Home Metal Detecting
Options

HELP PLEASE

gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
ok well i jsut got my self a metal detector, and well now it is not working i have tried everything i can think of and no it wont work, it workedthe first night i got it, then i tried using it yesterday and today and it just wouldn't work. ive replaced the batteries and fiddled with the cords but i just cant seem to get it to work, any help? PLEASE

gene2393

Comments

• Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Gene, what make/model did you buy?
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    New or used detector?

If your detector seems dead (no sound/response to metal objects) then these are some typical items to check:

1. Test batteries for voltage or try brand new batteries know to be good.

2. Clean the battery connections/terminals. Remove any green corrossion.

3. Is the coil plugged in/attached properly? Coil wire look ok?

4. Headphones or speaker broken? Try different headphones or check wire from speaker to circ. board.

5. Wires from battery pack/batteries to circuit board broken?

6. Controls set properly? Discrimination and Sensitivity set at midrange rather than set to max or min? Not in battery test mode?

7. If unit was allowed to get wet or dropped, the circuit board may have gotten damaged.

If it's not completely dead, then you really need to check that you are setting the controls correctly.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    How did you know it was working before? Did you pass the coil over a metallic object?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a new detector or a used one?
    Al
  • Options

<< <i>Is this a new detector or a used one? Al[/qIt must be an older unit.
    Gene said it was: whites coinmaster 2/d

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    its an older model, whites coinmaster 2d, model 2trd(last digit has been sratched out). the detector hasn't really been used much over the last 5-8 years, its been just sitting there. a family friends mother used to work and sell the detectors for whites. ive checked the battery connection and all wires, everything is in good shape... coils in good shaoe also...

gene2393