Home Sports Talk
Options

Lidell KO'd by Rampage

Last night before this fight happened I was thinking this could be the best thing that could happen in this sport. With Jackson beating Lidell it now opens the door for a Jackson vs. Henderson and Lidell (UFC) vs. Silva (Pride) with the winners facing off.

The atmosphere where I watched this fight was incredible, with all these fights coming up it could spell the end for Boxing and Pro-Wrestling (thank god). The fights are really entertaining unlike the De La Hoya vs. Meriwether were the purses are secured with the loser not making any less money than when he signed the contract and then dancing for 15 rounds.

The rivalries been built reminds me when boxing had Ali losing to Frazier and him losing to Foreman and him losing to Ali, rivalry is what builds up interest to watch a sporting event much like NFL whose parity has created so many different Superbowl winners. With the almost all-American UFC purchasing the international Pride league we now get to see the best MMA fighters in the world fight. Can't wait to see Fedor Emelianenko vs. Randy Coture (the heavy weight champions) and Takanori Gomi vs. Matt Sera or Matt Hughes or GSP this is a dream come true for fighting fans like me.

MMA has the punching from boxing, the kicking from Kickboxing and the wrestling/grappling from real wrestling and the submissions, this sport is on the verge of becoming a "mainstream" sport. Even ESPN's SportCenter this morning had highlights and CBS and ABC had highlights on it's websites a first. Last night's fight was at the MGM not a second tier hotel in Vegas and there were plenty of stars like Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Andre Agassi and his wife and Mandy Moore.

Look out world MMA is here!
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Would Jesus purchase front row tickets to an MMA event? Just curious.
  • Options
    alpemomoalpemomo Posts: 355
    Did you see Rampage's shorts?

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

I don't watch any of these matches yet, but couldn't help but see the highlights on ESPN several times today.

Lidell didn't seem to take a solid shot when he went down and the dazed look in his eyes when he was on the canvas looked strange.

Any regulation for these matches along the lines of boxing? Do the state boxing commissions get involved? Where do the refs come from?

With the rise of this sport and decline of boxing would this not be the perfect time for their version of the "Ali - Liston Phantom Punch?"
  • Options

<< <i>Did you see Rampage's shorts? >>

Did it say "I'll hit you so hard your whole family will see God?"
  • Options
    I saw it at a cigar shop in GA with around another 60 people, they had it running through TIVO so we got see it like 10 times after it was over. I agree initially that it doesn't like a solid puch but when you see it over and over and you know when it's coming, Rampage caught him on the left side of his jaw and Liddell's face went 90 degrees. After that when he was on the canvas he got hit 3 times and his legs and arms went limp for a few seconds.

The fights have to be sanctioned by the state commission and John McCarthy is an excellent ref who has been with the UFC since the first fights in the early 90s. As a practice in the UFC if a fighter is on the canvas and gets hit three times without defending himself they usually stop the fight. This sport does not have an 8 count rule or anything like that - if you can't or don't defend yourself it's over. I thought it was a good stop.

As far as a rig in this sport who knows, I can tell you that seeing the fight a few times over, Liddell took a right punch to the jaw that buckled his knees and he then took a few shots to the face - the odd look in his face was the shock of getting hit so hard I bet.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFan check out this pix from the fight:

The Punch

Chuck going limp

BTW, check out Rampage's shorts in the punch picture
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

You didn't answer my question, slick.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with boo. This sport hardly seems like something a guy with the Hail Mary in his sig line would relish so much.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Boo unless you are axtell don't worry about my sigline - it is dedicated to him

I don't understand the issue with my sigline or my relishing of MMA - its a sport just like football or hockey or boxing.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I can vouch that alpe put that in his sig the day after Tinkerbell's original alias went poof.

Anyhoo, I accidently posted this thread in the Cards forum from when I attended UFC 69.

Link (with photos I took).
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I liked the card....a couple of upsets and Rampage rocked Lidell.

The Dynamite card is coming up soon (early June, right?) and my cousin fights in that one. Hopefully he stays healthy and pulls out a nice win. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Oops...I was just told that my cousin actually dropped out of the card less than a week ago. Hmm...gotta call him to find out what is going on. Although, now they are talking about the event having possible problems in happening due to some licensing issues and fighters haven't even been cleared to fight.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would Jesus purchase front row tickets to an MMA event? Just curious. >>

I'm pretty sure Jesus gets his MMA tickets comp'd.
    Travis
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    They talk about this type of fighting being more strategic than boxing but I don't see it. Alot of fights end with a lucky punch or guys falling together and someone catching an arm and using a submission hold. To me it's for people with short attention spans who want to see the maximum amount of violence in a short span. Also alot of time is spent on the mat, I feel they need to use quicker counts to get them back on their feet if all their doing is expressing some man love on the mat.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Yeah i would much rather see 12 rounds of Pitter-patter with BALLOON size glove until one guy is too punch drunk to speak...NOT
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They talk about this type of fighting being more strategic than boxing but I don't see it. Alot of fights end with a lucky punch or guys falling together and someone catching an arm and using a submission hold. To me it's for people with short attention spans who want to see the maximum amount of violence in a short span. Also alot of time is spent on the mat, I feel they need to use quicker counts to get them back on their feet if all their doing is expressing some man love on the mat. >>

spend some time with it, or go to some grappling tournaments.. you'll see the strategy..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

probably not, i doubt He'd buy tix to any other sporting event either..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>

You didn't answer my question, slick. >>

your question was rhetorical nonsense, partna..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>

I'm pretty sure Jesus gets his MMA tickets comp'd. >>

JC gets a Superbox for every event.

Kind of like Jerry Glanville leaving tix for Elvis before every game. image
  • Options
  • Options
    They talk about this type of fighting being more strategic than boxing but I don't see it. Alot of fights end with a lucky punch or guys falling together and someone catching an arm and using a submission hold. To me it's for people with short attention spans who want to see the maximum amount of violence in a short span. Also alot of time is spent on the mat, I feel they need to use quicker counts to get them back on their feet if all their doing is expressing some man love on the mat.

Going to the mat is a strategy, some fighters are better on the mat than on their feet. Perhaps you need to see the work that goes on when they are on the mat to appreciate it. Making them stand up and instituting "counts" would take away from the overall game.

Boxing is a form of fighting, so is Kickboxing, Judo, wrestling and submission each has their own strengths and weaknesses. The point to Mixed Martial Arts bouts is that you get to see which fighter uses their style (or mix of styles) best. When this sport first started fighters were pretty much one dimensional and today you can't win unless you are pretty good at a few styles.

Don't know if you have ever seen the Pride Heavyweight champ (Feder) fight but he is the perfect example of what I am talking about. He holds no blackbelts or is a master of any one discipline but he has brown belts in Judo, Kickboxing, jujitsu and was a Russian champion wrestler - that's what this sport is evolving too, a blend of styles.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't know if you have ever seen the Pride Heavyweight champ (Feder) fight but he is the perfect example of what I am talking about. He holds no blackbelts or is a master of any one discipline but he has brown belts in Judo, Kickboxing, jujitsu and was a Russian champion wrestler - that's what this sport is evolving too, a blend of styles. >>

thats because Fedor is a cyborg.. he's only part human..

Fedor > a bear
    ·p_A·