Home Sports Talk
Options

Schilling on Bonds: "He admitted to cheating on his wife, cheating on his taxes, and cheating o

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
Link

Already, it looks like Curt needs some attention in light of the Clemens stuff. image

The only thing Bonds admitted to was the "cream", so it will be interested to see how #38 tries to wiggle out of this one.

Comments

• Options
    What a stupid thing to say. For someone that grilled the media last week about accuracy, I think good ole' Curt is 0 - 3 on this one. Please do not talk Curt, just pitch.

Thanks
  • Options
    jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    What do you mean 0 for 3. Bonds got in trouble for not declaring autograph earnings (as he got paid in cash) and his mistress wrote a book.
    I am not even going to comments on steroids.
  • Options

<< <i>What do you mean 0 for 3. Bonds got in trouble for not declaring autograph earnings (as he got paid in cash) and his mistress wrote a book.
    I am not even going to comments on steroids. >>

The key is that Bonds did not ADMIT these things (except the steroid cream, which he claims he did not know it had steroids). Schilling should have said that these things were PROVEN, but not that Bonds admitted them.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The key is that Bonds did not ADMIT these things (except the steroid cream, which he claims he did not know it had steroids). Schilling should have said that these things were PROVEN, but not that Bonds admitted them. >>

That seems like nitpicking but legally it is an important distinction. I would think Bonds might have a case for pursuing a slander lawsuit, but IMO he's best served by ignoring the comments entirely. Bonds never admitted to cheating on the game that I've heard.
  • Options
    Exactly, these items have never been admitted by Bonds - there is a difference. And for Schilling to bring up Bonds' personal life is just low and not cool.
  • Options
    Where was Curt Schilling's mouth at the Senate hearings when he all of a sudden got amnesia??

In the hearing they brought up a Schilling quote on how "body parts that just don't fit" and Schilling all of a sudden didn't recall. Schilling is a clown.

Papi saying his stuff is most likely cover for his own use too image....much like Palmeiro's finger waving and adament denial was cover. Those things always worked well in the principal office image...espcially Papi's 'admission' to taking a protein shake in his country. How convenient, hmmm. It is rather easy to read right through these clowns.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    So Skin, let's let everyone use steroids that wants too, that way you can't "specualte" who has an who hasn't. SHEESH
  • Options

<< <i>So Skin, let's let everyone use steroids that wants too, that way you can't "specualte" who has an who hasn't. SHEESH >>

I think that is what is happening now, no?
  • Options
    RipMass, I'm not quite sure what you are getting at.

But yes, nobody right now is beyond suspicion, for that matter even Schilling himself. If he was concerned about steroids, he would have been adament that the union do blood tests for steroids, and the bigger epidemic...HGH. He even had his chance at the Senate hearings, but was a big dissapointment. Now he is making some comments that he should have made before. He has a chance to demand the union to incorporate blood testing. If he does not, then he is just as big a problem as any user(and should be considered under the same suspicion...otherwise why would he hide).

What I was getting at with Papi, is that it was pretty convenient for him to say he took protein shakes in his country, and he didn't know what was in them. That is a good cover, and maybe his intelligence is a step above a snail after all.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Schilling but screw him for saying all that. All he needs to do is pitch for the Red Sox, be a good teamate, hate the Yankees and worry about his own personal bussiness.
  • Options
    Well, Curt issued an apology on his Blog: Link

He tends to put his foot in his mouth on occasion, but he usually is man enough to admit when he is wrong.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, Curt issued an apology on his Blog: Link

He tends to put his foot in his mouth on occasion, but he usually is man enough to admit when he is wrong. >>

Im glad, really. Good for him to be a man and apoligize, I have no problem with Curt if he feels that way but to put it on the airways for everyone to see and hear is just wrong.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But yes, nobody right now is beyond suspicion, for that matter even Schilling himself. If he was concerned about steroids, he would have been adament that the union do blood tests for steroids, and the bigger epidemic...HGH. He even had his chance at the Senate hearings, but was a big dissapointment. Now he is making some comments that he should have made before. He has a chance to demand the union to incorporate blood testing. If he does not, then he is just as big a problem as any user(and should be considered under the same suspicion...otherwise why would he hide). >>

We must have seen different hearings because the ones I saw, Schilling was 100% for additional tests, harsher penalties, and was hoping Canseco was doing this to out steriods and not sell books.

I could be mistaken but that's what I recall...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I cannot stand it when someone says something one day and says sorry the next. You said what you felt (right or wrong) move on and pitch.
  • Options
    From Schilling's blog

on 09 May 2007 at 2:23 pm5 Manny Ramirez
    Ey mang, joo think too much bout things that no matter. Come on, mang. Barry Bonds all the way on the West Coast and we here in Boston, mang.

People ask me all the frigging time why I no do interviews on EEI, mang. I say to them, joo never know what they gonna say next.

All I gots to say is God Bless Jesus, joo made a mistake, you kiss it up to him and joo keeps on pitching, mang.

Toronto too cold for Manny, mang. If I not there tonight tell Tito I selling my Escalade.

Peace
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I cannot stand it when someone says something one day and says sorry the next. You said what you felt (right or wrong) move on and pitch. >>

Normally I agree, but this one went beyond the usual mealy-mouthed, watered-down and weasel worded apology. He called himself out, didn't blame anyone for misquoting him or taking it out of context, and flat out called himself a hypocrite on the matter.

Yeah, there is too much shooting first and apologizing later as if it makes all well. But I did find it refreshing to see the forcefulness and unconditional acceptance of the blame that he took here.
  • Options
    Curt Schilling is an idiot, enough said. he needs to worry about his own life and pitching for the Boston Red Sox. what a moron.
  • Options
    Stown,

I would have to see the minutes of the hearing, but what I remember is being dissapointed in him when he had a good opportunity to back up statements he made in the past...statements to the extent of guys having body parts that just don't belong on their bodies. It was as if MLB union had told him to keep a lid on things more than anything else.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I love Curt Schilling, and I don't care if he's a gasbag. Anytime one of these cookie-cutter athletes stands up and says what's on their mind-- even if it's entirely inaccurate--then I'm inclined to get behind them. I'm sure Schilling has had any number of run ins with Bonds, since they've both been in the league forever, and he's probably feeling the same way the rest of us are feeling; i.e., totally incredulous that a jerk ass like Barry Bonds is going to break Aaron's record. So, he decided to sound off. Good for him.

On another note, I also like Barry Bonds. Or at least I respect him. He may be a cheater, but he's definitely one man who could give a flying fondue about what the rest of the free world thinks about his assault on the HR record, which is enough for me to at least harbor a grudging respect for him.
  • Options

<< <i>
    On another note, I also like Barry Bonds. Or at least I respect him. He may be a cheater, but he's definitely one man who could give a flying fondue about what the rest of the free world thinks about his assault on the HR record, which is enough for me to at least harbor a grudging respect for him. >>

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I love reading the comments by the Schilling apologists. Man enough to admit a mistake, sorry he had no choice but to admit he puked out misinformation or face a lawsuit and continued grilling on sports shows. He'd be more of a man if he just realized he too full of himself and just shut up. After his career he can co-host a show with Rush Limpbaugh.

I seriously doubt that anyone outside of Beantown gives two cents what he says about anything. His credibility for anyone who pays attention to him was already shot, this was just another full of himself athlete revealing his intellectual ignorance. Like his manager said yesterday.........just shut up!
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Clearly the things that Curt Schilling said about Barry Bonds were inappropriate and out of line and cannot be supported. He recognized that and apologized for it and his apology appears sincere. If I was Barry Bonds, I’d be really bothered. But s part of the public, I’d be really bothered if he didn’t apologize.

So what bothers me about this thread is the hypocrisy of saying Curt should keep his comments about someone else to himself and yet people are reeling off putdowns like calling him a “clown,” an “idiot,” and a “moron” as well as accusing him of “intellectual ignorance,” being “full of himself” and being a flip-flopper for having apologized.

The only real difference between what Curt said and what we post is that very few people read what we have to say and even fewer people care. Frankly, if Volver was famous and he joked on the radio about Manny’s fictional blog entry the whole country would be talking about what a racist he is.

What it boils down to is that free speech has become a freedom enjoyed only by the anonymous. Of course people in the public eye can still say whatever they want to as long as they are willing to pay the price (see Don Imus for a recent example). We’re very quick to burn them at the stake when they screw up like this, but slow to recognize the same mistakes in our own lives.

I enjoy Curt Schilling precisely because he says what he thinks. If you don’t like his politics or agree with his religious beliefs there is a good chance you won’t like him and you will think of him as a blowhard simply because he is an outspoken individual that is willing to talk about more than just baseball. These names we’ve been calling him, however, only serve to prove our own hypocrisy. My point is just that we should all take a couple minutes and think before we start chucking our stones.

That’s just my two cents. Sorry for the soapbox rant.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Clearly the things that Curt Schilling said about Barry Bonds were inappropriate and out of line and cannot be supported. He recognized that and apologized for it and his apology appears sincere. If I was Barry Bonds, I’d be really bothered. But s part of the public, I’d be really bothered if he didn’t apologize.

So what bothers me about this thread is the hypocrisy of saying Curt should keep his comments about someone else to himself and yet people are reeling off putdowns like calling him a “clown,” an “idiot,” and a “moron” as well as accusing him of “intellectual ignorance,” being “full of himself” and being a flip-flopper for having apologized.

The only real difference between what Curt said and what we post is that very few people read what we have to say and even fewer people care. Frankly, if Volver was famous and he joked on the radio about Manny’s fictional blog entry the whole country would be talking about what a racist he is.

What it boils down to is that free speech has become a freedom enjoyed only by the anonymous. Of course people in the public eye can still say whatever they want to as long as they are willing to pay the price (see Don Imus for a recent example). We’re very quick to burn them at the stake when they screw up like this, but slow to recognize the same mistakes in our own lives.

I enjoy Curt Schilling precisely because he says what he thinks. If you don’t like his politics or agree with his religious beliefs there is a good chance you won’t like him and you will think of him as a blowhard simply because he is an outspoken individual that is willing to talk about more than just baseball. These names we’ve been calling him, however, only serve to prove our own hypocrisy. My point is just that we should all take a couple minutes and think before we start chucking our stones.

That’s just my two cents. Sorry for the soapbox rant. >>

People calling Schilling the things they do here are their opinions and they have the right to speak them. Schilling made a statement as if it were fact, when it's simply unproven. That's not an opinion, that's slander... There's a difference.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>People calling Schilling the things they do here are their opinions and they have the right to speak them. Schilling made a statement as if it were fact, when it's simply unproven. That's not an opinion, that's slander... There's a difference. >>

I see what you are saying, but some of the things written here have not been expressed as opinions. For example, the comment that “Schilling is a moron” was not qualified with anything like: “in my view,” or “I think that.” It was said definitively, as if no discussion or alternate opinion could reasonably be entertained. I don’t really see the difference between that sort of comment and the remarks Schilling made.

If Schilling’s comments were slander (I’m not saying they weren’t) then why isn’t “Schilling is a moron” libel?
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>People calling Schilling the things they do here are their opinions and they have the right to speak them. Schilling made a statement as if it were fact, when it's simply unproven. That's not an opinion, that's slander... There's a difference. >>

I see what you are saying, but some of the things written here have not been expressed as opinions. For example, the comment that “Schilling is a moron” was not qualified with anything like: “in my view,” or “I think that.” It was said definitively, as if no discussion or alternate opinion could reasonably be entertained. I don’t really see the difference between that sort of comment and the remarks Schilling made.

If Schilling’s comments were slander (I’m not saying they weren’t) then why isn’t “Schilling is a moron” libel? >>

Schilling said Bonds admitted to those things. Bonds never did.

ooops, hit enter too soon. Also, moron is defined as 1. a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment

Schilling, by making this statement, was lacking good judgement... Thus, Schilling is a moron image