Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

SSP, Roman books and a GIVEAWAY! (winner)

This is a follow up to my prior post on this. The full story is available there.

A recap: Working at the local Friends of the Library, I come across a lot of great collections of books. Usually we sell them at our store for super-low prices. But then there are collections a bit more special. This is one. A local man recently passed quite unexpectedly. He was researching to write a book on Rome. Unfortunately, I don't know what exactly he was planning to write. His collection is so diverse, spanning the full spectrum of Roman history with books on Roman Britain to the Eastern provinces and everything in between. It could've been anything!

There are so many specialized titles that we want to try to get near fair market value on them. All the proceeds go to local literacy programs and to help maintain our local library. In this case, though, we're thinking of doing something for the widow also.

I know we have a lot of people especially interested in Roman history so I'm advertising here first. I've listed all that I can on Half.com though their system is picky so there are some listed unpriced at a LibraryThing account. If you find anything of interest on either list PM me. You don't have to buy through Half. This way we can haggle over price, especially on bulk, and it saves us fees. Here are the links:

Books with prices at Half.com (prices are negotiable, to an extent)

More books that Half wouldn't list, without prices

(while I'm at it with the SSP, also check my sigline link for coins and eBay junk!)

Now for the giveaway!

I don't have many Roman coins myself, but this is an SSP relating to Roman history so I'll scrounge some up. Up for grabs:

An antoninianus of Probus, circa 280AD, RIC 922, minted in Antioch.

...and... an as yet unidentified bronze with Victory on reverse.

One winner gets both.

Post here to enter. No purchase necessary, but if you do buy something you get 3 entries.

Comments

• Please enter me in the giveaway image
  • 500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the sales! Thanks for the chance in the give away.
    Finem Respice
  • Please accept my entry ~ I'll also take a look at your listings, if there's anything specifically related to Roman Art, I may get them for my Mom (an Artist)!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Chronicle of the Roman Emperors : Christopher Scarre (Hardcover, 1995)

The Oxford Illustrated History of the Roman World (Paperback, 2001) >>

I tried to buy these, but half.com is not accepting my credit card and tells me to try another. Well, guess what- I don't have, or want, another. I didn't realize they were so different from eBay. I thought I could use my eBay account and PayPal and so on. Hm.

If you can think of a way to reserve these for me and accept PayPal or the credit card I have or coins or chickens or seashells for barter, I will take 'em.

Thanks for the giveaway and the book offering, BTW. I only wish I had the moolah to buy everything there, and put it all on my nice mahogany shelves in my paneled study with the leather and green marble furniture.

Alas, that dream study exists only in my imagination, and my "study" is a corner of a cluttered kitchen table in a tiny, overcrowded singlewide mobile home out in the boondocks.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Hmm... I'm still figuring it out myself, LM. So far I'm not terribly impressed. Those two you mentioned show as unavailable in my store, but neither is in my Sales area and I never received an email?! (BTW, you're my first sale with this site)

To you, LM, and all--PM me with any titles you're interested in--DON'T click buy on Half. I'll reserve the titles and we can do payment any way you like.

I'm strongly thinking about switching away from Half to Amazon, even though their fees are higher.
  • aballeinaballein Posts: 388
    please enter me into your giveaway, im just now "finding out" about Roman coins and am SUPER interested in the history that they have.
  • dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Please throw my name in the hat!

Thanks!
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

I was just Roman around this forum until I saw this giveaway

Please add me.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Please enter me in your giveaway, thanks.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • What a great coin. Please enter me in your generous giveaway.
    Molon Labe
    Anyone else for free stuff? image

I'll keep this open a few more days...
  • Count me in!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Enter me in the giveaway.
    Thanks
    mike
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the chance ! image
    I'll draw a name Sunday. Add yours if you want in! image
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    I'll take a shot at the giveaway and push this post back TTT at the same time... Thanks for the chance! Best of luck with your sales and with the local library. My condolences to the widow image
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
    One last TTT, drawing tonight!
    OK, so I'm late on the drawing... image

The winner, decided by Random.org was number 16 --- Rickc300!

If anyone's interested, I'm putting some books up on eBay. A few of the Roman histories and some by Teddy Roosevelt, including a first edition. Check my sigline.
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Very cool, My first win ever here and it is something I am learning and starting to collect to boot! Thanks, and I hope the book sales go well. This sounds like a good cause to me and volunteers such as yourself are rare in this day and age. It seems like everyone is looking for the almighty dollar for any service provided anymore. Thanks again and I hope all is good in your world and with the library. All good deeds go unpunished!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Chronicle of the Roman Emperors : Christopher Scarre (Hardcover, 1995) >>

Though I got my two books from Eric a few days ago, I only sat down and opened this one tonight. It is going to be a terrific resource and I am really glad I bought it.

Kudos to spoon for this offer!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.