Home Metal Detecting
Options

I did my My first real dig! (What is this relic?)

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I went out last weekend with my older brother, who has a White's MXT detector to do some detecting at the family farm. The farmhouse dates to the late 1840s and has been in our family for over 50 years. This is the first time a decent detector has been played with, so we were eager to try it out.

Overall, it was a good learning experience! Kids didn't slingshot each other with seated half dollars like I thought they might have back then, but that' s ok. image We did come across about a half-dozen common date wheat cents, and, the find of the excursion, this lead toy cannon. My brother found it about six inches down, and the detector was screaming when he hit it. It has no markings on it at all to indicate who made it, but I'm guessing it's 1920s? Has anyone else come across this? The barrel is slightly bent in the picture, but my brother was able to straighten it out well enough.

We also dug at a homesite of a place that burned down in the 1950s. We guessed from the quality of the "silverware" we were bringing out that they were dirt poor, something my mom confirmed. We found a spoon from the Adams Mfg Co that was maybe at one time silver-plated.

In any case, here's the cannon, along with the best wheat cent find of that day.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hm. A toy, certainly. I would guess it at about the same date range as the other stuff... 1940s/50s?

<< <i>Kids didn't slingshot each other with seated half dollars like I thought they might have back then, but that' s ok >>

Well, damn.

If you ever do find that place, let me know. It sounds real dreamy! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Cool first dig!

<< <i>We did come across about a half-dozen common date wheat cents >>

Gotta be some silver around. Keep after it!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Kids didn't slingshot each other with seated half dollars like I thought they might have back then, but that' s ok. >>

Looks like you are "cookin' with gas" now. image

G.
    imageimageimage