Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1906-S Philippine Peso - Fake?

My guess is yes. Anyone else want to chime in?

eBay

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would know better than I. The only fake pesos I've seen were poorly-executed Far East jobs, undersized and crude.

If that one is fake, it is better-done, and I daresay it might've fooled me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't collect Philippine coinage, but that would fool most novices including me.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I believe the host coin is real, but it is not a 1906. See the area around the '6' in the date. Looks a little discolored right. I'm guessing it used to be a '3' or a '5', the original number was filed down, and the '6' was added. Also, I believe in 1905 the serif of the '1' was changed from a curved to a straight one (that's why there are two varieties of 1905's). This coin has a curved serif which means it must have been struck during or before 1905. I'm far from an expert in this area, but these are things I've heard over the years. If this is a genuine AU, it is a $10,000 coin.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be difficult, but... if you had a coin like this, wouldn't you send it off to PCGS or NGC just for authentication purposes if nothing else?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

<< <i>Not to be difficult, but... if you had a coin like this, wouldn't you send it off to PCGS or NGC just for authentication purposes if nothing else? >>

Absolutely!

• USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link to JHF's 2005 thread about a fake 1906-S on eBay. Curved serif = fake.

• << <i>Not to be difficult, but... if you had a coin like this, wouldn't you send it off to PCGS or NGC just for authentication purposes if nothing else? >>

Depends on the reserve, of course, but perhaps he figures the grading fees exceed the value difference between raw and entombed. image

BTW how will it be shipped USPS Priority from the Phillipines as indicated at the top of the listing? Oh, that's right, later on he says Fedex (uninsurable - great choice for a coin worth $10K). image
    Roy

<< <i>eBay >>

Gone!

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like how he said he'll ship FedEx that can't be insured, but if you return the coin you must send it back FedEx insured:

<< <i> Item must be return after 3 days via FEDEX with insurance to my Home address if not satisfied. >>

I also see that the return can be made anytime AFTER 3 days. I guess you could return the coin a year later.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • I'm glad to see that ebay seems to be getting better when an item is reported as counterfeit. Unfortunately, I had to suffer a lot of abuse from BOTH ebay and the counterfeiters this past winter. But they finally reinstated MY account and removed the vulgar feedback posted by the counterfeiters. They even eventually suspended the counterfeiters after they had defrauded a few more poeple out of thousands of dollars. But I still don't think they wanted to stop these guys, since they got a commission on each sale, twice if PayPal was used to pay. At least this one is gone - noticed that it was ended early due to an "error" in the listing.
  • An "error"? You're being charitable today. Any collector I've met in the Philippines knows how to tell an obviously bogus 06-S peso from the real thing -- just as well as they know how to brush their teeth.

I agree with Mr. IloiloKano, though, that the evidence is out on whether or not eBay REALLY, REALLY in their heart of hearts wants to clean out the counterfeiters. I've seen too many of the bogus 06-S pesos go through to completion even after they were notified, to be convinced. Maybe they're beginning to heat from some of the local d.a.'s in the States. Unfortunately, it's probably only that which will cause them to clean up their act.

And by the way, Mr. Iloilo, I have no objection to going to Iloilo -- except a well-founded fear of kidnap gangs and the NPA, both of which are active in that neck of the woods, eh?

But when you get to Manila -- look me up. Would be glad to meet with you, and perhaps you could join one of our coin nights.

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • There is now a very good chance you will see another 1906 S peso in the near future from this seller being listed on eBay. Why? Check this listing that just ended.
    PHILIPPINES USA ADMIN 1 PESO 1906S KM-168
    It is authentic? I think the picture is, but I don't know about the seller. For me, it was worth taking a chance with a bid of 32,500 PhP, but I was outbid by visualjava1216.

What does everyone here think? I'll be taking another chance on his 1906 Proof Peso in less than 5 minutes, though I still wonder if the listing is legit. Maybe I'll get screwed, but I believe it is worth the chance.
  • Here is the link for the 1906 Proof Peso.
    PHILIPPINES USA ADMIN 1 PESO 1906 PRF KM-168 ...
    and I won it for $435.31!

If I can get him to ship it Insured Express Mail Service, the total should be around $460, which is pretty good for an coin which is easily worth $800! If I didn't get screwed, I'll probably kick myself for not placing a 50,000 PhP snipe bid on the 1906S, which would be a $2,000 coin. However, I was a bit turned off by the polishing, and the proof appears to be quite appealing, though it clearly has been handled.

If I actually receive the item I won, I will definately have mixed feelings, having not bid higher for the more valuable coin.

Please chime in and state your odds on my actually getting that coin in hand.