Home Sports Talk
Options

Big changes planned in TV coverage of the world series this year

The first two games will be on a Wednesday and Thursday this year instead of Sat-Sun so it will not compete with football, NASCAR and golf
and of course hopefully get higher TV ratings. The series will also skip Fridays entirely - the least watched night for TV next to Saturday.
MLB will also go up against Monday night football.

The series will start Oct. 24 - four days later than it would be if starting on its usual Saturday schedule.

A late Sat. afternoon game is a possibility but Saturday night is a no no.

A pivotal fourth game will be played on a Sunday night.

Game 7 is scheduled for Nov. 1.

Playing games late in Oct. in northern climates (a possibility) could be dicey because of the weather but the need for higher TV ratings is pushing this.

Thanks to USA Today for the above information and a few comments from me.

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    The only change they need to make is to stop showing the fans between every f-ing pitch. I tune in to watch a ball game, not some stranger clapping.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    ...and I thought it was going to pay per view
  • Options
    They should have never stopped using Vin Scully as the announcer...that was a big mistake.

Another huge mistake is starting the games so late at night. There is absolutely no good reason why the first pitch can't be thrown at 7PM central time...heck even 6:30 central time would be better. OK, so maybe some west coasters miss the first inning or two...but that is better than the rest of the country missing the last couple of innings because of sleep...especially the young fans!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Oct 24th? Wow - it gets cold up in Boston that time of year...image
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>They should have never stopped using Vin Scully as the announcer...that was a big mistake.

Another huge mistake is starting the games so late at night. There is absolutely no good reason why the first pitch can't be thrown at 7PM central time...heck even 6:30 central time would be better. OK, so maybe some west coasters miss the first inning or two...but that is better than the rest of the country missing the last couple of innings because of sleep...especially the young fans! >>

After all of the pre game hoopla the first pitch doesn't get thrown until around 8:20 to 8:30 EST. and with the game often going until
    midnight or later before it is over.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They should have never stopped using Vin Scully as the announcer...that was a big mistake. >>

Even relegating Vin to color-commentator status would be better than that non-stop gum flapper Tim McCarver.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    The best thing they could do is return the weekend games to the daytime. Not playing weekend games -- often in colder climates in late October, no less -- is the worst scheduling mistake MLB has ever made.
  • Options
    When they went to Buck, they lost something big time.

When I listen to Scully's call on Gibson's Home Run, it gives me chills. When I listen to Buck's...I wish I were listening to Scully's.

Tim McCarver, yuck.
  • Options

<< <i>Tim McCarver, yuck. >>

Indeed. I can only handle so much Jeter-worship.
  • Options
    Tim McCarver is awful. He should be drowned like a bag of retarded kittens. meow.

The new schedule stinks. They are going to go head to heat with MNF.
  • Options
    Vin Scully is a walking legend.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Tim McCarver, yuck. >>

Indeed. I can only handle so much Jeter-worship. >>

How much Jeter worshipping have we really had to deal with during the World Series? Not much lately nor in the immediate future as far as I can tell. image
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Great, drag the yawn-fest of a sport and its season even further... Maybe they could improve their ratings by speeding up the game or at least making wake-up calls by the seventh inning stretch. Less controversy surrounding its star players could help too.

Baseball is fun to listen to on the radio... while I've got something else to do like fishing or working on the car. The only way I could sit through an entire game without getting up is if MTV comes in and pimps my casket and puts "hater vision" monitors inside it.
  • Options
    dirtmonkey are you sure your not talking about Golf and/or Soccer? image

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Vin Scully is a walking legend. >>

I lived in SoCal in the late 70s when I was a teenager. Some of my best baseball memories are listening to Scully's radio broadcasts of the Dodgers during the Garvey-Yeager-Cey-Smith era.

Chick Hearn's Laker broadcasts were a treat as well. Pat Riley was his color man then!!
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>dirtmonkey are you sure your not talking about Golf and/or Soccer? image >>

I don't understand much of soccer, so can't comment there. Golf is horrible to watch on TV unless you're a Woods fan, because he's the only one I ever see on the screen whether it be a tournament or on ESPN highlights. Honestly, does ESPN give a chit about anybody but Woods?
    They show 20 clips of Woods, then say he came in seventh... They then show one clip of the winner holding up whatever trophy he won.

Oh, and to answer you're question. No image Baseball should only be viewed on television by the deaf or those who like white noise to help them sleep.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let's hope Milwaukee doesn't host any games!
  • Options

<< <i>let's hope Milwaukee doesn't host any games! >>

Milwaukee has a retractable roof, so it could be much worse. Cleveland, anyone?
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>

Milwaukee has a retractable roof, so it could be much worse. Cleveland, anyone? >>

They tried to start the season in the snow, I guess if they ended it that way it would make sense. image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Milwaukee has a retractable roof, so it could be much worse. Cleveland, anyone? >>

They tried to start the season in the snow, I guess if they ended it that way it would make sense. image >>