Home Sports Talk
Options

Ortiz not convinced Bonds a product of steroids

ESPN,.com news services

Count David Ortiz among those who isn't convinced Barry Bonds used illegal performance-enhancing drugs -- or if they really helped the San Francisco Giants outfielder make his run at Hank Aaron's home run record.

Ortiz
"To hit the ball, the guy makes it look easy, but it ain't. I don't know how you can have that swing, consistently. I don't know how steroids can do that," Ortiz told the Boston Herald. "There are supposed to be guys using steroids in the game, and there's nobody close to Barry Bonds. What's that mean? He was using the best [stuff]? Know what I'm saying?"

The Boston Red Sox designated hitter told the Herald that no one has proven that Bonds knowingly used steroids or other performance-enhancing substances -- and that even if it were proven, he's not sure it has made a difference.

"I don't look at it like that. I look at it hitting-wise, because I don't know what steroids can do to you as a baseball player. You've still got to swing the bat, man," Ortiz said. "If I ever use steroids, and then I know what the difference can be and I'm using them, I'll tell you, 'Yeah, whatever,' but I don't know what the feelings are when you use the steroids. But I can tell you how it feels to pull yourself together to swing the bat."

In fact, Ortiz isn't 100 percent certain he hasn't taken steroids himself. He told the Herald that when he was a young player in the Dominican Republic, he used to drink protein shakes for sale there. He explained he no longer does so because he can't be sure they don't include banned substances.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that [stuff] up, and I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it," Ortiz told the Herald. "You've got to be careful. ... I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that any more because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off of buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican. But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

Bonds and the Giants are scheduled to visit Fenway Park for a June 15-17 interleague series, and Ortiz told the newspaper that Bonds deserves a warmer welcome than he will probably get from Red Sox Nation.

"He deserves respect," Ortiz told the Herald. "People are not going to give it to him because of all the bad things running around, this and that, but people need to realize. I've heard a lot of different things about Barry Bonds, but people should just admit it -- this guy's a bad [expletive]."

And Ortiz thinks commissioner Bud Selig should commit to being on hand when Bonds breaks Aaron's major league record of 755 home runs.

"He's just making things worse," Ortiz told the Herald. "He's the commissioner, there's nothing you can do about it. You can't be saying that. What are people going to think about the game? They'll be like, 'This game is a joke.' He should come, even if he doesn't want to."

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether or not he is clean now or before people will still find ways to discount his achievments, he was/is a sure fire HOF'er even before the steroid era.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Agree that Bonds would be HOFer before steroid controversy...and IF he wasn't on steroids he would still be HOF material.... Just not such huge numbers.

I think any player is nuts to come out and make statements like this. If it is ever proven, arent you just going to look like a fool? I know I wouldnt put my neck out there for anyone, especially Bonds.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"To hit the ball, the guy makes it look easy, but it ain't. I don't know how you can have that swing, consistently. I don't know how steroids can do that," >>

God, it is so tiresome to hear this over and over again. Papi, and I love the guy mind you, is a rock if he can't figure this one out. Of course steroids does nothing for hand-eye-coordination or swing technique. No one ever said it did.
  • Options
    Im not a Sox fan, but I admire players who are honest and willing to at least talk about the Bonds situation. He may be proven wrong, but he has more guts to talk about it than a lot of players.
  • Options
    basestealerbasestealer Posts: 1,579
    There you go again, putting words into people's mouths! He never said Bonds was innocent, just as I've never said Bonds was innocent. He cannot be "proven wrong", and neither can I be "proven wrong", for "sticking our necks out for Bonds", since the only thing being said, which is the truth, is that Bonds has never tested positive for steroids and nobody has proven he knowingly took steroids. Benefit of the doubt, innocent until proven guilty--traditionally American principles, are all but lost among this uneducated generation so willing to burn witches alive without a trial, so willing to be burned themselves when the tide turns against them. There is no shame in standing up for what's right. I don't care how many drunken sports fans hurl middle fingers and idiotic sentiment at me. If Bonds is convicted of steroid use, if he tests positive, if proof beyond a reasonable doubt is ever forthcoming, don't fool yourself into believing that any of the people defending Bonds' reputation now will do so after those facts come to light. They won't. The difference is that it hasn't happened yet, and until it does Bonds should be presumed innocent.

If his performance is all you have to base your conclusion that he's juiced, then you've lost the argument right out of the gate. Because everyone putting forth these absurd arguments claim Bonds was steroid free until '99, then bam, he hits 73 homers, he must be juiced! And he gained weight, too! OOOO! But then the steroid ban and routine testing was introduced, and what do you know--Sosa loses 50 pounds, everyone's numbers fall, Raffy tests positive.... but Bonds, at 43 years of age, is on pace to hit 60 homers this year, at an age when most players are long retired. So either Bonds is still juicing (what a moron if that's true), or he never juiced in the first place.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think any player is nuts to come out and make statements like this. If it is ever proven, arent you just going to look like a fool? I know I wouldnt put my neck out there for anyone, especially Bonds. >>

I don't think he said Bonds hasn't been juicing per se. I think he is hinting at two things, both (IMO) true:

(1) There has been no proof that Bonds has juiced, and he's never tested positive;

(2) Bonds is a freak and a ridiculous talent with the bat, and would be so with or without steroids.

The first basically hints at the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. The second is an acknowledgment that even if Bonds *has* juiced, he'd still likely be one of the best ever without the stuff.

With all the scrutiny on him, I find it hard to believe he's been juicing for at least the last couple of years -- and now that he's healthy again, and almost 43 years old, he already has 10 homers and is hitting about .340. The guy simply has some of the best hand-eye coordination and one of the best batting eyes of anyone who has ever played the game, and steroids do *nothing* to help either of those things.

I don't see how Ortiz is "sticking his neck out" here.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    In the roid era where media and fans alike believe 80% or more took some stuff at one point.

You have to tip your cap to bonds. i am no fan of his but he is the best hitter i have ever seen.

look at his walks. and also look how many less games he played the aaron.

they are testing now? what if he hits another 50 this year?

boom there goes another off glavine now 745.. guy is unreal
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There you go again, putting words into people's mouths! He never said Bonds was innocent, just as I've never said Bonds was innocent. He cannot be "proven wrong", and neither can I be "proven wrong", for "sticking our necks out for Bonds", since the only thing being said, which is the truth, is that Bonds has never tested positive for steroids and nobody has proven he knowingly took steroids. Benefit of the doubt, innocent until proven guilty--traditionally American principles, are all but lost among this uneducated generation so willing to burn witches alive without a trial, so willing to be burned themselves when the tide turns against them. There is no shame in standing up for what's right. I don't care how many drunken sports fans hurl middle fingers and idiotic sentiment at me. If Bonds is convicted of steroid use, if he tests positive, if proof beyond a reasonable doubt is ever forthcoming, don't fool yourself into believing that any of the people defending Bonds' reputation now will do so after those facts come to light. They won't. The difference is that it hasn't happened yet, and until it does Bonds should be presumed innocent.

If his performance is all you have to base your conclusion that he's juiced, then you've lost the argument right out of the gate. Because everyone putting forth these absurd arguments claim Bonds was steroid free until '99, then bam, he hits 73 homers, he must be juiced! And he gained weight, too! OOOO! But then the steroid ban and routine testing was introduced, and what do you know--Sosa loses 50 pounds, everyone's numbers fall, Raffy tests positive.... but Bonds, at 43 years of age, is on pace to hit 60 homers this year, at an age when most players are long retired. So either Bonds is still juicing (what a moron if that's true), or he never juiced in the first place. >>

What on earth are you spewing about? Read the post again and think about what I wrote. I guess I should rephrase so you can understand....
    If you give your opinion about Bonds, all you are doing is opening up yourself to public scrutiny. You aren't going to look like a hero if you are right....but you will surely look like an a$$ if you are wrong and it is proven.

I am not saying that Bonds juiced though I believe it is highly likely. I can have my opinion too. And me or anyone else believing it isnt going to make a difference in the world because he is still playing baseball. Let's not forget that this entire thing is still under investigation. They are not only trying to prove Bonds' guilt but also his proclaimed innocence.

Unless you are a Bonds apologist then you are looking down a very narrow tunnel.

Edited to state: I do not disagree that Bonds is a GREAT hitter. Absolutely one of the best this game has seen. But I do think he is a product of the 80s/early 90s steroid era. The pressure to perform and make money was worthwhile for a player to take steroids. And to add to Bonds, Palmiero, Giambi, Sosa, etc...its also about ego. Again, if you don't think there is a HUGE chance that Bonds took steroids, you are looking down a very narrow tunnel.