Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A HUGE THANKS TO WHEATFANATIC - UPDATED PICS AS PROMISED

Thanks to a forum member here on the boards (WheatFanatic), I recently had the opportunity to upgrade eight (8) wheats in my lincoln collection. Although they were technically not point upgrades, these coins were all just too PQ to pass up. For me it's almost more of a rewarding feeling when I find a nicer coin of the SAME grade...then when I actually do go up a grade. AND TO HAVE 8 OF THESE HIT AT ONE TIME...WELL...THAT JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN TOO OFTEN. Each of these coins took a great deal of time for WF to find (all were cherry-picked from rolls within that last couple of years I believe)...they were some of his best finds from all of his hard work...and I think that makes me appreciate them even more.

For a couple of years now, my focus has mainly been on very high end 66RD lincolns from 34-58 (at least in wheats) without having to dabble in any of the 67RD's. What is very interesting to me is the range in quality that I have encountered with wheat cents of the MS66RD grade. I have really seen some dogs and then I have seen a few 66RD's that really should be in 67 holders (in fact, I own a couple!). I almost feel scared to buy a 67RD wheat (other than my steel cents) because I might just find a 66RD that's nicer image

Enough of my ranting. I just wanted to publicly thank WF for giving me the opportunity to acquire these coins at a very fair and reasonable price. As promised, here are some photos:

Comments

• Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598
    That is a real nice looking 1954! Congrads on your pick up. Where are the pictures of the other seven?image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You said a mouthful!
    Congrats.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Looks to be well worth the wait. That is one solid HIGH-END, 66RD, 1954-P Lincoln.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We see what YOU see!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Great example!! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to grab your castoffimage

• Options
    Very nice Toby. Congrats to both of you. And I completely understand about that feeling you get
    when you find a better example for your set in the same grade. I've done that several times and it
    does feel just like you've really upgraded. I think that only happens to a true collector.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Great example!! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to grab your castoff

Lee, I'm glad that my previous 54-P found a good home. It too is a very nice example of that tough year.

And I completely understand about that feeling you get when you find a better example for your set in the same grade. I've done that several times and it does feel just like you've really upgraded. I think that only happens to a true collector.

Well said RegistryNut. It really is amazing how far I've come since I started collecting lincolns 4 years ago. My standards have gone up ten fold. I can remember a day when I would settle for a coin simply because of the grade on the holder. I owe alot to people on these boards...it's amazing how much I have learned from private PMs and posts over the years.

You know, it would be cool to one day have a beer or two with folks like RegistryNut, Watersport, LincolnsRule or WheatFanatic. It's funny how you have hundreds of PM's or emails with someone over a span of a few years and you never get the chance to meet them in person. Maybe one year we could put something together where everyone comes into town for the Baltimore show and we grab lunch and some beers at the Wharf Rat beforehand?

I'll be sure to put photos up on this post when I get them back in a few weeks!
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Updated first post with pics as promised image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking Abes there, Toby!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment