Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1993 Topps Marlins Inaugural Factory set break.....

I bought a 1993 Topps Marlins Inaugural set for around $50 delivered and decided to open and grade any star I thought had a good shot at a 10. For those who aren't familiar with these sets, every year there was an expansion team in baseball or football, Topps manufactured a factory set with that teams Inaugural logo stamped on each card and sold those sets only at the stadiums of the expansion teams at around $90 each. In 93 they did the Marlins and Rockies, in 95 they did the Jaguars and Panthers, and in 98 they did the Diamondbacks and Devil Rays. The sets were limited to 4000 or 5000 depending on the year. Here are some of the highlights of my set break:

The set was way nicer than expected. The Jeter smells like a 10 which would make this a great break, but even if it's a 9 I should do well overall. Overall there are about 40 cards I'll be sending. If anybody needs anything raw out of the set, PM me.

Lee

Comments

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i didn't realize they let you bust baseball cards on the felt lee?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I could use any Raphael Palmeiro card that you pull out of that puppy. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Lee,

what do you want for the Thomas? Send me a PM and I'll be happy to paypal you.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The Thomas looks like a 10, so I think I'm gonna submit it along with the other cards in the scans.

Lee
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1993 Topps set is one of my favorites. Of course, it might be because those were the first packs I bought when I got back into card collecting in late 1993.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    PM Sent.... guess which one I want!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Yeah quality control. Looks like you caught them on a good day. Way to go.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'd be interested in the Giants team set.

Thanks!
  • Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    I would be interested in any of the cards, commons or not, that you want to get rid of. Let me know. Thanks
  • Options
    Boo, PM me your address and I'll send the Giants out to you free of charge.

Lee
  • Options
    Thanks, Lee. I really need the Will Clark, so I'm assuming that card hasn't been spoken for? PM me.
  • Options
    Actually it was spoken for earlier but is now available as the buyer backed out. Looks like a nice one too- maybe a 10. Let me know if you submit it.

Lee
  • Options
    You rule, Lee. Thanks again. I''ll PM you my address.
  • Options
    No problem. It's the least I could do after you sent me those low pop PSA Rickey Henderson's. Thanks again.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>No problem. It's the least I could do after you sent me those low pop PSA Rickey Henderson's. Thanks again.

Lee >>

And don't forget the pump and the Liza Minelli albums.
  • Options

<< <i>Lee,

what do you want for the Thomas? Send me a PM and I'll be happy to paypal you. >>

no problem, please drop me a line when it comes back. Guaranteed 9, possible 10!
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Lee I'd like the Reds team set if it is still avail -let me know
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    SOrry Mike and everybody else, the remainder of the set has been sold. Can't wait to post the PSA grades 19 months from now.

Lee
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    Sweet cards! I picked up the 1993 Rockies and Marlins sets, as well as the 1998 D-Rays and D-Backs sets a few months ago. I was amazed to get them for less than $100 each as frankly, they aren't that easy to find unless you happen to come across the right dealer. I've still got mine factory sealed as I don't have any binders for them yet and I don't know if I want to break the seal.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    They are really cool sets, and very underpriced. To put it into perspective for that time period, there are half as many 1993 Topps Marlins sets as there are 1992 or 1993 Donruss Elite sets.

The only reason to break the seal is for grading purposes. Otherwise they are and will be worth way more factory sealed. Factory sealed sets are viewed the same as unopened wax or rack boxes these days. Anybody looking for gem mint cards will pay a hefty premium for a sealed set vs. and opened set.

Lee
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    Yeah. Since I've already got the regular 1993 and 1998 sets in binders, I have no reason to put these sets in binders just for one small logo. It's actually pretty neat having them in the factory sealed wrap. I'm thinking of picking up a 1992 Topps Gold and Traded Gold factory set still sealed even though I already have those sets opened and put into binders.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.