Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Impossible Happened, I Finished My 1971 Topps Set!

Finally! I just finished my 1971 Topps set in PSA 7 or better (well, I did kind of cheat I have a couple of 8ocs and a Raymond in a 7oc, but I am at almost a 7.5 GPA so I will count it!). I finally picked up the elusive for me Dick Green. I think I paid more for that common than any other common in the set, but it was worth it! Thanks go out to Frazier and dgofwinter@aol.com for getting me the Dick Green after my frustration post initially on this thread (original kept below). Now what do I do now that it is complete? I will probably slowly upgrade with emphasis on getting star cards in 8. I already have a number of the big ones in 8 but will look slowly over time to add a few more to the set.

Wow, six years it took to build this and I still cannot believe it. What a challenge!

[Original Post]:

Man, I need one card for this set, 258 Dick Green, and I can't seem to get it. I bid "big" on the latest 8 on eBay and got outbid:

1971 Topps PSA Dick Green

In a way, I am glad I got outbid since I never thought I would pay so much for a common. On the other hand, it would have been nice to finally finish this set off. I think I may just try to find a raw one and have it graded. If it comes back a 6, so be it!

Arrgghhh, I don't think I will ever finish this set.....

Comments

• Options
    FrazierFrazier Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Mefer:

Try brian simon at dgofwinter@aol.com, I think has has one in an 8 holder for $50.00

Good luck,

Bill
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up Bill. I sent an e-mail.
  • Options
    Dont forget the hunt is 1/2 the fun!! Be patient it will happen
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • Options
    Thanks again all for the help and encouragement. I still cannot believe it is done!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats image
  • Options
    bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow, six years it took to build this and I still cannot believe it. What a challenge! >>

Great job, you obviously have been working very hard on this tough set & completed it with a very impressive 7.5 gpa. image

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Wow, congratulations on completing that beautiful set! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Awesome accomplishment!
    Congratluations!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I'm so Jealous!! What a fabulous and beautiful set the '71 is!!
    Paul
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Way to go!

Mark
    1981-82 Topps Basketball PSA 9 or 10
    1992-93 Topps Basketball PSA 9 or 10
    1976 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or 10
    1981 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1982 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1986 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1975 Topps Wacky Packages Series 15 PSA 9 or 10
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I applaud you (see graphic) image Congratulations!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Great job! The 71 set is a real booger to build! Super accomplishment!!!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great job!!!

nice find.
    what's next???
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    marzmarz Posts: 1,601
    Great set and congrads! Always loved that set as a kid!
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Very nice.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Congrats Mefer, and welcome to the 100% club
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

To complete such a condition sensitive set, wow! CONGRATS!

rd

edit: This set has so many "tough to find" cards in those high grade PSA holders!!! Here is a typical example of what I mean: The #93 Senators Rookies card, has 72 graded PSA 8's, with only one higher. That's what I call, "condition sensitive"! What makes these cards even more difficult to locate, in addition to being so "condition sensitive", these cards are just popular with collectors and set-builders alike. An example of this is your #351 Jim Shellebback in PSA 8 O/C, one would think it would be easy to locate a better grade after years of you trying (with 48 examples graded higher by PSA), but u couldn't!

My "hat's off to you", for taking-on this project, and completing it! image
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    That's a big achievement - congrats.
    Of all the sets in the last 40 years, I think the '71s look best in top condition.
    The beauty of these cards startle me!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! I still haven't been able to finish a set yet image and NONE are that large!
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for your kind words. Call me crazy, but I am in the midst of another huge set, 1978 Topps, in PSA 9 condition. It should not, however, be as difficult as the 71s. On the very tough 9s, I am just going to punt and take 8s. I will scatter in some 10s from the 78 A's Team set I am trying to build in 9 or better. If you have some 78 A's that fit my needs, holler!
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    way to go, congrats
  • Options
    Congrats on a tremendous accomplishment! PSA is soooo tough on those colored border cards.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings