Home Sports Talk
Options

"Greatest Living Ballplayer"

I can't find much on who was given this title in the past (besides DiMaggio and Ted Williams). Who else has held this title?
Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

Comments

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Willie Mays currently holds the title, IMHO.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I say Ted Williams...you cant tell me that head isnt still alive!!!
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yankeeno7- Well, with Young Frankenstein as your avatar you would say that.image

I like when Dr. F locked himself in a room with the monster and told his hunchback not to let him out no matter what happened. The monster starts coming towards him and the good doctor immediately lets loose a profanity filled tirade at Igor to let him out. You can predict that would have happened, but it was brilliant how intense Wilder was in that scene. Great movie.
  • Options
    Well, if they ever remade the movie then instead of the brain of Abby Normal, they could use Ted Williams entire head! Oh what a classic it would be!

So instead of dancing to Puttin on the Ritz, the monster could become a smooth hitting baseball player!

Yes, I can see it now! Wilder locked in the room with the monster that has Ted Williams head! Wilder screaming to be let out until Wilder pulls a baseball out of his pocket! The monster begins to cry and him and Wilder go out to a batting cage to work on his skills! Yes! That's it! Im calling Hollywood tomorrow! image
  • Options
    Bob Feller has to be mentioned, especially since good pitching beats good hitting. I give him the nod over Mays.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willie Mays
  • Options
    I'd take Feller image He's a heck of a lot nicer than Willie in person.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭
    couple guys come to mind...Musial, Aaron, Mays, even Griffey Jr. However, I'd have to give the nod to G.L.P. to....

Roger Clemens.

• Options
    Yes, back on topic, I'd have to agree with Feller.
  • Options
    For my money, I would say Nolan Ryan. A class act for 20+ years.
  • Options
    Kind of surprised that no one has considered Mike Schmidt or Yogi Berra? Though they wouldnt be my pick.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bob Feller has to be mentioned, especially since good pitching beats good hitting. I give him the nod over Mays. >>

For many years, Feller was considered "the greatest living right-handed pitcher."

I'm not sure Clemens hasn't taken that from him now.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    My pick would be Johnny Bench

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays. He's in the top 5 all time and the other 4 are all dead (Ruth, Cobb, Williams, Mantle).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    As far as a hitter I think you would have to look at Rose. Say what you want about his choices but he ranks up there. As far as pitching Clemens is awfully high and in the end no one can discount Bonds. For all the bad the man is insane, he is this generations most feared hitter.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    Isn't the title of "Greatest Living Ballplayer' a designation that's given to someone whose not an active player? Personally, I think it should go to Mays.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Rose as a player, too, but no way he's even on the same level as Mays in terms of sheer talent and skill as a ballplayer.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    that is true Mays is on the elite level. never got to see him play and thats what is nice about these threads. i grew up watching rose, mattingly, puckett, bonds, mattingly, gwynn. a difference between generations. no one will ever know.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they
    wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're
    going to feel all day. "
    ~Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    I have to go with Mays
  • Options
    Greatest retired living player - Hank Aaron

Greatest living player (retired or still playing) - Barry Bonds - there is no doubt about it. The guy is a jerk, but as a ballplayer, the guy is a baseball God.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris