Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Finally finished my 48 Leaf Football set

Well I finally got the last card that I needed. #56 B. Folsom
My initial goal is to have the set done in PSA 6 minimum and eventually in PSA 7.
I have to say that this was a very challenging set, even in mid-grade. I waited almost 2 years before I could find the Folsom in PSA 5. This is also a set that I really don't mind OC cards and in some cases, the OC cards look better than lower grade non qualified cards. Eye appeal is extremely key on this set. Special thanks to Scott Fabry and Shouldabeen who were very helpful in building and upgrading this set. Vic Stanley was also a big help with a few cards and his overall knowledge of this set and the football side of this hobby. There were also a few others, but the names escape me at the moment. Thanks to all you have helped me or steered me to cards.
P.S>- I'm always looking to upgradeimage
Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Frank,

Congrats! One of my all-time favorite sets, and in my opinion the #1 vintage football set on the planet because of the low populations and abundance of star rookie cards.

Best of luck upgrading, but stay away from any PSA 7's that I need!!! image

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Well I just upgrader my Van Buren. If a Layne or Luckman show up... Look out!image
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great job!! must be like a weight off your chest it's a great feeling to finally finish a classic set like that
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Congrats! That is a fantastic set, and if I was ever going to go after a full set, that would be the one. Are you going to try and do a "master" set now, or just focus on upgrades? Of course you know, just because the set is complete, it's never actually "done". image

Great accomplishment on a great set. Congrats again.

-Josh
  • Options

<< <i>Well I just upgrader my Van Buren. If a Layne or Luckman show up... Look out!image >>

Yeah I know, I was your underbidder...image

MOSH has my old PSA 7 Luckman...Needless to say it took an Act of Congress for me to sell/trade it, but for what I got in return it was WELL worth the downgrade...FYI, you'll need 5 digits for one of those...lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    envoy- no Master set, I'll just look to up upgrade.

Jasp- I didn't know you were the underbidder. I hate Ebay's new Bid history systemimage

I figured a 7 on the layne or Luckman would go for good cash. I guess 5 figures would be at the top edge of what I would pay (depending upon circumstances). I might have to settle for 6's on those cards.

I guess the Van Buren was a steal at what I paid.
  • Options
    Well, I can't speak on a Layne 7, never sold one of those or even tracked a sale in recent memory...But the Luckman 7 with a POP of 4 and just one graded higher will definitely run 5-digits..I sold mine for 5-digits and that was over a year ago...

The Van Buren was about right on what it sold for, in the long run all of those 48 Leafs that are selling today will look like steals...I'll eventually get that one back, hopefully at or below my max price.

Jason
  • Options
    AWESOME!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Frank! I guess now you'll have time to pursue other things, like locating the cards in your own collection. LOL. (Inside joke).
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    An incredible set to finish!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Frank - I guess with this set completed you'll be looking to upgrade that 48 Bowman Set, right? Let's make a deal! You need the EIGHTS and I have the EIGHTS. Well some of them.image
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Nice job. Are you going to start your 1990 Score Football set now? image
  • Options
    Way to go Frank! I guess now you'll have time to pursue other things, like locating the cards in your own collection. LOL. (Inside joke).

Andy, I have 1 more area to search through. So keep your fingers crossed. One bad thought did cross my mind though. I usually have lots of people through my house (mostly my kids friends). What if the card walked away?? I hope not, but that might be an explanation.image

LBean- I know the deal you want to make, but it ain't gonna happen any time soon. I have upgraded the 48 Bowman set recently and have a few "feelers" out for other upgrades. Hey, you never know thoughimage

Favrefan- I'm not sure if that was a jab or not. My interest in football does range from vintage to modern. Although I have an all PSA 10 89 Score Football set, I built it because I felt it was a landmark issue. 90 Score doesn't hold the same stature in my eyes.
    Same reason why I'm doing all the SP and SP Authentic sets. I think in the future they will show some appreciation, but even if they don't, I just REALLY like the product and want to preserve my sets in PSA holders.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Frank,

Check your PM if you're not logged in.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on your accomplishment!! What's your newest venture?

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Hi Greg- I got your PM and responded back to you.
    As for new ventures, none right now. I'm looking to finish up the sets I'm currently working on and than I will re-evaluate.
  • Options
    Frank - I know the other deal is dead but I still have a number of cards you need and I'd be willing to take a cash offer. image I would prefer a PSA 9 or so but cash is good.
  • Options
    Can you email me your list???
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Frank,

Congrat's on finishing up another one of the great football sets!!!

Mike

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank, Really great job. I can't imagine how tough it was. Well done. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome Frank! Good luck on completing your next one.

Matthew
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Congratulations! This is truly a wonderful set. Best of luck with the upgrades. Nice to finally reach the finish line.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    Congrats on a very cool set.

I picked up my first 1948 Leaf card a few months ago (Charlie Trippi PSA 5) for the HOF RC set. As soon as I saw it in person I decided I needed to at least do the low #'s in PSA 5, that creeped to PSA 5 HOF, PSA 6 low # which creeped to PSA 5 or 6 low #'s (6 preferred on HOF's) and PSA 5 hi #'s. I've finally gone all in and decided the whole set in the highest grade I can afford (possibly with variations). Lot's of fun and very rare. I would love to hear any advice you would have for me.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.
    Mike- I really believe this set is undervalued, especially in mid-grade. I would advise to buy PSA 5's and 6's at SMR and below. You can't go wrongimage
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    FabFrank,

Wow--that is a great accomplishment to complete that in the grade you did.

Thanks also for the kind words.

Enjoy the weekend.

Jim
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Congratulation Frank, that's an incredible set. How about some scans image

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Frank,
    Awesome job!! I have always loved that set and have thought about making it as well. I currently have some cards out on the Bay that I put out last night. I kept my PSA 7's, but I have some PSa 6's that might help you some.

My post is more to tell you congrats, than to spam my auction.

Have a great weekend.
    Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    My post is more to tell you congrats, than to spam my auction.

That's okay Shane, it's still all goodimage

Joe- The only scans I post are of my HOF Auto collection. Maybe I'll make an exception thoughimage
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My post is more to tell you congrats, than to spam my auction.

That's okay Shane, it's still all goodimage

Joe- The only scans I post are of my HOF Auto collection. Maybe I'll make an exception thoughimage >>

At least do the HOFers image
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, Frank! Good luck with your upgrades.

• Options
    imageimage

Outstanding job Frank but please dont thank shouldabeen i have heard him cry to many times about selling those leafs lol

Lot of talk about how hard it it doing a set verses the like of mosh or Fuzz or any of the big time players in our little football world but let me tell you going at a set at the same time Frank is doing it can make you pull your hair out.

He is 1 tough competitor and 1 of my personal favorites of all collectors in the hobby to deal with just
    a heck of a good guy
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words Art. I try to treat people the way I would like to be treated. Of course, if someone comes at me with an attitude, I can still reciprocate with alittle of my Bronx upbringingimage

As for good guys in this hobby. Skinsfan is one of the best. Whether doing a transaction or just talking football, I always leave Art with a good vibes.
    Now if he would just help me with my last Philly set and my 63 Toppsimage
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Congrats on your set completetion Frank. Outstanding accomplishment! I enjoy watching your sets climb the psa set registry ladder and usually landing at the top rung.

Regards,

Rich
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭