Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

I had a great time at Central States.......

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a show!

I filled about eight holes in my dime set and upgraded two others.

On the last day I figured I would go over to the side of the floor that I had not been to because most of "my" dealers were elsewhere and low and behold I stopped at a table where a seated dime caught my eye. Well it was an 1860-S in XF40 AND the most beautiful and ORIGINAL surfaceses(sp) I have seen on a seated dime. Needless to say I snapped that up!

I will be adding these to my set probably tomorrow.

I also sent off 8 crossovers and 5 coins to grade and my 1833 to get the "Last 3 High" designation.

Can't wait to see how my crossover "eye" was or is.

Later, Jon

Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to say Jon, That is quite a set you are building. I'm Envious.

Nick
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Buy any Capped Bust????
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Fred, I bought an 1821 small date in AU53.

Most were seated. A few Mercs.

Jon
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to you on your findings. For myself, the show was disappointing as there were very few raw or certified material that I wanted to hunt through. One dealer had several slabbed war nickels, perhaps some 200 coins in one of his showcases but I couldn't work up the nerve to ask him to bring them all out so I could cherrypick the best ones. The other factor, I already had all those dates in high grade anyways. I actually started to believe PNG day had something to do with the lack of material at the show. PNG day is basically dealer on dealer day so they must be getting first picks. And I imagine whatever might be slabbable and marketable they grab it to get it certified. Several dealers had this sales pitch about coins they had certified that were undergraded, saying this is a MS66 and they graded it a MS64, trying to have you believe you're in for a great steal if you buy that coin. And it was very easy to see the coin was missing a very basic quality...... like "luster", if it were ever to grade that high! Other than that, I could not believe there wasn't a closeby place to get some chow. Even the old St Louis Centre mall was closed. Tried a lower Bistro some 3 blocks away and was welcomed with $16 entre's menu. We were told they were closing but the bar was open and we could order from there. I said OK thanks......and left..........back to the show to eat that famous St Louis stylish hotdog that was nothing more than a large dog in a bun. But it did taste alright.......no sense eating too much and trigger a b---- movement. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Jon, sounds like you had a great time at Central States and had much success with your seated dimes.

Congrats with the later pickup of the 60-S. I can't wait to see the additions.