Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

No, we should not have to send our coins to PCGS for verification.

Here's my thoughts...

I've seen several people mention that a top set should be required to be sent in to PCGS for verification of ownership, pedigree, etc. This is a bad idea. I don't want to be forced into sending an expensive set of coins off through the mail. The postal service is good most of the time, but stuff happens. I sure would hate to lose a set that took me years and many $$$'s to put together, let alone trying to prove the value of my loss.

Even if they did require this, it wouldn't stop the previously mentioned tactic of cracking the coins out later and reslabbing/reselling them, but keeping the inserts for the Registry.

The bottom line is that cheaters will always find a way to cheat. PCGS should simply establish clear rules and enforce them when necessary.

I am quite sure that any funny business in the registry is very limited. I find it highly unlikely that someone could pull off a scam without someone eventually catching them at it. Then where would they be?

Most of the sets are legitimately owned by all of you fine people here on the boards. If the best set I can put together gets me 10th on a list, then I am proud of my accomplishment and would never consider cheating in any form to raise me in the standings.

Let's just enjoy the Registry and this formum for what it was meant to be - friendly competition, interesting and educational discussion, and buddies to share your latest coin deal with!

Call me naive, but I sleep well at night, and will continue to do so regardless of what happens here.

Ken

P.S. Maybe PCGS could put into the rules that your set is subject to verification by an authorized PCGS dealer, at a time/location convenient to you. That would give them the power to verify questionable sets, without a lot of hassle/expense for the rest of us.

Comments

• Options
    I thought the same thing when I saw that suggestion... no one will ever want to trust a complete set to the risks of the US Mail/FedEx/UPS etc. It's enough risk when you mail them to PCGS for the grading in the first place.

madmike
  • Options
    I totally agree.

NGC dropped the requirement because people didn't want to send them in. I never listed my NGC coins there until they changed policy.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I agree completely! The registry is merely for fun and vanity and is no way required for anything. Let's keep it fun. If someone cheats, so be it, let's not get worked up over it.

Just enjoy coin collectingimage

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    That's the reason I didn't even consider an NGC registry at first.
    There was no way I would send them a coin everytime I bought a new
    one.

So I'm against sending them in to be verified but I probably will
    eventually just to get my pedigree on them image

Maybe they could put a '*' next to your entry if you coins
    have been verified. Then you would know who you are definitely
    competing against versus possibly competing against.

Again, I don't think the idea of fake registries is a very big issue.

-Keith H