Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Wondercoin: How many Registry Sets do you own?

It sure would appear Mitch would have the integrity of the PCGS SetRegistry as a top priority, but why?*
Mitch, do you own any Registry sets? Other than selling the coins Collectors need for their sets, what is your involvement?

What are you protecting?

Are you truly trying to help build a better Registry for me? Do you have my best interests at heart? Why?

*I buy my BigMacs at McDonalds but I don't expect McDonald's management to care about my personal health.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Mitch, do you own any Registry sets?"

Modman: Next time, just PM me with any reasonable question you might have.

I registered one set ever-the 1999 #1 PCGS Mint State Roosevelt Dime Set, a collection I worked on for many, many years. I no longer own that set.

Of course, I have purchased/sold many registry sets since then from collectors/dealers. I am considering purchasing several more sets this week alone. Anyone who is considering selling a modern set (1932-date), I am always interested in being offered the coins. I have no intention, however, of registering any particular set at either PCGS or NGC now or anytime in the immediate future.

As far as "protecting" anything. I do think the concept of a Registry is a great idea. If small "tweeks" are needed in the system, better to be proactive than reactive I believe. Some people like yourself spend a large part of the day on these boards and don't even own registry coins. What are you "protecting"? Well, don't answer that, because, I will not be able to spend a great deal of time today going "back and forth" with you. If you have any other questions, just PM me. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since when is ownership a criteria on this Forum for personal involvement?
    If it wasn't for Mitch (and many others) the Registry wouldn't be what it is today and there would be little hope of inprovement in the year ahead.

peacockcoins

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modman, just when your about to be allowed in the Registry clique, you go and make a post like this. Now all of the clique members are slamming you again. Everytime a major dealer comes to these boards, they are usually attacked by the local clique and leave. The only dealers that seem to stay are the ones who seem to do so much business here. Not sure the Registry sets would be any different without the assistance of Mitch, perhaps fewer optional coins would be made required.

About the big thread yesterday, it was presented poorly instead of as an outright question. Ironically the same points were discussed last week on the US Forum, so it was not like these thoughts were anything new. As a result, PCGS did add to the rules, which makes the idea of "leasing" within the rules.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braddick

You've asked some reasonable questions. My answer would be some other questions? What's his motivation? Has the board become just another sales outlet for him? Does he put up with the grief he sometimes recieves on the board in the same way other dealers put up with grief from their customers as the necessary price of doing business? How many times was he chastised on the other forum for hyping coins he was selling (one of the reasons the registry set forum was started)?

Now I don't know WC personally and I'm not interested in the types of coins he sells. I don't know what's in his heart and mind or what his true motivation was when he started the latest firestorm. But there are some long time members on the PCGS forum that are also dealers that have somehow managed not to stir up the type of controversy WC has during his time as a contributor to the board. Most of the collectors on this forum have a very low tolerance for the type of hype and marketing gimmicks that have come to be commonplace on Ebay, the HSN and elsewhere. If someones got information they feeling might be interesting to other members of the forum let them post it but do it in a straight forward fashion without the deception and gimmicks used in the thread that has caused a lot of ill will, disappointment and hard feelings.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Think of the U.S. Mint as Chevrolet (or Ford or Dodge, if you'd rather). Think of the PCGS Registry as the Daytona 500. Think of our collections as high-performance race cars. Think of Wondercoin as Goodyear. Sure, he sells expensive tires, but he helps many of us drive faster and safer.

Varoooommmm.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Solid

Your punishment for that analogy is to reread the entire thread that started this and all the post in TomB's response thread image.

What WC has once again succeeded in doing is foster ill will among members of the board (not the first time) and divert attention from what's important with respect to the board, the opportunity for collectors to share their collective knowledge and love for the hobby.

Fast...what we need to do is slow down, maybe pick up a numismatic book and read it, grab you loupe and study the intricate details of the design of that Silver Eagle or Washington Quarter or Morgan Dollar. Slow down young man!

Yes, leasing registry numbers is the quick way of "building" a set but you miss out on most of the real fun.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pmh1nic: It is not simply noticeable to only me that your only "cameo" appearances on the Set Registry board are the one or two times a YEAR you smell a good "debate" going on a thread I posted where you think you can come in a cause some "damage". I have received many PM's today concerning my positions and posts and they have virtually all said the same thing-keep plugging away and keep up the good work. So, you can crawl back to the "big board" where I am sure you are missed. Your cameo appearances are far from needed here, unless you can add something to this thread about my Registry set collection(s) in my life? Or, try talking about your Registry set experiences one day-come to think of it, you've had 6 months to do that here and never took the time. image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a couple more showings and he'll reach "DeepCameo" appearance.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Mr. Wondercoin Sir,

I was invited over via a post regarding this issue on the U.S. Coin Forum board.

Don't pass the buck...it's your original post that has caused the damage.

Of course you've received the PM's from those that favor your position but based on what I've read in this and other threads that position is by no means the position of a large number of members of the forum.

"Crawl back to the big board"??? I won't dignify that with a response.

"Your cameo appearances are far from needed here"
    Are YOU the one that decides what's needed here?

"my Registry set collection(s) in my life?"
    Is this forum all about YOU and what YOU want and what's favorable to YOUR position and what's beneficial to YOU and selling the coins YOU happen to have for sale? I don't think so.

I don't have a registry set although I've enjoyed viewing the photographs of the coins of some of the members that do. You see Wondercoin it's not all about me and my coins or you and your registry sets.

"Crawl back to the big board"...your true colors are shining through.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Be nice to pmh1nic now, he does know a little bit bout coins.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

Wondercoin, when you came to this board in May, was your original intenion to recruit customers, or participate and offer your opinion on coin related issues, try your best to help other members in any way you could, and attempt to learn something yourself (which would be difficult since you obviously know it all).

Be careful Mitch, the market you make a living in is an artificial one, registry sets were created as a marketing tool for PCGS, to get people to send in thousands of common coins, just like the ones in your pocket. It's not an established market, like real coin collecting, it's a fad, just like the roll craze of the 60's, it will come to an end. And if the registry goes under, so will you. I woudn't push it.