Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

So, what are YOUR 5 most "undervalued" cards in the hobby?

This month in the SMR, Joe O had an interesting article outling his 5 most undervalued cards in the hobby. In my opinion, it was a simple, no-brainer list that required about 2-3 minutes thought total. His included T206 Plank, '33 G Babe, '34 Gehrig, 41 Williams, etc.

What are YOUR top 5 most undervalued cards? Of course, your opinion!

Mine are:

1994 Flair Hot Glove Ripken
1993 Finest Refractor Thomas
1990 Bowman Tiffany Thomas
1985 Topps Tiffany McGwire
1997 Mirror Gold Thomas

What are yours???

Thanks for sharing,

Josh

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why but when there was a 'correction' in the market sometime back - it seemed certain cards got hit harder than others...

1. Brett RC
    2. Yount RC
    3. Smith RC
    4. Winfield RC
    5. Fisk RC

There's others but these are on my list. I remember when the Brett and Yount were 250$ Nm!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my opinions:

1957 Topps #35 Frank Robinson (only $300 for his rookie card)
    1960 Topps #73 Bob Gibson (only $50 for his 2nd year card)
    1961 Topps #417 Juan Marichal (only $100 for his rookie card and it's a shortprint)
    1967 Topps #581 Tom Seaver (only $600 for his rookie card and it's a high number)
    1968 Topps #177 Nolan Ryan (only $500 for his rookie card)

Also, the complete 1972 Topps baseball set is undervalued at only $1,500.00
  • Options
    Most undervalued in high grade...in no particular order:

1933 Goudey Mel Ott
    1971 Bert Blyleven
    1961 Juan Marichal
    1939 Play Ball Ted Williams
    1962 Joe Torre
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    nice lists, guys.

anyone else? This could be a really good thread, with YOUR help!
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Just a thought about the Seaver rookie- two PSA 9s have recently sold for over $3000, the first times that card has achieved that figure.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    MY TOP 5 UNDERVALUED CARDS

1. 1957 topps Johnny Unitas RC
    2. 1958 Topps Jim Brown RC
    3. 1948 Bowman Sammy Baugh RC
    4. 1950 Bowman Otto Graham RC

5. all other 48-50's football hall of fame rookies

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    All Mays cards - dude was the greatest outfielder ever, powerful, bombs away at the plate, basket catches, much more exciting to watch than anyone since.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    any 5 cards I own "image

I think that both Brett and Yount RC are way under valued, same with Winfield, Schmidt and Brooks Robinson.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    at least half of the 57' Topps Baseball set. God, I love that set. A lot of tremendous cards in that set. chaz
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    The 1966s have potential to increase greatly. The set contains many cards with extremely low pops. I have at one time or another collected every set from 55 up (except 57), and am convinced that the 66 high numbers are the toughest. Of course, if the demand does not go up, neither will the prices. I consider the 66 set to be the 2nd toughest one of the 60s (after 62) to put together in high grade.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I would think the 62's due to chipping would be MUCH harder to find in higher grade, are you reffering to just locating the cards in general?
  • Options
    raykasaraykasa Posts: 186 ✭✭
    1. 1955 Bowman Elston Howard RC- Great Yankee not easy to find in PSA 8
    2. 1958 Topps Curt Flood RC PSA 8- first to challenge reserve clause and therefore the vanguard to free agency (sad many of today's jocks don't even know)
    3. 2000 Topps Chrome Miguel Caberera PSA 9 or 10- look at his stats; only 23 or 24 already has WS Ring, etc.
    4. Any high grade Larry Doby cards.
    5. Unitas rookie in PSA 8 - Seems like a bargain to me at current prices.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    and Howard was the first MLB player "to rock a gold 'toof' "

• Options
    raykasaraykasa Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Very True! even more incentive !

Honorable mentions: 1959 Fleer Ted Williams with Jim Thorpe PSA 8 /9; 1984 Donruss Joe Carter PSA 10; 1966 TOPPS LEAGUE LEADERS featuring Mays/Clemente/Aaron
  • Options
    I think the thread is about undervalued cards, not hardest to find. I dont think the original poster had PSA graded cards in mind.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1951 Bowman Willie Mays
    1969 Reggie Jackson
    1961-62 Wilt Chamberlin
    1963 Bob Lilly
    1969 Brian Piccolo
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    1953 Topps Eddie Mathews

1956 Kahn's Frank Robinson

1970 O-Pee-Chee Hank Aaron

1974 O-Pee-Chee Mike Schmidt

1987 O-Pee-Chee Barry Bonds
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Let me preface by saying I don't feel there is much "undervalued" in baseball. There's definitely some in football, but the dispairty in values in terms of basketball is amazing, especially since modern basketball is so inflated. Compare modern baseball to vintage baseball. Now compare modern football to vintage football. The compare modern basketball to vintage basketball and the prices of things are totally out of whack. The pricing on pre-1986 basketball is a joke except a few cards (Bird/Magin RC, Alcindor RC, etc...), especially since new basketball sells so well. That being said, here's my list:

1) 1977 Topps basketball set
    2) 1978 Topps basketball set
    3) 1979 Topps basketball set
    4) 1985 Star John Stockton RC
    5) 1972-73 Topps Julius Erving RC
  • Options
    ManofmoeManofmoe Posts: 264 ✭✭
    I agree 100% with the 57 Topps Frank Robinson. I would add the 55 Topps Harmon Killebrew RC. A 52 year old beauty of a 573 home run hitter seems way undervalued to me.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I don't have a top five, but across the board I feel Football Rookie
    Hall-Of-Famers are still undervalued despite the run up the last few years. Especially the low pop rookies from the tough issues like '48 Leaf, '50 Bowman, '52 Bowman and PSA 8 or higher for the rest of the 1950's and 1960's issues. Even some 1970's issues still are valued low considering all the demand.

Many of these cards only surface for sale once or twice a year and the demand is huge and still growing. The SMR doesn't keep pace with the price increases either.

I don't see these cards getting any cheaper anytime soon.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Several people have mentioned Juan Marichal's rookie, which is also a choice of mine. From the same set and similarly undervalued is Billy Williams' RC. Fergie Jenkins' RC and his second year card are both worth mentioning, as is Carlton's 67 (and many of his cards in general.)
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    1968 Topps Johnny Bench- 1949 Leaf Klu -1957 Kahns F Robby- 1963 French Bauer Milk cap Pete Rose- 1989 Ken Griffey PSA 10
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    If I had to vote on Baseball cards:

!. Yes, Marichal's RC seems cheap to me also.
    2. Stan Musial cards
    3. Warren Spahn cards
    4. Willie Mays cards
    5. Hank Aaron RC
  • Options
    Also like to add:

1968 Topps baseball #45 Tom Seaver

Even though its a double print its his 2nd year card and its only $50.00
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1963 French Bauer Milk cap Pete Rose >>

Does anyone have a scan of this? I've never heard of it.
  • Options
    It is in the big book
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd add 1965 Catfish Hunter and 1964 Tommy John RC's. The TJ card sells for like $30 in PSA 8.
  • Options
    1. 1951 Bowman Mays
    2. 1939 Playball - Ted Williams
    3. 1952 Topps - Mays
    4. 1954 Topps - Aaron
    5. (tie) 1948 Bowman - Stan Musial; 48 Leaf Jackie Robinson
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    I'm too much of a modern collector to be able to weigh on on the older stuff... so my list would have to include:

'77 Dawson and Murphy RC's... at just $20 and $15, they're rediculous bargains
    '85 Topps Clemens Rc.... especially high-grade examples!
    '84 Topps Mattingly Rc .... $8??? Are you kidding me?
    '80 Topps Rickey Henderson Rc.... again, especially in high-grade condition!
    '79 Topps Ozzie Smith Rc... again, high-grade examples.

If I had to throw in a 6th, it would have to be ALL Craig Biggio Rc's.... I know I know... over-produced.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    The 1984 Topps Mattingly actually books for $15, but still undervalued.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1984 Topps Mattingly actually books for $15, but still undervalued. >>

Do to mass production, will probably not be worth more.
  • Options
    Hello, Very first post. My five (high grades/undervalued) consist of...

1. any centered ozzie smith rc
    2. 67 carlton
    3. 69 brock
    4. 68 bench
    5. 60 bart starr

(i was trying to think of atleast one card from 1980-newer but could not, maybe a Rice or Montana RC but even those are slim. i understand there are some big dollar cards from this time period but cant imagine ANY will hold value in the future with exception of the Jordan which has "valleyed" quite a bit)

ty

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    1948 Bowman Warren Spahn
    1941 Play Ball Pee Wee Reese
    1960 Topps Carl Yaztremski
    1948 Bowman Stan Musial
    1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    undervalued compared to what? I think Lee's list makes complete sense because he defines value on a relative scale...in his case, modern vs. vintage for football vs. baseball vs. basketball. I wouldnt call, say, a billy williams RC undervalued....because the market value of that card is pretty much in line with what one would expect from a card in the 60's and from a player of his caliber (well, that's my opinion...if you think williams is as good as ernie banks and should be valued as ernie banks is...then williams is undervalued). I think the value of 60's and above cards will remain pretty stable...so when you say a card from that era is undervalued, you're really trying to make a statement about the value of a player vs. similar players (of course, this is assuming you believe 60's and above cards will remain stable). For instance, 1960's Willie Mays cards is undervalued because players like him...say mantle or duke snider...are valued higher in that era.

With that being said, here are a few lists

Here are players whose cards i think are undervalued relative to their peers

Hank Aaron (compared to Mantle, Mays)
    Juan Marichal (compared to Koufax, Gibson, Yaz, McCovey)
    Ozzie Smith (compared to Brett, Ryan, Yount)
    Warren Spahn (compared to Whitey Ford, Kaline)

Here are sets i think that are undervalued relative to sets in or around their era

1920's caramel cards (compared to cards in the 1900-1910 and 1930-1940)
    T213's (compared to T206, T214-T217)
    1971 Topps Baseball (compared to 70's Topps..especially since this set is condition sensitive)
    Topps Venezuela (still think they are undervalued given their scarcity and condition sensitivity)
    Red Man Tobacco (i dont feel value matches demand. popular set but low value relative to other small issues of that era (johnston, red heart, wilson frank))
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    All baseball and primarily commons:

1973 don wilson
    1971 jim hellenback
    1979 ozzie smith
    1980 george medich
    1977 steve leubbel (sp?)

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    I am going to go in a few different directions but

#1 Ken Griffey Jr. Upper Deck Rookie- Can buy them for 15.00-20.00 per card(I am not calling high grade copies a great buy)

I am 30 and my friends all wanted that one card during childhood and it was about 40-50 per card easy.

I have a feeling when they get that nostalgic feeling in about ten years this will be the one card they want and will be selling at the 50-75 per card in time.

#1A Hank Aaron Rookie card(any grade) he is the best in the game of all time IMHO and his cards will take a huge surge when AROD or somebody comes along after Bonds and chases Bonds.

#3 86-87 fleer rookies other than Jordan(man some flat out HOF's you can pick up a tough rookie for like 5.00- 25.00) Barkley, Olajuwon, Malone, Mullins, Thomas, Worthy, Dumars, Ewing,. That set is a steal without the jordan card! I would like to buy about 50

#4 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas Rookie(what 500 home runs and you can buy his rookie for 5.00?) the packs were 5.00 a piece back in the early 90's!

#5 Johnny Bench Rookie Card- man you can get a decent card for around 50 bucks

honarable mention 68 topps Ryan Rookie, Carew Rookie, Ozzie Rookie centered

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    1989 Fleer Bill Ripken White Scribble
    1990 Pacific Senior Jim Nettles corrected AHole bat knob (not the Glossy one)
    2 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken versions I need

...what else did you expect me to say.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    this is an interesting topic. I think these items are undervalued:

57/8 topps basketball
    58, 59, 60, 61 topps football sets- all under $1000, wow!
    1953 topps mathews
    48/9 bowman/leaf Jackie Robinson RCs
    early bowman and leaf football
    86 fleer basketball RCs (non Jordan)

thanks
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...what else did you expect me to say. >>

Good call, I'll follow the trend:

1) 1980 Charlotte Police Cal Ripken, Jr.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    How about $10 for a 1987 Donruss Greg Maddux rookie? I know they made a ton of them, but still, he's a lock first-ballot HOF'er, he'll have close to 350 wins lifetime, and is the best NL pitcher in the last 20 years.