Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Raw sets vs. partially graded: Memory Lane

SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
Why did Lot #788 from the Memory lane April auction sell for almost double the price of Lot 789?

Both are complete 1964 sets. Lot 788 was 100% raw, in EX-MT to NM-MINT condidtion. Lot 789 also contained raw cards in the exact same condition spread, but had eleven PSA 7's (including Rose and AL Bombers) and seven PSA 8's (including Clemente). There were also three PSA 8OC's, including Mantle.

I am confused by this. Lot 789 sold for $3,123, yet Lot 788 went for $5,937!

Is it because buyers like the thrill of the possibility of a PSA 8 Mantle, Rose or Clemente, and are willing to gamble thousands of dollars on it? That's the only thing I can figure.

Help!

Nick

Comments

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Nick,
    The answer is simple, there's a lot of dumb people in the hobby.
    Or there's many who still don't believe in the concept of grading after over 13 years of it.

Rich
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Speculation baby, who wants a sure thing when you can have a lottery ticket. I guess most people haven't caught on to the overgrading of raw phenomenon.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Do people actually think they will find a PSA 8-ready Pete Rose in a 1964 raw set from a major auction house? If that's the kind of morons who bid in these auctions, I am ready to put my entire collection up for sale!
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Not to mention the fact that the scans were too small to get any real feel for the condition of the cards. If memory serves, they didn't even give a percentage breakdown for the condition of the set. For all we know, it could be 75% EX-MT, 20% NM, and 5% NM-MT.