Home Q & A Forum
Options

Question about grading bent coins

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi all, I have a very slightly bent 1828 Bust Quarter. There is no evidence on either side of dents or re engravings or anything that would indicate a reason for this coin being slightly bent. The surfaces on both sides are really nice, it is about VF in grade.

So was it struck that way? and if so would PCGS grade such a coin if there was nothing else wrong with it?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Hi all, I have a very slightly bent 1828 Bust Quarter. There is no evidence on either side of dents or re engravings or anything that would indicate a reason for this coin being slightly bent. The surfaces on both sides are really nice, it is about VF in grade.

So was it struck that way? and if so would PCGS grade such a coin if there was nothing else wrong with it? >>

PCGS will not grade bent coins.

Normally-made US coins should be flat. There are exceptions, such as coins struck from bulged and broken dies, coins struck from roller dies (i.e. some of the 1652 Massachusetts silver coinage), and others. However, I'm not aware of any such issues with an 1828 Quarter Dollar.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com
  • Options

Now they do

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for them! Lots of the thinner coins we see are bent. There must be a video on the Internet dealing with this problem.

OP take your coin to a coin dealer and leave it with him for an hour. >:)

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was 12 years ago. I bent it back and sold it raw as a damaged coin..

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dug deep for this thread @scvusa.

Thanks for the 12 year update @thebigeng.