Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Carew 1977 - image included

It seems to me that Carew's 1977 season is overlooked. Everyone knows Brett hit .390 in 1980 and Gwynn flirted with .400 in the strike-season of '94 and that Ted Williams was the last guy to bang .400, but Carew's 1977 season of .388 seems to float beneath the radar a bit. That was an unreal season for both Carew AND the Twins. Anyway, I was prepping this slide and just LOVE the clarity and lighting on it. I know there are some Carew card collectors here and thought you'd like to see the man just before his fantastic 1977 season...

Here he is in '73 with the cheezy mustache...he looks like The Continental from SNL! Where's his smoking jacket??? Is Killebrew flipping us the bird? You be the judge.

Comments

• Options
    rw2winrw2win Posts: 557
    Yes, you are the man, Feel better now?
  • Options
    Is that sarcasm?
  • Options
    downgoesfrazierdowngoesfrazier Posts: 1,515 ✭✭

<< <i>Yes, you are the man, Feel better now? >>

What did I miss?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phil

That's about the best portrait pic I've ever seen of Carew!

Sweet.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,
    From one man to another...Rod's a photogenic guy! He's ruggedly handsome. Rich, bronze skin tone, muscular with those hazel eyes...lost my thoughts there for a minute image
    I used to really dig the Twins uniforms when they wore the bright whites--no pins. While they're at it, how 'bout playing outdoors again? This photo was taken in the "Met" parking lot.
    dgf
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    youre the man dgf..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

This is my favorite Carew item - a 73T Candy Lid proof - I wish they used a shot like yours!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,
    Where on earth did you get THAT thing?
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Agreed. Carew always did photograph well. Kind of like Ernie Banks.
    Got any Banks photos DGF?

1977 was a great summer for Baseball. I remember it well. I was 14 and deliverying Sunday Chicago Tribune's in Milwaukee. I remember always studying the Sunday's Baseball averages to how well Carew was doing. He always seemed to be hitting 60 points higher than every other batter. Amazing career year for Rod.
  • Options
    Card,
    Indeed. Banks photographs quite well. Unlike Andy Etchebarren, Ron Karkovice, Willie McGee, Otis Nixon...

...I know the action shot doesn't show his face, but it's just so clean! It's also new and the template was available when I uploaded the images. The rest of my Banks stuff is action.

dgf
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I'll never forget Rod stealing home 7 times during the '69 season. He was electric at bat and on the base paths! Here's a link to a quick read -- and a neat magazine (Time) cover photo of Rod...
  • Options

<< <i>Card,
    Indeed. Banks photographs quite well. >>

Like Ruben Sierra. I collected his photogenic cards for a while. Got any of him, dgf??

[edited to add -- and then remove -- Sierra pic..]
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

That year, and that chase, are vivid in my mind.

<< <i>Agreed. Carew always did photograph well. Kind of like Ernie Banks. >>

Cepeda, too. And more recently, Dave Justice. They all had that Harry Belafonte thing going on.

I remember getting a Twins helmet with my slushie at Hop In a couple of years before that, when I was @ 8, and not having the faintest clue what team sported that logo image
  • Options
    williplettwilliplett Posts: 471 ✭✭
    I have Carew's 77 card in PSA 10. Simply a stunning card from his best year. As a dyed in the wool Minnesotan, Carew was a stud!
  • Options
    Phil, I love these shots you come up with. Carew does photograph well. Have any shots from around the mid to late 60's of him?
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic shot! I was hoping you would post some Carew images with the dgf treatment.

Also agree that his 77 season is overlooked, then again I think his career is overlooked by many.

One of the top pure hitters in the history of the game. Action images before 73 are kind of rare, keep an eye out!

Thanks again,
    Randall

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fantastic shot! I was hoping you would post some Carew images with the dgf treatment.

Also agree that his 77 season is overlooked, then again I think his career is overlooked by many.

One of the top pure hitters in the history of the game. Action images before 73 are kind of rare, keep an eye out!

Thanks again,
    Randall >>

Agree with this statement, I remember watching him as a kid, and man he could just slap that ball to any part of the field he wanted.
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Phil,

As always, great shots! Carew is one of my childhood favorites. I think he is very underappreciated, though obviously not on this board. Great work.

Robert
  • Options

<< <i>One of the top pure hitters in the history of the game. >>

You can just about eliminate the words "one of". He was absolutely gorgeous to watch. I think Howard Cosell had man-love for him...could you blame him?
    The guy is so deeply underappreciated. One night at the old Comiskey Park, my Dad said to pay special attention to him. I was around 8 years old--that age when memories really start--and Carew just went off. It was as if my Dad MADE it happen. Carew lashed a laser-like beam into the left-field corner and I watched it scoot down the line. We were sitting looking directly down the 3rd base line. Later, he hit a ball off of the picnic sign in RCF and had to abruptly put the brakes on rounding third. He was--in my little boy mind--the fastest player ever! Lemon played the ball perfectly, hit Orta and Jorge just heaved it plateward. It's funny how huge those kind of memories are when you're older.
    I remember Tony Perez rounding third in a game at Wrigley Field when he was playing with Montreal in 1977. He was so huge as the dirt kicked out behind him and he grunted rounding the bag. We had front row seats behind the Cubs dugout that day. I swear I thought Perez wore eye make-up. He had these circles around his eyes that looked like eye shadow. When he rounded third he looked like he was 8 feet tall and weighed 300 pounds. He was actually scary!
    I'll try to dig up some more Carew...
    dgf
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,
    Where on earth did you get THAT thing? >>

I have a small collection of proofs Phil.

Most from the Toppsvault. But this one was sold to me by a board member.

I think I made a thread on them and have posted them in mailcall. Edit: I did two years ago.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Those are really cool.
  • Options

I'll try to post a few more. I have to go through the B&W archives and pull some from a Red Sox/Twins game I have from '71 and '73 for action shots. I may have some Carew action.
  • Options

Killebrew looking on!
    This one is from the early 70's
  • Options

...woops! That's Candy Earl...Candy/Carew...honest mistake...er...image
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Phil, here's a request you don't get everday, got any Darrell Porter shots?

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
  • Options
    Abe,
    I have a few. I'll pull up a couple of favorites...

dgf
  • Options

• Options
    Really, really Old School
    Truth be told, he looks absolutely hammered in this shot.
  • Options
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't think that is Killebrew...I was thinking Danny Thompson
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    It actually is Killebrew. I see where you were going, though.

These are NOT Killebrew...

• Options
    dgf,

Excellent shots of Sir Rodney. I can't get enough of them!

Thanks again for sharing...
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    keep'em coming phil!
    Bob