Home Metal Detecting
Options

Any thoughts?

OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
The County is finally paving a mile long section of road near my house. They just scrapped off the first 1-2' of gravel. It has been a county road since the 1860's. Do you think I'll have any luck hunting around out there tomorrow? (assuming my wife doesn't go into labor before then). Anyone have experience with this? (hunting these type of areas not wives in labor image)

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully it won't be too hardpan or have packed gravel left over or a layer of trash.

It could have some potential. I have hunted some colonial-era roadbeds with success, though they were plagued with modern aluminum trash and shotgun/rifle shells.

If the stars are aligned in your favor, you could have yourself a little time capsule there. It's hard to say, though, until you give it a whirl.

They are cutting a brand new road through the woods, directly into one of my old hotspots at an old plantation site. The trees just came down this morning. By Thursday, when I am off, I hope to see some nice, juicy, nekkid dirt.

That, and some other recent earthmoving in two other very promising spots, is making me rethink my current hiatus, and come to the opinion that it is time to rescue ol' Charlie Garrett from my disabled van, which has been sitting forlorn in the backyard since February.

Time to dust off the cobwebs and put the coil to the soil... soon! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.