Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Complete PSA Graded 1948 Bowman Set 8.34 GPA For Sale

I just listed the set in my ebay store. I am looking to make a fast sale for a reasonable offer. It took a lot of time and cash to put this set together in top condition. All cards are PSA 8 (NQ) or better, including many PSA 9 HOFs. Here's the link. Ebay link.

There are pictures of each card in my registry set PSA Registry. The set is currently ranked as the 5th finest.
View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store

Comments

• wow - thats a nice set - that ralph kiner is amazing looking ! - good luck with ur sale !
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
    2008 ring kings cut signatures
    any Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Keith Hernandez cards in (10)
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Sweet Set.

The Musial is Incredible!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job putting that one together....best of luck with the sale.
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Great set. What is the SMR value?
    I found my SMR. A PSA 8 set is valued at $13,620. A PSA 9 set is valued at $49,935.

Your set has a 8.34 GPA and you are asking $50,000?
  • BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    If you track the prices of the cards you will find that most of the high grade 48 Bowmans sell for significantly more than SMR. I also have most of the HOFs in PSA 9. Take a look at the notes below the set description in SMR and you will see some examples of the premiums paid for high grade examples.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the set. Hope you get a solid offer. Do you think offering free shipping is a red flag?
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭
    beautiful set!!!!!

good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

I have no idea what the shipping will be. I will send it registered mail insured and I just plan to leave myself enough room to include shipping. I would hope that my 2,300+ feedback and history of selling high dollar cards would overcome anyone's concerns about free shipping.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I found my SMR. A PSA 8 set is valued at $13,620. A PSA 9 set is valued at $49,935.

Your set has a 8.34 GPA and you are asking $50,000? >>

Good point. We all know that the SMR is usually spot on with their prices for vintage cards, so there's no way the seller could possibly justify this price.

BTW, I'm looking for a 1962 Landrum in PSA 8. SMR is $28, but I really need the card so I'd be willing to pay up to $50 for it. PM me if you're interested in taking advantage of this fantastic offer.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    smr is also only a statistic, nothing more or less.

i don't know about '48 bowman, but for most sets smr is not necessarily close to what street value is. especially for more vintage sets also.

not saying anything either way here, but just pointing out smr doesn't determine value w/ 100% accuracy.

julen
    RIP GURU
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    using a more accurate guide based on recent selling prices I came up with $37,306 as a guide value. that does not take into account if the set is hot or not and prices are rising or falling , also to have done all the legwork of putting it together should add some value to the sell price. I would say something in the high 30's - low 40's would be accurate if someone was looking to get a gorgeous set all in one swoop.
  • DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Boopotts,

Hmmm, I paid $4,000 for mine--

I think $50K is a fair price.

Good luck!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Not to be disrespectful here but whenever someone says to me that the price I'm asking is way over book I simply tell them to buy it from the book.

Is this set overpriced? perhaps, perhaps not.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

My take is---i have the set,you dont.... along the line of Win P
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I've had many a dealer tell me "They are your cards, you name the price." In this case they are Dave's cards, his price. I ran the same numbers as packcollector and it looks like a couple year project at a price similar to the one he quoted. If you try to do it much quicker you could easily end up spending more than what Dave is asking.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Fantastic set and very hard to complete in above 8's across the board. I hope some well-heeled collector can pull that trigger. Good luck with your sale.
    His set and he can name any price he wants. Personally I think Dave shuld be rewarded for all the time he spent in putting together the set and that he should price it even higher.
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Incredible set David and one that is not easily duplicated!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • I doubt e bay will be a good place to sell a great set like this, i think it will need to go to auction to get the bids it deserves. PB
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Those Berra & Spahn cards are classics! But, that Musial is friggin' beautiful!

Good luck Dave!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
    The set is now up on ebay with a $.99 opening bid and a reasonable reserve to protect my investment. If you are interested in bidding, here's a link to the auction.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I hit it old school for you to get things started.

SL
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
    Thanks. Appreciate the support.
    Very nice set, I'm confused though as you dropped the price 100k?

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>Very nice set, I'm confused though as you dropped the price 100k?

Steve >>

It was listed at $150,000 at one point?

Sorry my mistake, was listed for 50k the first time around too.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Set was always listed at $50,000 asking price. I figured that I would try an auction with reasonable reserve to see what kind of bids I receive. Up to over $12,000 in less than a day. That only covers the market value of the Musial and Spahn 9s so still very low. We'll see where the bids go. I would prefer to sell the set on ebay but may have to break it up or go the large auction house route.
    Good luck!

Very beautiful set.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    David, very nice set , I threw some bids in , probably not close , do you think this will sell on ebay. I think your best bet would be to look at any current aggressive bidders and try to sell it to them, if there are any . good luck
    Never know. Now up to $15,100. Thanks for the bids. I suspect that the high bidder has not yet lobbed in a bid. I think that ebay is worth a shot before sending it to a big auction house. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
    Bid is up to $28,100 today. Definitely moving in the right direction. Another few bids and ebay just might be the right forum for selling the set!
  • jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    Nice set - though NO WAY would I pay more than $49,856.32 for it....

Good luck on your sale. Don't forget to buy me something nice when you sell it.
    The set ended at $28,100, which is below my reserve.

May be time to send the set to an auction house. I'm going to give ebay one more shot with a lower reserve unless I get a solid offer.