning on collecting all varieties of the 1907 year set? A couple of those $10 Indians are brutal.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Dog97 is right about a year set. I'm working on my 1861 and I'd like a place for it.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    How exactly would the year set registry work? PCGS could not possibly create a separate year set registry for every year coins were minted, you're talking hundreds of different categories. Likewise, if there was only one year set registry but all the coins had to be the same year, different years would have different numbers of coins. Not to mention the moderns would beat the cr@p out of the classic dates with respect to grades and rankings.

The only way it would work would be a sort of single year type set but that kind of defeats the purpose of a year set.

Ideas anyone??
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think the year sets were a joke amounst those who collect them, but not to all I guess. I am sure once weighting was in place the moderns would sink to their rightful place.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    One day, Keith, one day. Those rolled edge Indians sure seem hard. First would be the high relief Saint. After spending literally thousands I've got all the easy ones now! There were two $20 gold and two $10 gold to make that year harder then those around it even without the special Indians and Saint.

Well Scott I was indeed thinking there would be one entry for each and every year. We have three serious year set collectors on this thread alone. There is no way to compare different years. Sure that would be a long list. I'm sure PCGS has enough disk space. (if PCGS goes for this I'm buying EMC stock image )
  • Options
    Carl,

They could save on disk space by only creating a year set for years that are requested. Doubt that there would be many reqests for years in the 1830's, but then again, you never know.

Heritage has a Rolled Edge at auction right now I think. Might have to sell your home though.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Just looked and noticed they have a no-motto Indian in 67 too! Also High Relief Saints! Seriously I'd be going for a lower grade than 66 in the wire and rolled edge. But just think, if I did sell the house I could get the Indians and the upgrades too image If my wife gets mad can I tell her it was your idea?
  • Options
    I also am working on a couple of year sets; 1996 and 2001, for the years my two children were born. Eventually, I will have one of ever coin minted in those years - MS67 for business strikes and PR69DCAM for proofs.

It's a lot of coins by the time you count MS coins from both mints (and the W mint dime in 1996), proofs, silver proofs, silver, gold, and platinum MS and proof, and the commems.

So, I would agree that it would be nice to have a slot for year sets!

Ken
  • Options
    Carl,

Looking at the populations, may not have a lot of choice. Only 42 Rolled Edges total, 2 circulated, 2 in 63, 8 in 64, 12 in 65, 17 in 66, and 1 in 67. Doesn't look like that piece got out much. Wire Edge is a little better, with 288 pieces graded.

You can tell your wife it was my idea, just don't blame me when you get busted for the purchase. image

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Ken,

Just saw your post. That 1996 set is going to take some time with the commems. The MS pieces for that year have some of the lowest mintages of the entire series. Putting together my MS Modern Commem set, I never found the two $5 pieces that I liked from that year in my budget.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336

> Recognition of the three varities of the 1972 Ike dollar

I'm with Keith on this one. Not adding them as mandatory parts
    of the Ike registry, just having them recognized and labeled
    on the slab.

-Keith H