Home Sports Talk
Options

Am I the only one agonizing through the NBA playoffs?

kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
I am admittedly not a basketball fan at all. I can't even get into the NCAA tournament. I find it only slightly more entertaining than soccer. So I have never really paid attention to anything at all that goes on within the sport. I can not believe how long the NBA drags on their playoffs. It seems like this has been going on for a month now and there are still 2 more rounds left?! A day off after each game?! Travel between each game?! I think this is the prime example of how not to set up a playoff system. Which would you rather see in a month, two opening rounds of the NBA, or the crowning of a World Series or Superbowl champ?

It just seems ridiculous to me how long this is taking. Eliminate a round (what are you losing, a few sub .500 teams), play on consecutive days, and you might actually begin appeal to the casual fan.

Had to vent because I would much rather hear about MLB than the Suns/Spurs series for the 13th consecutive day.
Travis

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont even watch ESPN much anymore because of the NHL and NBA, when their seasons end I go back to watching it.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel the NBA is doing a remarkably good job. Really - I mean it. Great product, outstanding promotions, terrific competition, and simply wonderful people involved in the league. Overall a big A+ from me and I can't wait to see more of it. Too much isn't enough of the exciting NBA playoffs.

Question. What is the NBA?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I am a big basketball fan - and have played the game my whole life. Having said that, I can say that I really love the NCAA tournament (one of the best sporting events of the year) and the college game, but the NBA in recent years is tough to watch. There are some good players (Steve Nash is outstanding) but the NBA seems filled with thugs and knuckleheads - and the playoffs are indeed too long and dull. When we had the Bulls with Jordan and company, or the Celtics with Bird, or the Lakers with Magic, the NBA playoffs were awesome. Not sure if we will ever see that again, but I hope so.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Nets / Cavs series has all of the sudden become interesting. If they win in Jersey it is Game 7 after being down 3-1.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I'll watch games for specific players... esp. Jason Kidd and NJ. I would not be surprised to see a game seven in that series. Overall most of the games lack the true rivalries and intesity I recall with the Celtics/Lakers and even Celtics/Pistons
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The preseason camps start at the end of September and preseason games are held in October. The regular season is too long (82 games from Halloween until mid April) and the playoffs are too long (mid April to early to mid June (with multiple days off between games). In summary, the NBA season runs from late September until mid June, between 8-9 months. Way too long.

How about cutting 15-20 games out of the regular season and ending it in mid March. Then start the playoffs but have the 4 rounds of playoffs take place in 5 weeks tops so that the Champion is crowned in late April or by May first. Make the teams play every day instead of every 2 or 3 days.

Doing so may make casual fan interest increase, but overall revenue would probably decrease. Also, the league should get rid of the thugs and adopt rules that promote fast paced up and down, run and gun basketball instead of a football game disguised as a basketball game. Also, try to reduce the ever so boring "the guy with the ball refuses to pass, shoots a low percentage shot as the shot clock expires and the other four guys on the floor stand around picking their noses" type of action.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>I am admittedly not a basketball fan at all. I can't even get into the NCAA tournament. I find it only slightly more entertaining than soccer. So I have never really paid attention to anything at all that goes on within the sport. I can not believe how long the NBA drags on their playoffs. It seems like this has been going on for a month now and there are still 2 more rounds left?! A day off after each game?! Travel between each game?! I think this is the prime example of how not to set up a playoff system. Which would you rather see in a month, two opening rounds of the NBA, or the crowning of a World Series or Superbowl champ?

It just seems ridiculous to me how long this is taking. Eliminate a round (what are you losing, a few sub .500 teams), play on consecutive days, and you might actually begin appeal to the casual fan.

Had to vent because I would much rather hear about MLB than the Suns/Spurs series for the 13th consecutive day. >>

The World series isn't quick, especially after the new TV changes. The NFL is ONCE a week. Then they skip a week before the Super Bowl. If anybody takes too long, the NFL and its 4 games in 5 weeks is the model of "drags on". Don't get me wrong, I love the NFL... But speed it up.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    waiting for football
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Some of the games in the western division are pretty good, like Phoenix - San Antonio.

But a bit hard to stay up that late here on the east coast.
    Capecards
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    I'm a BASEBALL fan that can't stand the NBA------HOWEVER------ I'm a huge San Antonio Spurs fan!!!!!!!!! They are a class franchise with good guys on the team; if only DUNCAN could make free-throwsimage.. And, when the Spurs are playing in the playoffs and beating thugs like DENVER and PHOENIX, I come out of the woodwork to support the Spurs. GO SPURS GOimageimage
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options

<< <i>I'm a BASEBALL fan that can't stand the NBA------HOWEVER------ I'm a huge San Antonio Spurs fan!!!!!!!!! They are a class franchise with good guys on the team; if only DUNCAN could make free-throwsimage.. And, when the Spurs are playing in the playoffs and beating thugs like DENVER and PHOENIX, I come out of the woodwork to support the Spurs. GO SPURS GOimageimage >>

LOL... I usually don't watch the NBA until playoff time. I might go to a game during the season once in a while, but I'm just not a fan of what the NBA has become. I see teams full of "high-flyers" and good "energy" guys, but I really don't see too many teams that actually have what I would consider to be quality all-around players. Many can't even hit a free throw consistently enough. I'm in Michigan, and thus a Pistons fan by default. They do have as solid of a "team" as anybody. But I just cannot stand the lackluster performances they have allowing teams to stay around that shouldn't. They get a nice lead, then in the typical new NBA fashion, start trying blind passes and launching threes until they allow the other team to come back. Yawn...

But I do find it funny that those two locks in the West, Dallas and Phoenix, are now history before the conference finals - lol.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    NBA - regular season much too long and too many marginal teams qualify for the playoffs just because more games means more money.

Basketball in June? That is the time of year for outdoor sports, basketball just seems out of place.

David Stern - your "product" is stale and is on the shelf for too much of the year.
  • Options
    SciotoScioto Posts: 955
    The NBA season is one long agony. Doesn't one basketbrawl season run nearly 13 months now?
    GO AHEAD! I DOUBLE-DOG DARE YOU TO RATE ME A 1!
  • Options

<< <i>The NBA season is one long agony. Doesn't one basketbrawl season run nearly 13 months now? >>

Actually, I feel that every professional sport could cut their season in half and make it more interesting. 160+ games, 80+ games... arg. Hell, the NFL only has 20 games max (playoffs incl) and still takes 5 months to determine the winner.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    The NBA Playoffs are the best competition in the world, in my opinion.
    The only thing I think needs to be changed is the playoff format - I think they should re-seed after each round like all the other sports do now. Then you wouldn't have the best two teams meeting in the conference semifinals like they have the last two years.

For a basketball fan to not like the NBA Playoffs usually has nothing to do with the actual game....
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>The NBA Playoffs are the best competition in the world, in my opinion.
    The only thing I think needs to be changed is the playoff format - I think they should re-seed after each round like all the other sports do now. Then you wouldn't have the best two teams meeting in the conference semifinals like they have the last two years. >>

This is a great point - the Suns / Spurs should have been the Western Conference finals, not the Jazz / Spurs.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    NBA playoffs - boring

NCAA basketball playoffs - One and done if you don't win, that kind of pressure makes it a lot more exciting.