Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

US Mint Official First Day Coin Covers

Are these US Mint Official First Day Coin Covers actually First Strikes? Do they generally contain Registry quality business strike gems? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    The Mint claims that they are struck on the first day of mintage...and to my knowledge...most people around here feel that the quality of the coins in the FDC's usually matches the quality of the coins coming out of mint bags and rolls.

• Thanks again ellewood for your response. I've never seen an FDC, so I never quite understood the appeal. image

I'm glad I saved my money.
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    It ends up being just another insert in the plastic; if you want the insert buy it, if you want the coin save yourself some money and buy a regular business strike!
  • "Each American Presidency $1 Coin Cover includes first day of production Presidential $1 Coins from both the United States Mint at Philadelphia and Denver on a handsome display card with a current postage stamp. Each cover is postmarked with the date that the Presidential $1 Coins are first released to the Federal Reserve Bank and the public."

That is from the US Mint.

Nothing comes close in an official certification than this.. NOTHING ..

PCGS is missing a huge market and it will show up soon in the Quarterly.