Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Roman emperor set, thus far... mostly newps...yep, I've been a busy boy! :D

...and these are just the ones I have pictures of.

Here's pretty much my collection so far. For having been a collector of Roman Imperial coins less than a month, I think you'll agree I have come pretty far pretty fast!

Not all these are in hand yet, and there are others coming that I do not have pictures of. This thread will have to serve until I get a proper gallery.

Nero, 54-68 AD.

Nerva, 96-98 AD.

Trajan, 98-117 AD.
(No picture- it's a nice silver denarius- one of my favorites so far- gotta scan it)

Hadrian, 117-138.

Antoninus Pius, 133-161.

Lucius Verus, 161-169 AD.

Marcus Aurelius, 161-180 AD.

Commodus, 177-192 AD.
(No picture yet- it is a silver denarius)

Septimius Severus, 193-211 AD.

Caracalla, 198-217 AD.

Geta, 209-212 AD. (And a nice shot of ajaan's thumb.)

Geta, 209-212 AD.

Elagabalus, 218-222 AD.

Severus Alexander, 222-235 AD.

Maximinus, 235-238 AD.

Gordian III, 238-244 AD.

Gordian III, 238-244 AD.

Philip II, 247-249 AD.

Gallienus, 253-268 AD.

Gallienus, 253-268 AD.

Aurelian, 270-275 AD.

Probus, 276-282 AD.

Maximianus, 286-305 AD.

Galerius, 305-311 AD.

Constantine I, 307-337 AD.

Constantine I, 307-337 AD.

Licinius I, 308-324 AD.

Constans I, 337-350 AD.

Constantine II, 337-340 AD.

Constantius II, 337-361 AD.

Julian II, 360-363 AD.

Valens, 364-378 AD.

Arcadius, 383-408 AD.

Honorius, 393-423 AD.

Zeno, 474-491 AD. Of course, I've had this one for a while.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    You are off to a very strong start!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    WOW you sure have been busy. you'll conquer the entire empire in weeks at this rate. Great coins and a great start,

Dan
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice collection!

One can check out my small collection by visiting my website.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hm, well, the easy stuff falls fast and furious. I'm headin' for a real steep climb, I know. Right now I am still in those heady beginner days where there are all sorts of slots to be filled, many of them inexpensive and easy. We'll see how it goes when I am adding a coin a month, or every other month, instead of several a week (or even per day).

I guess I have a few medium-challenge pieces, though. No really big guns yet, but not all totally dirt common, either.

Speaking of "common" and "dirt", I have become rather enamored of some of those common late bronzes with the dirt-encrusted patina. That Licinius I is one of my new favorites, and I haven't even seen it yet. Those things prove that there is fun to be had even in the cheaper, later stuff.

It is really fun to stretch one's wings and explore something new. Expand the ol' horizons, to use a tired phrase. Besides, this is something I thought about doing for years, but was always too intimidated by my lack of knowledge to attempt it. (It's sort of a Catch-22- one needs knowledge to collect, but one gains said knowledge by collecting.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinmickeycoinmickey Posts: 767 ✭✭
    That's a nice job in such a short time. Some nice early Imperial stuff there...image

What's the reverese on the Nero piece?
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You appear to be well on your way, LordM. I really like the looks of that Gordian III and Caracalla image
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suspect that the reverse of the Nero denarius is "victory flying".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    You need to move to Europe and become a familiar figure, trudging over marshes and bogs with your detector.

You could become kind of an iconic "figure in the mist" legend, always searching... to be serious, you've done well collecting in your current area of interest!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    kwmorgankwmorgan Posts: 967
    Nice set!!! I only have one Roman coin.
    Silver denarius from Augustus (27BC to 14AD).

One of these days, I'd like to add a few more.
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Thanks to lordmarcovan I will be getting my first.

I know so little about these coins what reference books/materials
    would you recommend?
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    You indeed have been a busy beaver! The Gordian III, 238-244 AD AR is a heart stopper! image

The eye appeal is just incredible to me on that coin and would be one of my favorites to show off.

A fantastic start! image
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Wow, you have been busy...I love the eye appeal on that Caracalla...
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks to lordmarcovan I will be getting my first.

I know so little about these coins what reference books/materials
    would you recommend? >>

I've only got links I've saved in the last year. If you want some more
    PM me.

linky

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool collection!
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

<< <i>What's the reverese on the Nero piece? >>

<< <i>I would suspect that the reverse of the Nero denarius is "victory flying". >>

Nope. 'Tis Salus seated left on throne. Like this one, but lower grade, of course. S-1945.

• Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Definitely off to a strong start!!!

Can he keep the pace?? image

Love the patina on that Nerva BTW and that Maximus is Schweeeeet!! image
  • Options
    Thanks, Ratty.

I too liked that patina on the Nerva- can't wait to see it in hand.

<< <i>You need to move to Europe and become a familiar figure, trudging over marshes and bogs with your detector.

You could become kind of an iconic "figure in the mist" legend, always searching... >>

I really like this imagery. image

Maybe one day. I hope so.

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    A very good beginning indeed! I like the portraits on all of your Severans. The Hadrian denarius is also very nice with the heroic bust accented by toning. The Antioch mint Constantine I is a good example of the distinctive style of the eastern mints. Good stuff.

Now let's see some Flavians! image
    "Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    lookin good!!

i really like the Caracalla piece!

happy collecting Lord M!
  • Options

<< <i>Now let's see some Flavians!image >>

As you wish. image

Maybe this Titus denarius isn't the highest-grade example, but I kind of liked how the toning looks in the picture, and I dig the Capricorn reverse. That's my zodiac sign, so it had to be, I suppose.

Having sold a Domitian denarius, only to discover that its upgrade I thought was coming had been sold previously, I ended up without Domitian. (I did get a refund on the sold-out coin). So I bought two more from another dealer. Can't decide if I want bronze or silver. I believe the as is a bit scarcer.

In terms of Twelve Caesars material, I decided to replace the slabbed Vespasian I traded away. This coin is not the equal of the slabbed one I swapped away, but I did not want to crack the slab. And this one was quite inexpensive. Probably because of the weird flan. But I kind of think that gives it character. It's kind of neat to see the early portrait of him, too, supposedly engraved before he came to Rome and they got a chance to see him.

Oh, and I got Augustus, too.

So that means I have... ummm... five. Five of the Twelve Caesars. Those guys from 69 AD are gonna be tough.

• Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Yeah!

<< <i>Probably because of the weird flan. But I kind of think that gives it character. >>

THAT, is the reason I am so interested in these ancient coins! I appreciate an MS-64 anything, but with these there are no two alike... There might be 2,318 people with an MS-64 1878-S Morgan, but there will not be another duplicate to this coin as far as shape, strike, flan or wear! Each one is unique~! That is my love of these!
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...