Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

British Coronation Medals

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone here collect or look for these? Are there any good references for these? Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a pewter Edward VII medal around here somewhere- nice ornate medal, but kind of beat up- the metal is a bit soft and bendy. Smoebody gave it to me for the Holey Coin Vest, but I never put it on there.

I know next to nothing about them, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a reference on them. Maybe theboz11 or one of the other medal folk would know.

A lot of them are purty, I know that much.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    I believe Eimer pretty much wrote the book on these. Nice non-Coronation medals on his website too.

I only have the Queen Victoria coronation medal although I've been tempted to add other monarchs........but I will stand my ground with Vic....please don't tempt me.image
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I borrowed the 3-volume set of books from the ANA Library (I think the editor was Brown). I found it odd there was no official Royal Mint coronation medal listed for George VI, even though there were a number made by others.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Mesieu Cosmic know a thing or three about these.image Perhaps a PM to him..?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    My Sig line has some. I also have George the IV in silver and copper and Edward in Silver .The book for British coronation medals is "Wollastom British Coronation Medals". British Historical medals By Laurence Brown would be overkill if you are going to limit yourself, a set of these can run over $800 if you can find them

If you are interested in a Wollaston, I can spare mine, as all the medals are in the BHM volumes. PM meimage
  • Hi
    I just want to share our coronation medals
    Feel free to have a look and ask me questions

About Historical Medallions

You may be familiar with my late Aunt, Mrs Neddy Allen who was a numismatist for over 40 years, and had a special interest in medallions related to the City of London. She learnt about the medal business from her late husband, Peter Maundy Allen, and continued to trade well into her 80's. Over the last 15 years, she gradually passed on her knowledge to me and it was the stories behind each of the medallions that I found fascinating.

These historical events shaped our country and many have significance still to this day. Whether it be a gift for someone interested in a special event or something that adds to your collection, owning a medallion is to have a true piece of history to treasure.

• atomatom Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

Wonderful website!

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will get a couple of pictures taken soon.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting to see this surface 14 years later...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.