Home Sports Talk
Options

Junior leaving DEI

kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
Most of you "racing isn't a sport" guys may not care, but this a huge deal in the world of NASCAR. Apparently he got tired enough of his step-mom to abandon the company his father created. It will be interesting to see what happens if he lands with Hendrick (which could be highly likely). Going to a team like that would probably be enough to make him a multi-champion.

JR.
Travis

Comments

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    If he goes to Hendrick, I would not be surprised if some of his fans abandoned ship and started to root for RCR or another DEI car becuase of his father's history with those teams. I just wish Kahne would get his crap together.( I am a legit Kahne fan and kind of inherited him after Awesome Bill from Dawsonville retired)
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    And in other news, the Canadian women's curling team is holding two-a-day practices in anticipation of their forthcoming match with the much loathed Swedish squad. "We know their coming for us", said Helga Brasgaard, the Swedish captain. "They still have bitter taste from losing at the world championship last year, and they are looking to get rid of that". When queried about the team's relentless practice schedule, the Canadian captain Lindsay Newfoundland was candid and unapologetic. "Representing the national team is a huge responsibility", she said. "Fortunately, most of our team is big enough to handle the challenge. But if any of them don't like the long hours on the ice, they can always return to eating poutine in Quebec City".
  • Options
    OK Boo, I'll ask:

Did you cut and paste that, or use your journalism degree and make that up? That was very, very funny.

Joe
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>OK Boo, I'll ask:

Did you cut and paste that, or use your journalism degree and make that up? That was very, very funny.

Joe >>

I've been drinking Bacardi and Coke tonight, and when that happens posts like this occasionally vault their way to the fore of my conscious. Hope KC doesn't take offense-- just having some fun late at night in front of the keyboard.
  • Options
    OK, I am not a racing fan but ....

Why wouldn't Jr and Theresa try to really work this out without the media spin. It seems obvious that Jr is the only marketing figure at DEI and lets face it, this team is owned by a racing family. In this situation it would seem that a team built on a family name would almost have to have the legacy continue to be successful (due to the passing of Sr). So now the case has went to public opinion. Theresa will want the sympathy votes for Jr trying a hostile takeover and Jr will want the popular and fan vote. In the end it seems that the only thing that will suffer is Dale Sr's legacy. A shame that his name and the team could not be spared this nonsense.

Just an opinion (as I am probably missing some key facts in all this)...
    ---------------------------------------------

"The Villain"

Shiba Rescue Organization
    A Shiba Inu is a terrible thing to waste! image
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Tony Stewart said it best - What is DEI without Dale Jr? A museum."
  • Options
    I look at it like this. Theresa has had 5+ years controlling this team and it hasn't gone anywhere. It is no better now than it was when Sr. died. It is a mediocre team at best that, if not for Jr. and the run of restrictor plate dominance with he and Michael Waltrip a few years back, would have nothing to show. Jr. knew he had the clout to ask for control because, let's face it, he couldn't have done much worse. He's not getting any younger, and regardless of whether or not he was with the family team, he will always be compared to his dad. He has a real sense of urgency that he needs to accomplish something and soon.

It really is up in the air where he could end up. He will be driving a Chevy, and Bud will follow him, however Hendrick has their max # of drivers, Gibbs doesn't want alcohol sponsorship, and going to Childress wouldn't exactly get him out of his father's shadow, especially if he drove the #3.

DEI is now officially F'ed. They won't be able to land anyone of the magnitude as Jr. (as none exist), and the sponsors will be hard to come by. I read somewhere that him leaving DEI will cut the value of the organization in half ($57 million to about $25 million). It's too bad, but Tony Stewart was right.
    Travis
  • Options
    Is Dale Jr. overrated? Seems to me he is
  • Options
    He's overrated in the sense that he is the most popular driver but really hasn't had much in the way of results. But considering the standard he's being measured to, anyone would be considered overrated. He had one really good year when he won Daytona and contended for the championship, but other than that he's just been good but not great. If he goes to a Hendrick, Gibbs or RCR type program and doesn't preform, then he could and should definitely be considered overrated, but in DEI's stuff, it's hard to gauge.
    Travis
  • Options
    I am a NASCAR fan but autoracing stopped being a sport some time back. Now it is strickly a buttom line business with all the politics that go with it. Owners, drivers, engine builders etc. are pieces of a puzzle. To suggest the importance of one piece negates the importance of another is simply naive.
  • Options

<< <i>He's overrated in the sense that he is the most popular driver but really hasn't had much in the way of results. But considering the standard he's being measured to, anyone would be considered overrated. He had one really good year when he won Daytona and contended for the championship, but other than that he's just been good but not great. If he goes to a Hendrick, Gibbs or RCR type program and doesn't preform, then he could and should definitely be considered overrated, but in DEI's stuff, it's hard to gauge. >>

I think that he'll take one of two options -

1) RCR - drive #33 (which RCR owns and runs part time with driver Scott Wimmer) and then switch to #3 later in his career.

2) Ginn Racing (not Gibbs) - they have the money and the motivation to make him a winner. DEI will let him take the #8 if this happens. Mark Martin being with Ginn will help.

In either situation he gets some guidance from older experienced drivers or owners. He needs that. If I had to pick today I might say Ginn.

Some speculate that he may already have a deal that has not been announced. If that is the case my money would be on RCR.

The issue I see with RCR, Gibbs and Hendrick is the competition from the established drivers on those teams. They're his own age and may not want to share the spotlight. The younger ones like Kyle Bush and Denny Hamlin could have a problem too, but I'll bet those teams would let them go if trouble arose. Jr. brings too much guaranteed money in marketing.

Prediction - he'll never win a championship. image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Prediction - he'll never win a championship. image >>

So that makes him the "Anna Kournikova" of NASCAR?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Prediction - he'll never win a championship. image >>

So that makes him the "Anna Kournikova" of NASCAR? >>

Well he has won some races so he's ahead of her in that respect.

However, he'll never look nearly as good pictured half naked in Maxim.

+1 for Anna.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "Why wouldn't Jr and Theresa try to really work this out without the media spin."

It appears they have tried for some time now. This does not appear to be an overnight thing to me.

Should be a good move for Junior and whoever picks him up. NASCAR is not a cheap sport to play in and he brings in a lot of sponsors. DEI is the losing party here I think.

Is he overrated? Perhaps, but one must understand NASCAR is not a sport where only the top two are well liked by fans.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Not a fan of NASCAR but couldn't really avoid the news coverage of this story on TV.

Apparently Dale Jr. and his stepmom don't see eye to eye on a number of things so he felt it best to split and start over somewhere
    else. It is not all that unusual in a general business sense but being NASCAR and the famous name attached makes it much more
    high profile.

Its a good old boy family feud with speculation as to what racing team he will end up at and NASCAR fans tongues waging like crazy.
  • Options
    Reports are that he'll be driving for Hendrick next year, the announcement is scheduled for tomorrow.

If he wants a championship it's the place to be.
    Travis
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    As long as they don't give him the 25 team and crew, he should do quite well there. If he gets Busch's team, he is a championship contender immediately.
  • Options
    Have to say that I'm surprised, if this does indeed happen. Looks certain.

Guess Hendrick was not happy with Kyle Busch. He was in contract negotiations I hear. Word is that he goes to DEI.

The Gibbs and Ginn teams claim not to be involved in Wednesday's press conference, and Childress is reportedly out of the country. Check www.jayski.com.

It will be interesting for sure to see the dynamics between Gordon, Johnson and Junior.

Will Gordon now not be subject to flying beer cans if he wins again at Talladega? image

Who gets the pass when these guys are 1, 2, and 3 in the last ten laps of a race. How long before Gordon punts Junior into a wall and claims "it's just racing?" He wouldn't do that to Johnson, that's for sure.

Maybe the ride in Busch's car earlier this year really did pay off after all?