Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

What is the greatest Registry Set?

So...what do you think? For current sets I'd have to vote for TDN's seated dollar set or the California 1 Morgan set (which can't be viewed, grrr). For all-time sets, TDN's Seated and Trade dollars come to mind but i don't know much about the older sets. Let me know your thought.
Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

Comments

• CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For an all time list, The Cardinal Early Dollars were fantastic set. I have the ANR auction catalog. The entire set sold at auction in 2005 for over 5.2 million. Amazingly, there were only 61 lots.. Ronnie
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Legend trade dollar set is great.
    And my personal favorite is the group of Half Dollar Proof sets that Parke Kellenberg has Kennedys going all the way back to the Liberty Seated proofs his sets are top of line.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite set isn't even on the Registry. It's the only set I'd pay money to see ... the Pogue Collection of early american coinage.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    TDN i had a feeling you'd say that. They have the Childs 1804 dollar and the J-1776 right?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Childs and Dexter 1804's, but not J-1776. That is in a St Gaudens gold collection in New England.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry TDN and others. This is it for me.

Joshua Merc Set All but 6 coins are Pop Top at PCGS.

Ken
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of great sets in both the PCGS and NGC registries. The locked sets and those without pictures are worthless to the viewing public, unless you like looking at numbers.

This set is incredible Hesselgesser Early Dollars by die variety An early US die variety set takes years to build, this is one of the great ones.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • I know it's "locked" but the High Desert Complete Type Set is by far my favorite. On average it contains approximately the 12th highest ranked coin of each of the 139 types that are registered with PCGS. That includes the 1792 Half Disme, 1793 Chain Cent, 1796 quarter, 1796-1797 half dollar, 1796 $2.5, 1808 $2.5, both types of Stella, 1795 $5 and $10.

Who is John Galt?
  • Linedad, that is very kind of you. There are so many great sets out there. Good news is that I finally finished with a photographer shooting my entire half dollar collection so I hope to post all of the pictures before July. Right now the set runs from 1856 through today with over 100 top pop coins.
  • keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    In my mind, the best set is TDN's Trade Dollar Set. Just take a look at the number of single top pops in this set (all but one date fall into this category). Duckor's Half Dollar set is right up there as well (TDN's Seated Dollar set is awesome as well).

keoj
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for TDN's seated dollar set. I have seen it, and it is wonderful.

• garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I like all the Alergar registry sets, but I have to admit bias because they are mine image
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Yes, Yes, TDN has some super Seated and Trade Dollars, there's no debate about that. But, I have a different set that I believe is better.

This set is better in a number of ways: number of coins needed, age of the coins, condition of all coins, and amount completed to name a few. The set I'm talking about is the ESM collection of "U.S. Cents Complete Set (1793-Present)". I mean, with 745 coins needed for completion, coins dating back to 1793, the lowest grade being an F-12 (with most being MS+++ or sliders), and the fact that he's more than 90% complete is just astronomical.

ESM has my vote.
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    OK..TDN's

Duckor Barber Half and Saints
    Jack Lee I Morgans
    The Cardinal Collection
    JHF SLQ's

just to name a few of my favorites.

One significant observationI have made regarding Stewart's, which puts them beyond most ppeople's imagination. I think that if you looked for someone who has to have the absolutley BEST coin for the grade in every date, it's him. Stewart doesn't just get the top pop and stop there. He'll scour every one he can find and keep the best (sometimes more than one of the best).

His sets are like his sculptures. He's continually working on making it as perfect as humanly possible, not settling for the numbers and insert game. I have said that he's possibly the greatest collector of our time. I still believe that to be true.
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Going in a different direction.
    Maybe not the greatest Registry Set ever, but one that impresses me is High Desert's Complete U.S. Type Set (1792-1964)
    The ONLY set to be 100% complete, and a set rating of 63.96, it must be an incredable set.
    Too bad we can't see it. image
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    The greatest Registry set is the one any collector has poured him or herself into, settling for nothing less than PQ coins for whatever grade obtainable within their comfort range and OWN lock, stock and barrel!(Zero Debt)
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TDN and company are certainly the best of the best.

I'd also like to see what "IBM" Gene has put together so far on his seated rarities collection.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414

Jim McGuigans Half Cents.

I'm not familiar with most of the greatest Registry Sets but I doubt that many of them have taken as long to complete as Jims set.

Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins