Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I have $50.00 -- what is the oldest card I can purchase?

Ok here it is --- My wife wanted to buy me something special for my birthday (May 26). She knew not to grab any Gary Carter cards since she thinks I have them all and quickly found out that a Babe Ruth card was not in her budget so she challenged me to find the oldest card that 50.00 would buy. What do you think ~~ what will and how old will 50.00 get/go -- for me condition is not a concern (just no card that has been Frankensteined back together) help me spend 50.00
Thanks
Mike
Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

Comments

• Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    I don't think you could go wrong with a pair of T206 cards in PSA 3 holders. Link to Ebay ended auction I don't know the seller, this was just a nice looking card for the money in my opinion, several ended in the $25 range in PSA 3 holders for common players, or you could pick up 3-4 nice T206's in PSA 2 holders for $50. Despite them not being rare, $25 give or take a few bucks for a card that old that has so much color and eye appeal seems cheap to me.
  • Options
    By the way....these went for relatively low. A common PSA 3 T206, especially a portrait variation will run $35-40 if not a little higher at times. But.....they are the best set of them all IMO. You can have two PSA 1's for $50 delivered. If you click on my set link below you can see the various states of a PSA 1...some have quite beautiful fronts with just minor paperloss on the back.

You can get other cards a wee bit older than T206's..which were produced from 1909-1911. But you won't find any with greater importance for the hobby. Also, don't plan on picking up any N (Pre-1900) cards for that amount of money.

Unfortunately four PSA 2's is going to run $100...or more.

By the way Mike....if you see something on my registry of particular interest PM me. Depending on what it is I may be willing to part with it for what I paid for it.

Dave

• Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    I'm not a baseball guy so asphaltman is probably more accurate on the pricing, but at quick glance of completed listings on Ebay, there were over 30 auctions for PSA 3's that ended at $30 or less.
  • Options
    Drew,
    Also have to factor in the shipping...generally another $4-5.

There are certain kinds of T206's that are cheaper. Many of the action shots are cheaper. Portraits can go for a bit more as they are in more demand. Backs also play a big part. A cheap T206 you'll find Piedmont and Sweet Caporal cigarette backs. There are some brands that carry 75-100X premiums.

Mike...come to think of it I have two T206's that are action shots, both PSA 1's that I'd be willing to sell for $50 combined. Thats for first class mail and delivery confirmation. I'm not at home for the weekend...but could get them out probably by mid-week if interested. I have a crappy small scan of the two cards for the time being until I can come up with a better scan in a couple days.

Dave image
  • Options
    Sorry.....deal for Mike only if he is interested. Not selling the two otherwise for the time being. image
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I just bought a T206 psa1 from asphaltman and I can gladly vouch for him. Communication was great every step of the way, card was shipped lightning fast!

Here's the card I got
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Strip cards are a fairly inexpensive alternative - here's an HOFer fer cheap.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    You could get a HOF'er centered in PSA 5 in the 1952 topps set, beautiful cards. You can also get quality stars from 48-51 bowman in psa 5 for $50. I think these are some of the best bargains in sports card collecting, especially considering the cost of some of the newer cards, it's laughable.
    Post War HOF Rookies #4
  • Options

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    WOW!!!!!!!!!
    Unreal I never thought I would be able to obtain a card or cards that old ~~~ asphaltman76 I will take you up on your offer let me know where to send the money
    Thanks
    Mike

• Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541
    There's a lot of relatively old football that you could get for $50. There are some HOFers in the '48 Bowman (and others of that era) to be had for $50 in PSA 5. You could also get a common 1935 National Chicle football card for $50 in PSA 3 if you're lucky. You could probably get 2 PSA 2's at that price, if you can find them.

I also would recommend T206 commons. You can easily pick up a common PSA 4 with a common back for less than $50, including shipping. Many commons will sell above $50, but if you keep trying, you're bound to get one for less than $50, even if you're only looking for portraits.

Doug
  • Options
    PM sent Mike.

Doug....what better way could Mike go than a couple T206's? Maybe he needs to check out our T206 thread in the other section. image
  • Options
    djspanndjspann Posts: 541

<< <i>PM sent Mike.

Doug....what better way could Mike go than a couple T206's? Maybe he needs to check out our T206 thread in the other section. image >>

Agreed!

Doug
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I would agree with t206's or t205's
  • Options
    Hey Mike,
    PM and email both have been sent yesterday. Let me know if your still interested in the T206's...otherwise both may be up for sale tonight.

Thanks
    Dave
  • Options
    Mike....scanned both cards in and will have them headed your way on Thursday...Regards, Dave

• Options
    Thanks Dave
    Very excited here ---- I have a feeling that a new quest has been started

• Options
    Mike...yup....very addictive. It will soon go into the different categories within T206's....maybe common's to start like these...than HOF'ers...than Southern Leaguers (which draw premium's)....than the different backs....my advice, save the Honus Wagner for last..image
  • Options
    Just wanted to publicly say thanks to Dave (asphaltman76) received the cards today and could not be happier with the whole transaction --- thanks for kickstarting a new collecting direction
    Mike