Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What if all PCGS coins had provenance?

OK, stick with me here, cause I don't exactly know how a program like this would work but I'm just tossing it out here.

For those of you who don't know, provenance comes from the Latin provenire which basicly means "to come forth". Merriam-Webster defines provenance as "the history of ownership of a valued object or work of art or literature".

It could be possible for PCGS, through the bar-coding on the slab to store a record of ownership for it's graded coins.

Advantages:
- Positive proof of ownership of all coins.

Problems:
- Trying to keep the database up to date.
- Would require contact with PCGS every time any coin changes hands (that's a big one).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Would this help solve any of the problems we've been mulling as of late?

madmike

Comments

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Like I said in another thread: If anybody wants to verify mine just come on over and we'll look at coins all day, eat a nice lunch, and maybe go out in the back yard and shoot some AKs and handcannons. I have nothing to hide in my puny little set! Which includes 13 highest graded by the way. image

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Hey Dog,

That sounds like great fun! I'll bring my coins, and a sweet AR15 that will let
    you put little holes in cull Morgans from 100 yards all day long!

Ken
  • Options

Dog,

That does sound fun! Unfortunately, I live in the other L.A.! Los Angeles, and I don't think I'll get out your way anytime soon!

Seriously, there would be no way to enforce requiring people to register their purchases with PCGS. Even then, someone could lease, and claim it was theirs if the other person didn't care.

The next step would be to get the goverment involved! Oh my god, can you imagine! A steep fine and serve some time if you are found with a certified coin that you didn't properly register! Please, let's not even go this way!

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    Dog,

Sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon!

I'm still trying to get the fragrance of Hoppe's Old #9 out of the house after a marathon day of gun cleaning.

Happy collecting!

madmike
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Some of you Registry guys actually sound pretty cool. image
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.