Home U.S. Coin Forum

What benefits did the ANA provide to collectors in its Golden Age?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 14, 2017 4:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum
I remain unconvinced that the ANA is an important organization for collectors in mainstream numismatics today, however I'd like to believe that they used to be an important and mainstream player. In the days gone by, did the ANA have a different relationship with collectors? Was there a time when the ANA really mattered to collectors and, if so, what services did the ANA provide?

Or is it that the services haven't changed but their importance has?
Tagged:

Comments

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I can give you a clear example, and there are others.

In 1910, William Woodin wanted the mint to revert to sandblasted proof gold coins instead of the satin finish used in 1909-1910. After some correspondence with former director Andrew (who was now Asst Sec of the Treasury), Andrew agreed to make the change if the ANA members would pass a resolution making the request. No other collectors or numismatic organizations were consulted, including the ANS. The resolution passed and the mint changed back to sandblast gold proofs through 1915.

Initiation of the Peace dollar in 1920 is another (although the ANA later dropped the ball).
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great info RWB, in this thread and the other one. The 1910 event was a way for ANA members to help the Mint and really feel like they are part of numismatic history in the making. An ANA that is working with the Mint and Congress on coinage and production issues of the day is one that I would be more interested in.

Has the ANA worked with Congress, the Treasury or Mint on any recent projects? Do people feel the ANA should get back involved with items like this?
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    It requires a knowledgeable person(s) working Washington with members of congress and the Mint on a daily basis. Helping to write legislation (Remember the dead legislation from last year that attempted to clarify the legal status of some coins?) so that it makes sense and has a chance of passage. Negotiating compromises with the Mint/Treasury on legislation and policies. Working with the mint to develop educational materials. Mint, Treasury, Smithsonian and Commission of Fine Arts are the key organizations. Building a relationship of trust, rather than suspicion..... For the present executive director's salary, you might get a fairly good person and maybe some donated office space. But, it is a long-term deal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file