Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

When will Pujols Cards Start Going Down

My dad wants to get a few cards of his and was wondering if his slow start would start affecting the prices. It sure doesn't look like they are tapering off. With a player that sold so well for so long like him, what kind of start or season would it take to really affect his cards? He hasn't had an effective month playing in his last 4. I was thinking about how long it took Griffey's cards to come down in price once he was injured multiple times. Mark Texiera anyone?
Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

Comments

• theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    if he ever tests positive they will really hit the skids.
  • jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    If I buy one I'm sure the price will tumble.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    June 17
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing when and if he really sucks? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

<< <i>June 17 >>

That's me and my wife's anniversary. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    as i have been doing for years, you buy on the dips...

whenever pujols goes on the DL, or he is in a mini slump, his cards offer buying opportunities....

hasnt failed in 6 years....

actually, i just scored a PSA 9 2001 Fleer Legacy Auto, rumored to be less then 60 in existence...
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    My anniversary is June 26th. I was just thinking also that this might not be a slow start but a real trend.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    well looks like Albert's 4-4 with a HR tonight marks the end of his first ever slump........

hope everyone used the last month as buying a opportunity...

ps..pujols was hitting in BAD LUCK lately, he was hitting line drives right at defenders....it was just a matter of time before he exploded, and he said it himself in an interview wednesday....

story
  • Pujols is suffering because the team around him is very mediocre this year. St. Louis is destined to miss the playoffs this season.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    "Mediocre" is a pretty generous description of the Redbirds. This is a horrific team that is going nowhere. Thank goodness we won last year because the window of opportunity now appears to be closed.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pujols is suffering because the team around him is very mediocre this year. St. Louis is destined to miss the playoffs this season. >>

Agreed! I cant believe they finally took Eckstein out of the leadoff spot. Not to mention Edmonds and Rolen are not providing any kind of protection for him either.
    He isn't out of the woods yet, he had a few good games earlier this year too. Lets see him string together 2 weeks hitting above 300
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    fandango my friend,
    i don't want to stary a message board jihad with you about your boy, but 4-4 when your team loses by 10 runs is nothing to write home about.

he is currently 0-7 this season in late inning close games with runners on base. admittedly not a lot of chances but he has not come through in the clutch all year.

as far as hitting the balls at fielders he is such an egomaniac he makes tiger woods look humble. you will never hear pujols say a pitcher got him out. it was always bad luck on a ball he hit or the pitcher got away with one.

here is his comments when jason marquis carved him up last month:

"He got in trouble like normally, you know, he always gets in trouble, and finds a lucky pitch to make to get out of trouble, you know," the Cardinals Albert Pujols said of Marquis

even after the stat-padder tonight his batting average is off 65 points from his career, slugging off 150 points and on base off 50 points. He has 13 extra base hits in 39 games or 1 every 3 games. we are a nearly a quarter of the way through the season and he has been ordinary.

that world series can carry a franchise for several year. the stars were aligned for them for a four week period last year and they took full advantage of it. now reality has set in. why drunky the manager left carpenter in on opening night for 101 pitches when the mets were beating him around was beyond belief. obviously there was something wrong him and leaving out there only compounded the problem. they couldn't wait to ditch marquis and suppan and weaver (got one right). duncan the genius was going to revive kip wells who is on pace to lose over 30 games.
    that being said will his cards go down-very very doubtful. he would have to continue at this low output pace for a couple of seasons for that to happen.
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    ......and look at the good ole Tigers. picking up where they left off- #1 with a bullet!!! say, the Cards are in town this weekend, and lost the first one 14-4. The Birds only managed 4 hits off our rookie hurler......tooooooo bad!

<< <i>"Mediocre" is a pretty generous description of the Redbirds. This is a horrific team that is going nowhere. Thank goodness we won last year because the window of opportunity now appears to be closed. >>

I know it's still quite early in the season, but I agree, they are not defending their championship very well at all so far.
    WISHLIST
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>when your team loses by 10 runs is nothing to write home about. >>

I have to disagree there. I told my wife last night - if his performance last night is the springboard to breaking out of his slump, then I would rather the Cardinals lose, than the Cardinals win and him go 0-4. The reason for that is that it is better for the Cardinals in the long run that Pujols breaks out than for the Cardinals to win just that one game.

If last night was his "break out game", everybody had better watch out.

Shane

• yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate your optimism, FH, but Pujols is going to have to sustain some production before I get too excited. But I think you're right in suggesting that Pujols drives the team much more than the team drives Pujols. The starting pitching has been horrible, but if Pujols does indeed get going, the team could at least have a decent chance at a wild card berth.

And I'll grant you, czar, that Pujols' confidence certainly strays into the "arrogance" range but I think that's part of what makes him great. The Marquis comments notwithstanding, he seems to lack that surliness this year. So the clutch hits haven't been coming, but to suggest he's just a stat-padder is insane.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

<< <i>I appreciate your optimism, FH, but Pujols is going to have to sustain some production before I get too excited. But I think you're right in suggesting that Pujols drives the team much more than the team drives Pujols. The starting pitching has been horrible, but if Pujols does indeed get going, the team could at least have a decent chance at a wild card berth.

And I'll grant you, czar, that Pujols' confidence certainly strays into the "arrogance" range but I think that's part of what makes him great. The Marquis comments notwithstanding, he seems to lack that surliness this year. So the clutch hits haven't been coming, but to suggest he's just a stat-padder is insane. >>

I agree that it is going to take more than one game. What I was saying was "if" last night gets him going....

Shane

<< <i>

<< <i>Pujols is suffering because the team around him is very mediocre this year. St. Louis is destined to miss the playoffs this season. >>

Agreed! I cant believe they finally took Eckstein out of the leadoff spot. Not to mention Edmonds and Rolen are not providing any kind of protection for him either. >>

Hmm just like last year...pujols had no protection and nobody getting on base in front of him, yet he managed to put together a monster season even with a DL stint....there is nothing different now(with the offense) then there was last year, same players, all a year older....Rolen is looking like he is past his prime already, and Edmunds is done....

that underlines what a joke the MVP voting was last year...Howard had the best supporting offensive cast in all of baseball (yet he hit only .250 with RISP and his team missed the playoffs by 1 game) ..Pujols had nobody around him, he batted .400 with RISP, hit 49 Dingers and he single handedly carried Cards to the playoffs with a walk off HR in final week to barely get the CARDS in --that is the definition of MOST VALUABLE...

FHardy made a great point, 1 game does not matter, the Cards need pujols hot to win 85 games....

The "pujols is an egomaniac " was created by the NY media during the mets series...before that Pujols was thought of as being a near saint...(he is very religious and donates his time and money to help people)--he sets an example for all athletes....

Pujols said it best last week...."when i get going, look out!"--he knew he was gonna bust out...
  • Pujols is a hard working, generous guy who donates a lot of time and money to sick kids, charities etc. It's all well and good, but it won't keep the cards from sucking ass this year. Post world series let down. just like the white sox. and they are without their best pitcher. Detroit is playing very well, too bad! It would be nice to see the Cards beat on them so my Indians can get some breathing room!
    1 hr and 5 RBI in last 10 games. OPS is down 300 points off last years pace. This is starting to be a really long mini slump. He is on my PSA league fantasy team so I am rooting him on but man is it getting old. I gotta quit drafting 1b in the 1st round (last year I took Teixera)
  • I think Pujols will put it together eventually this season. I predict he'll finish in the 0.300 neighborhood with 30 HRs and 110 RBIs.
    WOW..pujols should have had 4 HR'S today..the 2 outs he made were to hunter Pence, 420 feet away!
    He is definitely heating up. The last HR he hit was a monster.

Shane

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is starting to look like his normal self isnt he!
    He had a little blip of power in May also. I think he might be on the way back to normalcy but he is out of the MVP race at this point and will probably have the worst season of his career.