Home Q & A Forum
Options

Plans to address fake slabs?

ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
In some threads on the forum, we've seen pictures of some very high-quality, convincing counterfeit coins, mostly coming from China. It seems like the quality of these fakes are getting better and better.

I have no doubt these would be ferreted out by PCGS and other reputable services upon submission, as they would likely be out of spec for weight or specific gravity or some such.

But if they can make such good counterfeit coins, could they not also create very good counterfeit PCGS holders (or those of another reputable service)? Seems like the combination of a very real-looking counterfeit coin inside a very real-looking PCGS (or other) holder would be a recipe for absolute disaster in the hobby and the industry as almost all faith in the authenticity of valuable coins (encapsulated or otherwise) would evaporate.

So while I don't expect any details to be divulged (why give the counterfeiters that heads-up?), can you state whether or not PCGS is seriously looking into the possibility that very real-looking counterfeit PCGS holders may hit the coin market? And if so, is PCGS looking into ways to proactively address the situation? (Again, no details are requested, just yes or no).

Comments

• Options

<< <i>In some threads on the forum, we've seen pictures of some very high-quality, convincing counterfeit coins, mostly coming from China. It seems like the quality of these fakes are getting better and better.

I have no doubt these would be ferreted out by PCGS and other reputable services upon submission, as they would likely be out of spec for weight or specific gravity or some such.

But if they can make such good counterfeit coins, could they not also create very good counterfeit PCGS holders (or those of another reputable service)? Seems like the combination of a very real-looking counterfeit coin inside a very real-looking PCGS (or other) holder would be a recipe for absolute disaster in the hobby and the industry as almost all faith in the authenticity of valuable coins (encapsulated or otherwise) would evaporate.

So while I don't expect any details to be divulged (why give the counterfeiters that heads-up?), can you state whether or not PCGS is seriously looking into the possibility that very real-looking counterfeit PCGS holders may hit the coin market? And if so, is PCGS looking into ways to proactively address the situation? (Again, no details are requested, just yes or no). >>

Hi Ziggy,

As you might expect, PCGS is very protective of its brand and products. Right now, there is nothing to proactively address but I can assure you we would have a rapid response if the situation you described every arose.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com