Home Sports Talk
Options

No triple crown winner this year

The horse that won the Kentucky Derby came in second at the Preakness.

No triple crown winner since 1978.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Close finish, thought Street Sense had it won when he took the lead late in the stretch but he seemed to pull up just a little bit at the very end. Triple Cown is so tough to do, more so now than in the past. Charismatic would have done it several years back if he had not pulled up lame at the very end of the Belmont Stakes. A great horse he was.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The horse that won the Kentucky Derby came in second at the Preakness.

No triple crown winner since 1978. >>

I was there at Belmont Park that day when Affirmed beat Alydar. It was a great horse race.

People forget in the 70s there were three Triple Crown winners. I was also at Belmont Park when Seattle Slew won his Triple Crown the previous year in 1977. Nobody at Belmont that day in 1978 thought they were witnessing an event that wouldn't happen again through at least the year 2007.
  • Options
    Probably none in baseball either since AROD slowed down.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options

I was there at Belmont Park that day when Affirmed beat Alydar. It was a great horse race.

Those were some great races! They ran 1-2 in the Derby and the Preakness, too. Alydar was an outstanding horse. There were three Triple Cown winners in five years (1973, 1977 & 1978), and now none in 30 years. Steve, were you at the '73 Belmont to see Secretariat obliterate the short field for that 31-length victory?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>

Those were some great races! They ran 1-2 in the Derby and the Preakness, too. Alydar was an outstanding horse. There were three Triple Cown winners in five years (1973, 1977 & 1978), and now none in 30 years. Steve, were you at the '73 Belmont to see Secretariat obliterate the short field for that 31-length victory? >>

Anyone interested in Secretariat's great race at the Belmont should check it out on You Tube. I've seen it a number of times
    and it still moves me close to tears.
  • Options

Those were some great races! They ran 1-2 in the Derby and the Preakness, too. Alydar was an outstanding horse. There were three Triple Cown winners in five years (1973, 1977 & 1978), and now none in 30 years. Steve, were you at the '73 Belmont to see Secretariat obliterate the short field for that 31-length victory? >>

Anyone interested in Secretariat's great race at the Belmont should check it out on You Tube. I've seen it a number of times

Thanks, Michigan! I had never seen the race in its entirety before. Terrific!

• Options

<< <i>

We thought about going up to see it, but didn't do it. We lived in Philly and visiting Belmont and Aqueduct is not a bad day trip at all. I had previosly been to Belmont and Aqueduct dozens of times. I would have gladly traded seeing those other two Triple Crowns to have been there to watch Secretariat live that day.

Watched it on TV of course and hearing that call by Chic Anderson still gives me chills. "...moving like a tremendous machine..." The race call was available for free on the internet somewhere, but it's been awhile since I listened to it so I'm not sure if it's still available.
  • Options

<< <i>I was there at Belmont Park that day when Affirmed beat Alydar. It was a great horse race.

Thanks, Michigan! I had never seen the race in its entirety before. Terrific! >>

Oh geez - I posted without having read the other posts yet - I will check that out. Thanks!