Home Sports Talk
Options

Should Bud Selig be present with Barry Bonds hits #756?

Choose from the following:

A. Yes
B. No
C. Unsure
D. Doesn't matter either way

Comments

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Should be "when" Barry Bonds hits #756. Sorry, not much sleep last night. image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes he should, like it or not, hate him or not, it is a monumental baseball moment.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes he should, like it or not, hate him or not, it is a monumental baseball moment. >>

.....one AROD better break
  • Options
    He probably should be there but I'm sure he would rather be somewhere else, it will be an ackward situation. Hank Aaron says he will not be there.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    F yeah he should be there. He ignored all the signs that there was something wrong with the game and the players in it. He can't ignore the fact that this is a problem he helped create. He needs to lie in the bed he helped make.
    Travis
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Sure he should be there.

He should be there and allow Hank Aaron to give him half a dozen free shots to the mouth in front of a national audience.

Let Hammerin' Hank have his day with Selig for screwing with one of the greatest sports records.

Don't know about Hank saying that he will not attend. I understand his thinking but some may use it against him.
  • Options
    Hammer Hank should be there.. and when he has his record broken... stand up and face away from the field. hopefully all fans follow suit and all the JuiceMan hears is dead silence.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selig will be there. Why? Because it's good business to be there.
  • Options
    Selig is posturing now; in an interview last night on TV he was wavering and in the paper today he hinted at putting his loyalties to Hank Aaron on the back burner and being present when Bonds hits the record breaking homer.
  • Options
    Who cares if The Commish is or isn't there.....the record gets broken...move on....it's only a story if you want it to be
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    If Selig thinks that the whole thing is legitimate then he should be there.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Legitimate or not, Selig should be there. As much as I can't stand Bonds, Selig should be there for BASEBALL and its fans.
  • Options

<< <i>Legitimate or not, Selig should be there. As much as I can't stand Bonds, Selig should be there for BASEBALL and its fans. >>

I suspect he will want it to be rather low keyed if possible, most likely a quick run out onto the field for a handshake with Bonds, pose
    for the cameras and then a quick exit.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think it'd be Selig's duty to be there. Then again, was he at Cal Ripken's 2131 game?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    yes

one of the if not the biggest records in baseball!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I think Raffy, Sammy, Big Mac, Petey boy, and all the rest who believe , that going the extra mile is something to celebrate. To all the politicians that won by rigging a fixed election, they ought to be there too, to celebrate what Dark Helmit , in the movie SPACE BALLS , stated that evil will always triump over good , because good is dumb.

To all the people that believe that trying your best, on just your own effort, just remember that we all must be stupid, racist, anti-whatever, steroid-phobics, baseball fundamentalist, just plain out of "touch". To quote the lovers of all of the above, "We need to get over it". I wonder why Hank is not going to be there ? He must be out of touch. Gosh maybe he needs to get over it.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Of course Selig should be there. It's the biggest record in baseball. Bonds is the greatest home run hitter of this generation. It makes me sad that I think he did a little extra to get where he is at because I think he would still be there even if he hadn't.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    It's not like Bud would be setting a precedent. Commissioner Kuhn didn't attend Aaron's game when he broke Babe's record.

SI Story

<< <i>He [Aaron] graciously accepted encomiums from his boss, Braves Board Chairman Bill Bartholomay, and Monte Irvin, representing Commissioner Bowie Kuhn, who was unaccountably in Cleveland this eventful night. >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Pete Rose's 4,192 was a big moment in baseball also. Was the commish at that game?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he should be there but he may have to attend an awful lot of games. At Bonds current pace of 1 HR per month he may not get there !
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think he should be there but he may have to attend an awful lot of games. At Bonds current pace of 1 HR per month he may not get there ! >>

image I was thinkin the same thing!
  • Options
    This is one of those awkward situations where you have to do something, even if you have to hold your nose.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care if Bud is there or not. It does not interest me in the least. I won't be watching when Bonds hits his "record breaking" home run.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Yes he must be there.
    You can't reprimand Bonds on speculation that he took steroids.
    Where's the proof.
    This is America.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes he must be there.
    You can't reprimand Bonds on speculation that he took steroids.
    Where's the proof.
    This is America. >>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is just too funny on so many levels.

{If you didn't mean it to be funny, then sorry, I'll be quiet now.}
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    At this rate, Selig might be retired by the time Bonds gets there. Hasn't Selig said he will retire when his contract is up in 08 or 09? He might just dodge the bullet on this one.
    Travis
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    no, and the record should be declared to still be Aaron's.

The season HR record should also be declared vacant and returned to Maris.

Both just my humble opinions