Home Stamps Forum
Options

Anybody planning on purchasing new issues this year?

I keep telling myself I'm NOT going to buy this year but I can't seem to help myself. I got a copy of USA philatelic in the mail ther other day and ended up ordering 98.00 worth of stuff today. With the star wars sheet and all the new issues and stuff I didn't have from last year, can't beleive it came to that much. I do this about once a year, get an itch and buy a bunch of new issue stuff to get caught up. Oh well, no ebay for me for a while I guess. Does anyone else do this?image

Comments

• Options
    StampAlarmStampAlarm Posts: 1,668
    I seem to always be buying in spurts, but there's no telling what it will be that I buy.

Jerry
  • Options
    I do that kinda stuff all the time. There is joe1957, a coin collector that sells modern stamps, some are very hard to find ( like a sheet of the movie classics) at face value plus a very small s&h. I also got the Marilyn Monroe Legends of Hollywood for face. Even at face value it adds up quick. image
  • Options
    Waste of money IMO. If you just want the stamps to look at and don't mind spending a good chunk of change though, to each his own. I rarely buy new stuff except to mail letters. I do like saving the souvenir sheets, like the Pan Am inverts, Columbians, Trans-Mississippi etc. I wish they would have made the same sort of sheet for the Jamestown anniversary this year but instead we got an expensive triangle sheet of all the same stamp. I think of new issues as expensive wallpaper that on the whole increases very little in value and becomes harder after every rate change to use as postage. Not to mention the fact that nobody knows if the self-adhesive stamps will start to deteriorate over the next 30 to 40 years.
  • Options
    I buy lots of new issues, all the Cdn ones, of course. There are a lot of the new US that I would like as well, especially the Star Wars stuff. Does it matter to me if it increases in value? Not really.

Spurts of purchases, I'm famous for it, but usually it is seeds (flower) that take most of my spare cash.
  • Options
    quarterlvrquarterlvr Posts: 84 ✭✭

Well, I actually went down and bought some panes of the Star Wars issue today, but only a portion will be placed in my collection, the rest will be used for FDCs and for postage. I figure if we as stamp collectors don't use those commemoratives on our mail, there won't be any more commems to be had in used condition anymore. I even got my husband, who is a small business owner trained to use commems on his mail. I still hope to work on the "classic" areas of my collection someday, but right now I just don't have the funds, so collecting recent issues keeps me into collecting.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Due to rate change I am sure a lot are buying them/will buy them.

I pretty much buy them all, but do not go out far on a limb for ones I am missing.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.