Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Today is Memorial Day, which makes it a Roosie give-away day!

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a beautiful 1996-P MS67FB to give-away.

If you want it, you have to tell me what makes this day so special to you. Thats it, and it could be yours! Comes with a bonus Roosie that I also made in a blue box with FREE shipping.

Dan50 gets to pick the winner!

Good luck!
Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is too many friends gave ALL.
  • Options
    What makes this day special is it is one of the few days of the year when people actually realize what others have given to make this country what it is. People give their lives every day for the good of this country, but it is not until Memorial Day that people stop and think about it. In addition to that, most places of business are closed, so people can enjoy the day. It really gives people something to think about it because it is a break from routine and it is important enough for them to get a day off of work. So, with that said, I hope everyone realizes why we have a day off from work/school and they recognize the people who have made this country what it is today.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Vietnam veteran I saw first hand how many many young men gave their lives for their country as did so many others in all the wars before.

It is extral special to me because my cousin who I grew up with as a kid was over there at the same time I was and he didn't make it back. Just like that he was gone. I will never forget the feeling I had when I learned the news of his death. And his parents never got over it.

I just want to thank everyone and their familys who gave the ultimate gift for our freedom.

Thank You from the bottom of my heart.

Jon

PS: Don't put me in the give-away either. I have a 96-P in 68, which as you know beats a 67fb to me!imageimage
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Stooge,

Please do not count me in towards the contest...but I read something today that made me realize that while we remember those that have died for our country...we should also remember those that sacrificed their bodies and minds and who fortunate enough to still be alive. I never knew that this went on in the Pentagon:

by LTC Bob Bateman
    10:30 hours (local EST), Friday, 11 May 2007: Third Corridor, Second Floor, The Pentagon:

It is 110 yards from the "E" ring to the "A" ring of the Pentagon. This section of the Pentagon is newly renovated: the floors shine, the hallway is broad, and the lighting is bright. At this instant, the entire length of the corridor is packed with officers, a few sergeants, and some civilians, all crammed tightly three and four deep against the walls. There are thousands here. This hallway, more than any other, is the "Army" hallway.

The G3 offices line one side, G2 the other, G8 is around the corner. All Army. Moderate conversations flow in a low buzz. Friends who may not have seen each other for a few weeks, or a few years, spot each other, cross the way and renew. Everyone shifts to ensure an open path remains down the center. The air conditioning system was not designed for this press of bodies in this area. The temperature is rising already. Nobody cares.

10:36 hours (local EST): The clapping starts at the E-Ring. That is the outermost of the five rings of the Pentagon and it is closest to the entrance to the building. This clapping is low, sustained, hearty. It is an applause with a deep emotion behind it as it moves forward in a wave down the length of the hallway. A steady rolling wave of sound it is, moving at the pace of the soldier in the wheelchair who marks the forward edge with his presence. He is the first. He is missing the greater part of one leg, and some of his wounds are still suppurating.

By his age, I expect that he is a private, or perhaps a private first class. Captains, majors, lieutenant colonels, and colonels meet his gaze and nod as they applaud, soldier to soldier. Three years ago, when I described one of these events on Altercation, those lining the hallways were somewhat different. The applause a little wilder, perhaps in private guilt for not having shared in the burden as yet. Now, almost everyone lining the hallway is, like the man in the wheelchair, also a combat veteran. This steadies the applause, but I think deepens the sentiment. We have all been there now. The soldier's chair is pushed by, I believe, a full colonel. Behind him, and stretching the length from E to A, come more of his peers, each private, corporal, or sergeant assisted as need be by a field grade officer.

10:50 hours (local EST): Twenty-four minutes of steady applause. My hands hurt, and I laugh to myself at how stupid that sounds in my own head. "My hands hurt." Christ. Shut up and clap.

For twenty-four minutes, soldier after soldier has come down this hallway -- 20, 25, 30. Fifty-three legs come with them, and perhaps only 52 hands or arms, but down this hall came 30 solid hearts. They pass down this corridor of officers and applause, and then meet for a private lunch, at which they are the guests of honor, hosted by the generals.

Some are wheeled along. Some insist upon getting out of their chairs, to march as best they can with their chin held up, down this hallway, through this most unique audience. Some are catching handshakes and smiling like a politician at a Fourth of July parade. More than a couple of them seem amazed and are smiling shyly. There are families with them as well: the 18-year-old war-bride pushing her 19-year-old husband's wheelchair and not quite understanding why her husband is so affected by this, the boy she grew up with, now a man, who had never shed a tear is crying; the older immigrant Latino parents who have, perhaps, more than their wounded mid-20s son, an appreciation for the emotion given on their son's behalf. No man in that hallway, walking or clapping, is ashamed by the silent tears on more than a few cheeks. An Airborne Ranger wipes his eyes only to better see. A couple of the officers in this crowd have themselves been a part of this parade in the past. These are our men, broken in body they may be, but they are our brothers, and we welcome them home.

This parade has gone on, every single Friday, all year long, for more than four years.
  • Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭
    I, too, do not want to be considered for the prize so graciously offered by Stooge. I rarely comment on these boards as I do not always believe I have something to add to the discussions. However, this thread touched me as no other has in a great while.

I am a Vietnam vet who has also known folks who did not make it back. I will never forget them and their sacrifice was no less important eventhough it was an unpopular war.

This is what makes it so important to realize the meaning ot his day. While I was in Vietnam, I will be honest. I did resent those who escaped their duty because of their economic status. However, I did not view those who protested against the Vietnam war as against the soldiers serving at that time. Similarily, I do not view those against our occupation in Iraq as against the soldiers serving there. In fact, I view the absence of participation in the major discussions of today as a manifestation of a lack of knowledge and/or inadequate gratitude to those who gave their lives so that we may participate in constructive discussions.

Let's continue to understand and appreciate why our differences of opinions and the way we articulate them represent additiona dividends from the service and sacrifice of those who defend these liberties for us all.

All the best,

Casabrown

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    All I can say is... read my sig line. They are the reason this day is special to me.

Unfortunately, most of the rest of the country only thinks about them one day a year.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    rabbitracksrabbitracks Posts: 538 ✭✭
    Stooge, THANK YOU,for this great post. Ellwood also thank you for that great article which so honors our fallen and wounded soldiers that most Americans can't even comprehend what war does not only physically but above all else mentally to many Vets. I feel so Blessed as one of the Lucky ones that made it home with small physical problems compared to many that are completely physically disabled. I have two brothers that served with me in Vietnam at the same time I was in Thailand. After my older brother left there I went directly from Thailand to serve out my tour of Duty. I was in DaNang when the Peace agreement was signed. I was there to see our POW's come home to Freedom from Hanoi. Their joy at being able to go home for good will always be remembered. This is not easy as I just watched a special on Vietnam Vets that shared their experiences there and after coming home and the pain and suffering physically and mentally that they endured. The one thing that all of them shared at the end was that all they have in their lives are now behind them because of their coming to a saving knowledge of a LOVING GOD through his SON Jesus. This brought back many memories to myself as I found him as my LORD and Savior my first Day in country Vietnam. He has been my source of Strength that has brought me through many troubling times in my Life as well since my Tour of Duty. So many that have served have no Peace, Joy, or LOVE only for a lack of knowledge. I also would not want your Gift as I have the best Gift I could ever ask for. That is the LOVE of the FATHER his son JESUS. My Older Brother is no longer on this earth as Agent Orange complications took him HOME about 10 years back. My younger brother is still having many problems from his experience in Vietnam that will never be conquered on his own. He is aware of the knowledge but won't except the FREEDOM that if offers. My only wish for my fellow and female board members is if you know of a Soldier that is coming home to thank him some special way. My thanks go out to all that have SERVED and may GOD Almight truly BLESS you for your sacrifice that you gave by SERVING. Michael Long.

Someday REAL American HERO's will be on our COINS.
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a couple of things that make Memorial Day special for me....

* I come from a family were most male, and some female, members have served. In peacetime and in wartime. My grandfather was a paratrooper during WW2 and got shot (in the butt, luckily, of all places) parachuting down over enemy lines. He lived and I was able to know him. Today is special because of all the family that I have had that were willing to make the extreme sacrifice for the rest of us (even those unborn at the time).
    * The above is true for everyone that has served....today allows those like me to have a day to appreciate what they have done.

* I am able to spend the time with family today....no traveling. No big parties. Just a day to remember and to look forward as I look at my son and wife and am thankful for what others have continued to enable....the American Way of Life. I can't think of too much else that one could be more thankful for....spending time with a loving family/friends in the US.

(and, today is also cool because we were able to get my son a few more Roosies for his set...ebay was a little deserted today, I think, and the snipes got them while we were outside playing baseball now that he is healthy again....winners all around no matter what image )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

In memory of those who have protected our flag and the land it flys majestically over. Never let us forget them.

Served in the 9th Div 4th Bat 47th Inf in beautiful Dong Tam, Viet Nam with the Mobile Riverean Force. 68/69. Also in DaNang during 70/71.

Ken
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Well, it was mst special to me because both my cousin and I graduated from High School this weekend and we had our graduation parties together, but there's more...

Both sets of our grandparents are still alive and all but one of the grandparents were involved in WWII (My Grandma on my mom's side). But anyway, we always hear stories of what it's like to enjoy life, enjoy special occasions, and to be with family. I am fortunate to still be able to be with all my grandparents and to be in their presence, they are my heroes and I love them very much.
  • Options
    For me it is very simple, my Grandfather served in in WW 11 and was very proud of his service. He and some other local Vets would take money out of their own pockets and buy flags for each grave that had a fallen soldier in 2 local cemeteries. They did this not only for Memorial Day but also on Veterans Day. He passed away a few years ago during the Memorial Day weekend (Friday night) and I will never forget the determination on My Step grandmother's face to make sure the flags he had purchased that year went out on time to the fallen's graves knowing that the upcoming Veteran's Day, as well as, next years Memorial Day someone would be putting a flag on her husband's grave.

I know on this holiday my thoughts should be on all vets past and present but I seem to only focus and what my grandfather took pride I and what my Step grandmother must have felt that weekend.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    This is a tough decision, that I had no idea I was going to be asked to make, but I choose FullStepJeffs.
    I have read his sig line a few times in the past, and it shows me that he remembers "everyday" the costs of being in the service of our country..
    I won't drag out all my feelings about Memorial day. But those of us having been there, we have no choice but to remember. And those of you that have not, be thankfull to those that went in your place, be very thankfull.
    Dan
  • Options
    Well everyday reminds me of my grandpa who was a POW in battalion death march and my little brother who did 8 tours in Iraq with the 101st airborne screaming eagles. Its a day that they get thier recognition even though they should get it every day! Plus everyone that fought for this country and those in arlington!
    :american flag;

Congrats Full
    Love them busts!
    I am Looking to Buy California Tokens too.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Nephew is currently in the Army, stationed in Az. He has orders to go to Afganistan, so I felt like having a givaway, and it looks like FullStepJeffs get it!

CONGRATS!

Look for a PM!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My Nephew is currently in the Army, stationed in Az. He has orders to go to Afganistan, so I felt like having a givaway, and it looks like FullStepJeffs get it!

CONGRATS!

Look for a PM!

Later, Paul. >>

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Well, all I can say is... wow. I've never won a giveaway here and didn't think I had a chance.

After further thought, (and showing this message board to my significant other... a big thing since she never knew this place existed until today), I have decided to auction off the coin received and donate the proceeds to a military charity. Many of them do so much for the troops and their families (including mine) that I think they would ultimately use the gift much better than I could ever try to. I'll even match whatever the Roosevelt is worth with one or more of my own Jeffersons in other auctions.

I think that's the way I should remember all those who have been lost.

Again, I appreciate the giveaway.

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    i remember my friends who didn't run or go to Canada or take the easy way out, i remember on this day how many gave themselves so that others can voice their opinion against whatever they want. i will not visit the pretty beaches of Nam no matter what. I realize that its popular to voice ones thoughts against wars or whatever hoping that they can change that which they are against for the better as they see it, and that will not change as long as we report the events as we do now. I am not sure in my own mind how much of a world police we should be or how much force we should use at this momnet. but I would hate to think that in 20 years in the future we have to deal with another Hitler like person just because we were to meek now. tought decisions but ones that have to be made I THINK and the cost of that will always to much for some.

I stop when I see a flag being raised and I remember what some others only imagine, still all of us have the right to our opinion because some of use went when we were called, all the time knowing that not all of us would return. I love this country and support the hard decisions that have to be made even though I don't get to see all the evidence supporting the tough decisions. Leave me out of the contest i have my medals !!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all whom served and congrats to FullStepJeffs.

Here is a photo I took while at Pearl Harbor.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay