Home Sports Talk
Options

Sports Illustrated ranking of all 32 NFL quarterbacks

Let the arguments begin!!!

Like all great sports arguments, this debate began at a bar, with a number of SI.com colleagues earlier this week. The challenge: rank the 32 projected starting quarterbacks. The criteria: how will they perform in 2007, factoring intangibles such as winning and leadership along with statistics. Marc Bulger may have better numbers than Tom Brady, but that doesn't make Bulger more valuable.

After No. 5, this gets very difficult, but if you disagree with any of my rankings, I'll gladly set you straight in a FanNation Throwdown at any time.

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Carson Palmer
Drew Brees
Philip Rivers
Donovan McNabb
Ben Roethlisberger
Marc Bulger
Matt Hasselbeck
Michael Vick
Tony Romo
Matt Leinart
Jay Cutler
Vince Young
Brett Favre
Steve McNair
Alex Smith
Jeff Garcia
Jake Delhomme
Chad Pennington
Jon Kitna
Eli Manning
Damon Huard
Trent Green (assuming he's a Dolphin)
Jason Campbell
Rex Grossman
Byron Leftwich
J.P. Losman
Matt Schaub
Josh McCown
Tarvaris Jackson
Charlie Frye

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why Jay Cutler got ranked so high? He is a 2nd year player who started only a few games after Denver benched Jake The Snake. Maybe he is ranked on potential only. Am I missing something or do the Raiders not have any QB listed? Perhaps Jamarcus Russell should be ranked in the middle soley based upon his physical size and the fact that he can throw the ball over 70 yards.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a joke right? I'd place Bulger 3rd right behind Manning and Brady. After those three and possibly Palmer the QBs in the NFL are rather weak.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Cutler is in the right place, more or less. I'd move Bulger, VY, and Tavaris J up...and Favre, Romo, and Vick down. Sorry to be imprecise.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I would rank those with experience like McNair amd Garcia over some of those listed with little, and pretty much poor, NFL experience. Looks pretty good overall. I think we are in one of the few times in NFL history the clear best QB is among us.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Tony Romo at 11?!?

Laces up!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would rank those with experience like McNair amd Garcia over some of those listed with little, and pretty much poor, NFL experience. Looks pretty good overall. I think we are in one of the few times in NFL history the clear best QB is among us.

Mark >>

what in 1995-7 Favre wasnt hands down the best QB??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what in 1995-7 Favre wasnt hands down the best QB?? >>

First of all, he said "one of the few times," not the only time.

I'll grant you '95 and '96. You could make a reasonable argument for Elway in '97. Favre had slightly better numbers for the most part, but Elway wasn't far behind, and he did get the ring that year. If Favre was the best in '97, it wasn't "hands down."
  • Options
    T-Jack is better than 31st, you will all see soon. Im not saying he is top 10, but come on.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Carson is my man but im kinda surprised his is #3 especially with the way brees played last season...Bulger needs to go up where as Rothbo, romo, leinart, and cutler need to go down, down and down!
    life's a garden baby, dig it!
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Michigan, your rankings are interesting.

Is there going to be an official "Sports Illustrated" rankings list of the quarterbacks featured as op-story on the SI website, or is this just a bar debate with your colleagues? In any event, lists like this are fun to guess at among sports fans.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Marc Bulger may have better numbers than Tom Brady, but that doesn't make Bulger more valuable.
    >>

But somehow it makes Bulger WAY more valuable than a QB who brought his team to a SB last year?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    To the guy in last place: Sorry, Charlie. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars