Home Stamps Forum
Options

Star Wars Stamps Released Today

Hello all,

Star Wars stamps were released today. They look cool, I bet the local post office will run out within a week.

Do a google search for lots of info.

Clear Skies,
Mark
Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• Options
    Got mine today, they are really kewl...
    "I'm not the judge of Man, that is God's job, I just make arrangements for them to meet"
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    IF you must save current US stamps in the hope they will increase in value you should think counter-intuitively. Like the Elvis stamps, everybody will buy the star wars stamps and save them. I suggest you use them for postage and ask friends to return the used stamps.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    fun to use, but ultimately not collectible due to the massive quantities printed and hoarded.
  • Options
    The same could be said for state quarters, but everyone is still collecting them. image
  • Options
    I'm not really saving them for flipping, I just got one for me, but I agree they will be printed in huge quanities
    "I'm not the judge of Man, that is God's job, I just make arrangements for them to meet"
  • Options
    quarterlvrquarterlvr Posts: 84 ✭✭

Actually I went to my local PO this past week and asked for both a pane of Star Wars and a pane of the Jamestown stamp. Star Wars was still available but the Jamestown was sold out. I don't know if they just printed more of the Star Wars one because they expected more interest or what. image
  • Options
    yeah I'm sure they did, I did get the Jamestown too. I pre-order about 90% of all the new releases.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone explain how the USPS got around the rule that no living person can appear on a postage stamp?

Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christenson are living, and their likenesses are clearly visible on the stamps.

Steve
  • Options
    This is about Star Wars and the characters. The fact that the people who played the characters are still alive is not an issue.

Rolin Lewis
  • Options
    I found them to work very well as postage too bad these didn't comer out when I was a 7 year old Star Wars fan. I would have bought out the local PO.
  • Options

My press sheet finally came in the mail today. Am still waiting on the rest of the order I placed in Mid May......image
  • Options

<< <i>Star Wars stamps were released today. They look cool, I bet the local post office will run out within a week. >>

I bought my stamps over a month ago know. What I'm looking for are USPS promotional items displaying the Star Wars Stamps such as posters, sings, cut-outs, change mats, etc. Anyone know where I can get these?

Russell
    Treasures of a Lifetime: Something of value from a period of time representing someone's life!

Edited: My URL removed! I don't spam!
  • Options

Seems to be plenty available at the local PO still....Do make good postage and did get some good pictoral cancels for them.image
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "Can anyone explain how the USPS got around the rule that no living person can appear on a postage stamp?"

I do not think this is a rule, but more of a guideline. I believe it was made by the Citizen's Stamp Advisory Committee. In one of their first actions they made guidelines for stamps. There are now likely at least a dozen US stamps now released with the person on it still alive....but out of the ~6000 or so issues (including basic BOB's) that is a pretty solid guideline.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options

Supposedly with the Star Wars issue, they depict characters, not true living humans. Instead of Harrison Ford, it's Han Solo and instead of Mark Hamil its Luke Skywalker. Sound like just an excuse to skirt the rules to me, but I didn't make em. I personally don't see anything wrong with a stamp honoring living people. I recently ordered from Canada Post the ones with the singers because I like Anne Murray and Gordan Lightfoot. You'd never see the USPS doing that, even though they are getting closer with the Ronnie Reagan and Gerald R Ford stamps. image
  • Options
    Yoda won the voting for the most popular to be used for a single 41c to be issued in September.

Jerry
  • Options

Although Yoda's probably not the "prettiest" Star Wars character to grace a stamp, I centainly like him the best. He's the oldest and wisest of them all! image
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Yoda RULES!image
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Yoda is cool, but the Darth Vader stamp looks better. I think it was rigged...image

Mark