Home Sports Talk
Options

SI ranks top 50 most valuable baseball players - guess who's number 1

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not sure I agree with every pick. Just at a glance, I might put Jose Reyes at number 2. I don't think I agree with Brian McCann at number 9. I do, however agree with number 1. Take a look.

SI Top 50

Edited to say - Link is fixed.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Your link brings up a page to post another topic...
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Off-field factors such as marketability are not considered, except to the extent that they affect on-field performance >>

This is a joke, if this quote was true how do you leave out one of the hottest players in baseball? Batting 338 with 11 HR's, 23 RBI's, 33 BB with only 12 SO's and an OBP of 527 and a perfect Fielding PCT of 1.000. BARRY BONDS

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    Link is fixed.

So, your telling me that you would start a team with Barry Bonds at the age of 40 something? That list is not listing the MVP's of this season so far. It is listing which player is the most valuable to start a franchise with w/ money not being considered.

Shane

• Options
    Ok, i get that. I did not catch the starting a new team from scratch thing. However, I believe you would want a couple of veterans to help lead the younger guys.

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    But would you really want Barry Bonds to be that veteran influence on your younger players?
    Travis
  • Options
    If that list was a list of the 50 top MVP's for this season so far - Pujols wouldn't even be on the list. He has pretty much stunk it up so far, and he is STILL number 1.

Shane

• Options
    8% of this list includes Indians players

• Options
    MantleMarisFordBerraMantleMarisFordBerra Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭
    Alright, I'm gonna mark out for Jeter...#31?!?!?!? WTF? Now I realize he is entering the 2nd half of his carear, but he is still producing at a great clip, no signs he'll be slowing down over the next 6 years (except for natural aging) and he knows how to win, and if you're building a team, you'll need someone to be the "captain", to be the leader. Now I'm not saying he should be #1, even I would take King Albert, but come on, 31??? Someone's anti-Yankee bais is showing a bit.
  • Options
    No, I would not want Bonds to be that veteran. As much as I think Bonds is one of the greatest players of all time, he has never been the best role model or teammate and that is a shame. He has been trying to turn that around this year.... way to late Barry, but nice try.

• Options

<< <i>Alright, I'm gonna mark out for Jeter...#31?!?!?!? WTF? Now I realize he is entering the 2nd half of his carear, but he is still producing at a great clip, no signs he'll be slowing down over the next 6 years (except for natural aging) and he knows how to win, and if you're building a team, you'll need someone to be the "captain", to be the leader. Now I'm not saying he should be #1, even I would take King Albert, but come on, 31??? Someone's anti-Yankee bais is showing a bit. >>

Jeter at 31 - I have no problem with. I did have a little problem with Alex Rodriguez at 10 (was it). Even though he is 31, he is still the top 2 or 3 hitters in the game and he has several good years left.

Shane

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hanley Ramirez is #6. image

Still not a horrible trade though.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Alright, I'm gonna mark out for Jeter...#31?!?!?!? WTF? Now I realize he is entering the 2nd half of his carear, but he is still producing at a great clip, no signs he'll be slowing down over the next 6 years (except for natural aging) and he knows how to win, and if you're building a team, you'll need someone to be the "captain", to be the leader. Now I'm not saying he should be #1, even I would take King Albert, but come on, 31??? Someone's anti-Yankee bais is showing a bit. >>

image You guys are hilarious! Thanks for the laughs, good stuff!

I ran through the list quickly, but did I miss Manny somewhere? Or, are they discounting his lofty hitting stats because of his current age?

And, what about some of the other great young arms like Halladay, Kazmir, and Oswalt?
  • Options
    some folks are missing the point and gist of the article.
    assemble a team from this point forward....

I wouldnt draft bonds and expect him to play 5 years from now.

the whole point was to get young players going forward with upside. drafting players in their mid to late 30's or 40's doesnt make sense.

I disagree with some of the pick, or placement of the pics. but it was a fun read.

I can't disagree with Grady Sizemore :0) being very high on that last. Still learning, improving. He would def. be on a team I'd draft today and want to keep for 5 years.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Decent read, I dont agree with alot of it but a list like that could be decifered hundreds of ways.
  • Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    wow Twins #2 mauer and #3 Santana, I am impressed with my Twinsimage
  • Options
    I was equally impressed having three Tribe members image
  • Options
    Chris Young 48th most valuable player in the league? Eh...
    I personally would put Santana #1, pitching is the key.
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>I was equally impressed having three Tribe members image >>

Only three? Sizemore, Martinez, Hafner, Sabathia....Hmmm that makes four.
    Unless Shapiro has just made a trade tonight.