Home U.S. Coin Forum

Shipwreck Nets Biggest haul ever $500M

bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
TAMPA, Fla. - Deep-sea explorers said Friday they have mined what could be the richest shipwreck treasure in history, bringing home 17 tons of colonial-era silver and gold coins from an undisclosed site in the Atlantic Ocean. Estimated value: $500 million.

A jet chartered by Tampa-based Odyssey Marine Exploration landed in the United States recently with hundreds of plastic containers brimming with coins raised from the ocean floor, Odyssey co-chairman Greg Stemm said. The more than 500,000 pieces are expected to fetch an average of $1,000 each from collectors and investors

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

Comments

• sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    I wonder what kind of toning they achieved down there on the ocean floor. Maybe I can pick up a nice P-01 Bust for my collection?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly silver coins...500,000 pieces...$1000 each from collectors and investors...I doubt it.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another quote from the aricle: News Story Link

In keeping with the secretive nature of the project dubbed "Black Swan," Odyssey also isn't talking yet about the types, denominations and country of origin of the coins.

Bruyer said he observed a wide range of varieties and dates of likely uncirculated currency in much better condition than artifacts yielded by most shipwrecks of a similar age.

The Black Swan coins — mostly silver pieces — likely will fetch several hundred dollars to several thousand dollars each, with some possibly commanding much more, he said. Value is determined by rarity, condition and the story behind them.

Controlled release of the coins into the market along with their expected high value to collectors likely will keep prices at a premium, he said.

I love news stories like this - but I WANT PICTURES image

Edit: CNN Has the story too now
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A jet chartered by Tampa-based Odyssey Marine Exploration landed in the United States recently with hundreds of plastic containers brimming with coins raised from the ocean floor, Odyssey co-chairman Greg Stemm said >>

Wow, it must've been a modern shipwreck for all the coins to have gone down in plastic containers. imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh wonderful, more NGC "shipwreck effect" crap.
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A jet chartered by Tampa-based Odyssey Marine Exploration landed in the United States recently with hundreds of plastic containers brimming with coins raised from the ocean floor, Odyssey co-chairman Greg Stemm said >>

Wow, it must've been a modern shipwreck for all the coins to have gone down in plastic containers. imageimage >>

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Just what we need. A half a billion in stuff to rattle around the market while all the other "news" is floating round and round.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Wow, it must've been a modern shipwreck for all the coins to have gone down in plastic containers. imageimage >>

Hey LM, I understand it is hundreds and hundreds of plastic buckets of holey coins! j/k

This is the only pic I see, but looks like larger silver pieces in the open bucket. Look at all the buckets though

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • I really fail to see why the shipwreck coins get bagged so bad around here. This will generate intrest in the hobby and save coins that were lost forever. This should be a happy moment for the collecting community. The longer Odysey says viable, the better the odds of them finding truely rare coins.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I really fail to see why the shipwreck coins get bagged so bad around here. This will generate intrest in the hobby and save coins that were lost forever. This should be a happy moment for the collecting community. The longer Odysey says viable, the better the odds of them finding truely rare coins. >>

Shipwreck coins are cool. I'm glad that many numismatic treasures have been recovered, especially given the cool history.

My problem with the process isn't the coins themseles, but with the hype the marketers place on the coins. These are generally problem coins selling for way over "problem coin" money and sold as if the market thinks that way, too.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hey LM, I understand it is hundreds and hundreds of plastic buckets of holey coins! j/k

This is the only pic I see, but looks like larger silver pieces in the open bucket. Look at all the buckets though

More buckets......

• dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I really fail to see why the shipwreck coins get bagged so bad around here. This will generate intrest in the hobby and save coins that were lost forever. This should be a happy moment for the collecting community. The longer Odysey says viable, the better the odds of them finding truely rare coins. >>

Shipwreck coins are cool. I'm glad that many numismatic treasures have been recovered, especially given the cool history.

My problem with the process isn't the coins themseles, but with the hype the marketers place on the coins. These are generally problem coins selling for way over "problem coin" money and sold as if the market thinks that way, too. >>

Well said.
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I had heard that some bust dollars were found too, any confirmations?
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭
    I think the whole thing is terrific. I love stories of found treasure, who doesn't? I can remember thinking how cool it would be to find "treasure". Now a good story of sunken treasure found... I look forward to more details, it makes me want to dig out my metal detector and go hunting again.
    Rob the Newbie
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on the exact "colonial era", silver coins could be very interesting. There was some shipwreck found up around Maine (?) in the 1960s (?) that had a pile of Massachusetts Tree silver...
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMR currently up about 50% at 7.02
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I would think these coins are damaged and sell for a discount. I will never understand (or pay) a premium for the coins.

You don't pay a premium for coin dug up with a metal detector
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the ship really is 400 years old, wouldn't the coins most likely be of European origin?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the ship really is 400 years old, wouldn't the coins most likely be of European origin? >>

Of course, but I didn't see any mention of a specific date.
  • StampAlarmStampAlarm Posts: 1,668
    How cool to be in on something like this.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem with the process isn't the coins themseles, but with the hype the marketers place on the coins. These are generally problem coins selling for way over "problem coin" money and sold as if the market thinks that way, too.image
    500,000 coins will take quite a while to catagorize and holder. I may ask for a job. image Unless they get a lot of heavy gold coins, there is no way it will reach $500M. It is all darkside material.
    They kept trying to sell me some of the junk seated coins from the last time they found a shipwreck for 10-20 times the real value. They were practically hounding me to buy some and even called me a few times. I certainly do not want a 1860-o liberty seated half dollar with a lot of sea salt deteriation for $1000. In fact i do not even want one for $100, or for that matter i do not want one at all. Coming from a famous shipwreck means nothing to me if i don't like the coin. The gold though may be better preserved. Bob
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    LOL.. some people on here are already complaining(and agreeing) about over hyped coins when they just released the story. It's a great story IMHO from a historical basis. From what I understand the silver is in much better shape than many of the previous shipwreck coin discoveries and has some interesting pieces...the cooler water being much less corrosive, than more of the tropical water discoveries.
  • BlackBeardBlackBeard Posts: 1,064

<< <i> From what I understand the silver is in much better shape than many of the previous shipwreck coin discoveries and has some interesting pieces...the cooler water being much less corrosive, than more of the tropical water discoveries. >>

Sounds like 20-40 times more than real value now. Great find, very interesting and I think for the most part people are happy about it. The point of previous posters,I believe, is they command a strong to very strong premium mearly because of there method of aquisition. While it is indeed cool that it came from a shipwreck, I agree with the other, it's not going to draw a large premium from me. If I desire one of these coins I will simply wait until these flood the market and go grab one of the non-shipwreck version(if there are examples) that has plummeted in value.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Hey Blackbeard, is this one of your treasures?
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • COOL!! image
  • carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    If this is a 400 year old ship or even older I guess any Lincoln Cents would be pretty badly contaminated by now. Think there was any Roosevelt Dimes there?
    Carl
  • I would like to see some of the gold pieces................
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shipwrecks are cool but when they start hyping the material and commanding a huge premium for the problem coins brought up from wreck it's not as exciting.
  • HMS Sussex

I believe this to be the shipwreck in question.

Bob
  • MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    HMS Sussex

No, that is actually another shipwreck that OMR has. This one was a hush-hush operation that coincided with the timing of the Sussex. They haven't announced anything from the Sussex, yet.

<< <i>Hey Blackbeard, is this one of your treasures? >>

Aye matey. 'twas soon to be, but they were fortunate enough not to cross me path before taking on water.image

• << <i>HMS Sussex

No, that is actually another shipwreck that OMR has. This one was a hush-hush operation that coincided with the timing of the Sussex. They haven't announced anything from the Sussex, yet. >>

You're right. I see now that this ship was found about 40 miles off the southwestern tip of England, so it can't be the Sussex.

Bob

• << <i>I think the whole thing is terrific. I love stories of found treasure, who doesn't? I can remember thinking how cool it would be to find "treasure". Now a good story of sunken treasure found... I look forward to more details... >>

I'm with you! Cool beans!
    Exclusively collecting Capped Bust Halves in VF to AU, especially rarity 3 and up.
    Joe G.
    Great BST purchases completed with commoncents123, p8nt, blu62vette and Stuart. Great coin swaps completed with rah1959, eyoung429 and Zug. Top-notch consignment experience with Russ.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I think it's somewhat amuzing that all these shipwrecks are full of gold and silver coins...after a few ales I guess it was good sport to load up the ship with precious metals and sail to another country through a storm....
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like the shipwreck effect junk at $500-$1000 these will suck real money away from other parts of the coin market (even
    Moderns). And down the road the owners of salt water silver will get an unfortunate surprise.....regardless of how cool a
    treasure may sound.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just like the shipwreck effect junk at $500-$1000 these will suck real money away from other parts of the coin market (even
    Moderns). And down the road the owners of salt water silver will get an unfortunate surprise.....regardless of how cool a
    treasure may sound.

roadrunner >>

I was surprised to see this Shipwreck Effect half from the SS Republic at the recent Heritage Bullet auction. It fetched $431 against an original price of $1000 or more.
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had heard that some bust dollars were found too, any confirmations? >>

From a ship that supposedly went down in Colonial times????

Per representations made in court by Odyssey's lawyer this was a 400 year old shipwreck from the 17th Century which was found 40 miles off the Soutwest tip of England. (Of course those statements in court were made prior to the "cloak of secrecy" that for marketing reasons has been added.) Odyssey only owns two boats and only one is capable of retrieving treasure from the sea with the robotic system in place. Not sure how "secret" this whole operation was given the ability to follow any vessel in the world by satellite. Someone clever enough to invest a little surveilance effort would have been able to know for some time now that Odyssey was involved in a major salvage operation. Just back trace whoever sold their Odyssey huge blocks of OMR shares today when they jumped up 80% to see who knew.
  • ddinkddink Posts: 2,748

<< <i>I would think these coins are damaged and sell for a discount. I will never understand (or pay) a premium for the coins. >>

Simple answer: history. These coins have an interesting provenance. Will I buy any? No. But I won't ever buy a Picasso either (they are ugly as sin)...but that doesn't stop some people from liking them!

<< <i>I think it's somewhat amuzing that all these shipwrecks are full of gold and silver coins...after a few ales I guess it was good sport to load up the ship with precious metals and sail to another country through a storm.... >>

The couldn't exactly do an electronic funds transfer...nor could they turn on the Weather Channel to look for storms =)

Look at it in perspective: probably 99% of all shipwrecks don't contain any treasure. But why would anyone search for THEM?? Also, probably 95% or more of the treasure transported this way was securely and safely delivered. It's just the rare failure that makes big news.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like the shipwreck effect junk at $500-$1000 these will suck real money away from other parts of the coin market (even
    treasure may sound.

On the plus side, it will probably generate considerable excitement and positive publicity for the hobby - including other parts of the coin market.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    $1,000 per coin is ridiculously optimistic pricing. I would think $100 a coin would be more realistic
  • RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CCU and I get to dibs all the Lion Dollars.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>CCU and I get to dibs all the Lion Dollars. >>

Yep. That's 4,379 pig plastic bins full for you, 4,379 big plastic bins full for me.
  • SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683

<< <i>I think it's somewhat amuzing that all these shipwrecks are full of gold and silver coins...after a few ales I guess it was good sport to load up the ship with precious metals and sail to another country through a storm.... >>

Well, I think you have to remember that there were no such things as wire transfers, credit cards, etc ... this was the principal way to transfer funds between overseas locations or travel with wealth and/or purchasing power ...

Best,
    Sunnywood

True, I can picture the King at the port nervously watching a bunch of drunken jokers in a wooden ship riding low in the water, knowing a large sum of money is sailing off into the nearly unknown.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

i have to wonder what special wording will be on the coins that are slabbed?

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file