Home Sports Talk
Options

Keyshawn Johnson retires - joins ESPN

Veteran wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson seriously considered resuming his football career with the Tennessee Titans.
But a job in television with ESPN was just too good to pass up, according to his agent. Johnson will officially announce his retirement at a press conference on Wednesday.

He visited the Titans last week, and agent Jerome Stanley said the team made him an offer he nearly accepted.

"They offered in the $7 million-$8 million range over two (years) with a substantial portion of it guaranteed. It was tempting. But at the end of the day ESPN deal was so strong," Stanley said. "The numbers (from ESPN) were unbelievable, and it just made the most sense after all he has done in his 11-year NFL career."

ESPN spokesman Bill Hofheimer confirmed the moved to the Associated Press. "After Keyshawn's announcement that he will retire, we will announce we are signing him to a contract," he said.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Keyshaun, I never liked him when he was with the Jets but he turned in a fine career.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Without the Bucs 02 run and ring, I think we would of though lesser of the big mouth. I can't see him and Irvin both on tv. At least
    he will retire with one more ring than TO.

JS
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Is there enough room in the ESPN studio for both his ego and Michael Irvin's?
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>Is there enough room in the ESPN studio for both his ego and Michael Irvin's? >>

ESPN and Michael Irvin have parted company, I believe that Keyshawn was hired to fill Irvin's role on the Sunday NFL show
    and the pre game show for MNF.
  • Options
    I always thought that keyshawn would be so much better than he actually was. decent stats, but definitely overrated.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. My time at USC coincided with Keyshawn's and I really thought he'd be a much better NFL'er. Decent pro career, but just not what most people expected it to be.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw Keyshawn Johnson attending a Warriors basketball game 2-3 years ago.

He was sitting in the stands, decked out in high end athletic clothing, wearing sun glasses (it was dark in the arena for Chrissake) and talking the entire game on a cell phone. A number of kids were around him (possibly his own kids of he has any or maybe nieces and nephews). Chillin the entire game.

I sat the next section over and observed him a few times during the game. All I can say is that he was chisled like a greek statue, with muscles large, cut and defined. His hands were huge and meaty (to catch the pigskin with) and his head is one of the biggest heads I have seen (he must have a hat size of between 8 and 9).
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His stats were slightly worse than Irving Fryar's (the last overall #1 before Key), very good but not great. I remember a few years ago, he and his agent claimed HOF - type career. Nice but no cigar.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I am sure according to some Packers fans (not me) that this must be the result of Ted Thompson.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is there enough room in the ESPN studio for both his ego and Michael Irvin's? >>

ESPN and Michael Irvin have parted company, I believe that Keyshawn was hired to fill Irvin's role on the Sunday NFL show
    and the pre game show for MNF. >>

Hopefully Keyshawn will keep his friend's crack pipe at home. image
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>

<< <i>

and the pre game show for MNF. >>

Hopefully Keyshawn will keep his friend's crack pipe at home. image >>

I would guess that every ESPN contract has code of conduct clauses in it these days to cover any crazy
    things that might happen.
  • Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    Keyshawn has similiar stats to Irvin and Irvin got into the hall so you never know. I wasn't overly impressed by Irvin and didn't think he belonged.