Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How to decide?

When a number of clients want the same registry type coin in the same grade how does the dealer decide who gets the coin or coins. Does it go to the biggest dollar client, oldest client,client with the earliest dated want list or is it rotated among all the clients over time.Probably more important how should it be handled by the dealer. I look foward to this boards comments. Regards Bear.
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Boy I'm dieing to see any dealer responses to this thread.

Inside the mind of the dealer. C'mon tell us everything.

-Keith H
  • Eenie, meenie, miney, moe...

I probably just misspelled every one of those words!

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Dear solid, I dont know about the other guys but Moe looks about right as to the spelling. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • It goes to the client that pays the most. I can imagine scenarios where one might sacrifice a few bucks today if there were prospects of making more tomorrow. But eventually that "good" customer will pay for it.

I think it is easy if several people are asking for the same coin at the same time. The hard part would be if you get an offer but think you might get more later from a "better" customer. After all time is money and all that so the bird in the hand might be better than the two in the bush -- or it might not.

If I were on a want list I'd want a call, but if there were several folks on the want list for that coin I am sure I would only get the coin if I paid the most. I guess if the dealer calls the best customer with a strong price and the customer takes it the others on the list might not get a chance to pay more. However wouldn't the first call go to the customer likely to pay the most?

OK dealers, if any of you can explain why I'm wrong you might get some new business image
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Carl,

I've seen both methods.

I've seen the FIFO (first in, first out) method where a dealer
    will go to the person who has been on the waitlist the longest
    and give them the opportunity to buy first at a predetermined
    price. (I assume part of the way the dealer comes up with the
    price is how long the waitlist is).

I've also seen the auction method where the dealer says they
    have a new coin in and everyone send me their highest offer.

I slightly prefer FIFO, but that's probably just because our
    society instills the idea that that is "fair". If you wait
    your turn then you will be rewarded.

-Keith H