Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What will this 1977 Venezuelan Nettles grade?

I picked this up with the intent of submitting it for my player registry set - not sure if I overpaid or not but I hadn't come across one before and figured this may be a now or never so I pulled the trigger

Thanks for offering any opinions or suggestions.

Patrick

Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.

Comments

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    PSA 1 it is miscut and has paper on the back. It presents well and those cards are impossible.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I agree on the PSA 1 Patrick.

A fantastic pickup nevertheless !
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You feel you might have overpaid and I think you got a steal. I guess that's the difference between being the buyer or the seller imageimage

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    By the way, I do have extras of the rest of the Yankees in the set if anyone is interested in any for a team set.

Abe
  • Options
    Abe,

Sorry if I came across wrong but i was saying I wasnt sure of the value of the card and had no idea at all if I over or under paid - I realize how condition sensitive this set is but I dont know how much that impacts the value. I am just happy that I have the chance to add it to my collection as I may or may not see one again.

Thanks for putting it up for auction.

Patrick
    Looking for additions or upgrades to my Graig Nettles master player set on the registry.
  • Options
    Patrick,
    I was hoping that the wink would come through clearly that I was just joking around. I personally think the card is worth right around the high bid (obviously or someone woudl have bid higher). It's an extremely tough set, at the point I think that PSA 6 is the highest grade ever given. The majority of those that are found are going to come back between PSA 1-3 because of back damage. When I got this one I thought it presented very well considering the other problems. I really hope you enjoy it and that it will make a nice addition to your Nettles set.

Abe
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    You might be able to swing a PSA 2, but I'm guessing 1
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    blue227blue227 Posts: 185 ✭✭
    I'd say a 2MC based on the paper residue on the backside from whatever it had been glued into and the fact that you can see the bottom edge of the card above it.

I'd be more inclined to agree with the others who predicted a 1 if the card's back side suffered from paper loss (as opposed to leftover residue) since i've found PSA to be harsher on the former type of back damage.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd say a 2MC based on the paper residue on the backside from whatever it had been glued into and the fact that you can see the bottom edge of the card above it.

I'd be more inclined to agree with the others who predicted a 1 if the card's back side suffered from paper loss (as opposed to leftover residue) since i've found PSA to be harsher on the former type of back damage. >>

Can I (or I guess would it it be best if I ) request no - qualifiers?
  • Options
    I've never made such a request but i've heard that the graders at PSA have been known to ignore such requests.

In terms of the set point impact on your registry set, the following grades all get 1 point: 3Q, 2Q, 1Q, 1. In the cases of cards with a base grade of 2 or lower, the standard 2 point deduction for a qualifier does not kick in. In other words a 2Q does not get 0 points with a 1Q receiving -1 points.

I'd personally prefer to have a tough card in 2Q vs. an unqualified 1 as the mental image i have of a card graded a PSA 1 is something that looks like it got accidentally thrown into a washing machine a few times or had a rat take a bite out of it. Check out this PSA 1 Mantle rookie that Levi @ 707 has for sale.

• Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭

<< <i>In terms of the set point impact on your registry set, the following grades all get 1 point: 3Q, 2Q, 1Q, 1. In the cases of cards with a base grade of 2 or lower, the standard 2 point deduction for a qualifier does not kick in. In other words a 2Q does not get 0 points with a 1Q receiving -1 points.
    >>

A 3Q actually counts as a 2 in the registry.

3Q = -1
    2Q = -1
    1Q = no deduction

DD
  • Options

<< <i>A 3Q actually counts as a 2 in the registry.

3Q = -1
    2Q = -1
    1Q = no deduction

DD >>

I stand corrected. So i guess this is what descending ranking of set points would look like:

10; Highest
    7 = 9Q
    6 = 8Q
    5 = 7Q
    4 = 6Q
    3 = 5Q
    2 = 4Q = 3Q
    1 = 2Q = 1Q = Authentic; Lowest