Home Sports Talk
Options

RICKY WILLIAMS POSITIVE FOR POT.....AGAIN....

Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
doh!!!

Comments

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Dolphins running back Ricky Williams tested positive for marijuana in April, according to a source.

Williams was suspended last year for violating of the substance abuse policy and was eligible to be reinstated this month. The league's medical advisors who oversee Williams' rehabilitation program recently notified Commissioner Roger Goodell of the positive test, ESPN.com reported Friday.

This is Williams' fifth failed drug test.

The doctors also recommended that Williams not be allowed to apply for reinstatement until September, according to the Web site.

Neither the league nor the Dolphins would comment.

Williams was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder in 2001, and he has said that he tried to use marijuana to help overcome the disorder.

According to another source, the league's treatment plan for Williams does not address the disorder.

David Cornwell, Williams' attorney during his substance-abuse hearings with the league, blamed the league and its clinicians for not effectively treating players on an individual basis.

gRicky's history with Dr. Jethro Toomer, his treating clinician under the NFL drug program, demonstrates that Commissioner Goodell must address the league's inability to treat effectively players who are subject to the NFL drug program.''

It is believed that since Williams is not in the NFL, the substance-abuse policy punishments do not apply, so Williams is not automatically suspended for another year.

Williams retired from football in 2004 but made a comeback in 2005, rushing for 743 yards and six touchdowns after missing the first four games because of a drug suspension. Williams was later suspended for the entire 2006 season after failing his fourth test under the league's substance-abuse policy. Williams played in the Canadian Football League during his yearlong drug suspension.

During Williams' first time out of football, the Dolphins were awarded an $8.6 million judgment against Williams for breach of contract. Williams still owes the Dolphins the money, but the franchise has not moved to collect it. Williams is slated to earn the minimum $710,000 for seventh-year players this season.

On April 18, Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg said the running back had "been passing the tests steadily, and I don't expect any problem." Steinberg has yet to return phone calls.

The Dolphins drafted Florida State running back Lorenzo Booker in the third round, and have expressed confidence in his ability to back up starting running back Ronnie Brown. The Dolphins also assigned Booker to Williams' old locker.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    How can a person really be that stupid?

I didn't think this stuff was physically addicting, but given Williams' apparent inability to stay away from the stuff despite the problems it's causing his football career, I have to wonder...
  • Options

<< <i>How can a person really be that stupid?

I didn't think this stuff was physically addicting, but given Williams' apparent inability to stay away from the stuff despite the problems it's causing his football career, I have to wonder... >>

Maybe its glaucoma? (sp?) When ricky starts wearing Chuck Muncie style glasses after being off the chronic for awhile, the truth shall be known.

joe
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Williams has a social anxiety disorder, and apparently marijuana helps him cope with it. I don't see the harm in him smoking the stuff, because it's not a performance enhancing substance. If pot is so bad for you, then why is it administered to cancer patients?
  • Options
    really, this guy has wasted his talent and his opportunities. who cares.

That being said. pot smoking. who cares. big deal. geez. as long as he doesnt do it, drink, drive, get high and kill someone. its no ones business.
  • Options
    What a waste he is
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Williams has a social anxiety disorder, and apparently marijuana helps him cope with it. I don't see the harm in him smoking the stuff, because it's not a performance enhancing substance. If pot is so bad for you, then why is it administered to cancer patients? >>

Personally, if he does it on his own time and doesn't endanger others while high, I don't care; I think MJ should be decriminalized and basically treated just like alcohol in most respects (taxed and regulated). But if you value your NFL career it's still a stupid thing to do as long as there are serious repercussions for doing it.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Williams has a social anxiety disorder, and apparently marijuana helps him cope with it. I don't see the harm in him smoking the stuff, because it's not a performance enhancing substance. If pot is so bad for you, then why is it administered to cancer patients? >>

I was under the impretion that weed can enhance anxiety ect.. also can enhance paranoid disorders as well. On one hand I feel bad but really if anyone has the opurtunity to be a proffesional ballplayer or enjoy weed? Its a stupid choice if you ask me but it his bussiness and its his choice.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is officially voted onto the Board of Directors of the Roy Tarpley/Doc Gooden Foundation.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Let the man puff already. Geez.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Let the man puff already. Geez. >>

imageimageimage