Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

ownwership of coins

For anyone interested PCGS has added a clarification to their rules for registry sets. Take a look. Now it is up to the members to police it. It is written in bold type.
RPA/PEACEKEEPER

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of you who have not read the additions to the rules, it is as follows:

In order to list your set as current, you must own the coins you are listing or be an agent with permission to represent a collection.

This was sort of the way I thought it should be.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    So what is an agent???<<<an agent with permission to represent a collection>>> I take it that means you can rent/lease but no stealing slab # from eBay auctions?

As an agent for the Dog97 Sets if any of you need some of my highest graded coin numbers make me a generous offer and I'll consider deleting that coin from my set just for you.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Dog,

The way I interpret agent would be something like this -- my grandfather has a ton of certified coins, but is not a computer kind of guy. I register the coins on his behalf with PCGS but use me as the contact point and the one with authority to change, add, or delete the coins.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Or you can be one of the few Modern dealers (agents) holding the highest graded coins for your customers who have not listed their Top Sets and be using them to get the pedigree so you can get more $$ at selling time.
  • Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Happy New Year to Everyone.

I'm kind of surprised, in a way, that there has even been a discussion about profiting from leasing coins for the set registry. I thought it was inherently clear that the registry was established for collectors who wished to list the sets they OWNED. However, as you all know, sometimes what may be clear to one person, is not so to another, so I posted an ownership rule in the registry today.

In order to register a set, you must own the coins free and clear. There is just no getting around this. Now it may be that you have a collection you are listing or want to list, but you have authorized an agent to perform the registration for you. Examples of an authorized agent would be as follows... someone putting coins up for their relative who is not computer literate, a dealer listing coins for a client (who owns the coins free and clear) who wishes to remain totally anonymous, an attorney listing coins for an estate which owns the coins free and clear, etc.

The set registry has always been self-regulating and the community that has been built around it, in my opinion, is one of great integrity. In the year the registry has been online, I have not heard of one example of fraud. Of course, I'm not omnipresent so I'm sure there may have been a few instances, but they seem to have taken care of themselves without intervention from PCGS.

If anyone should know of any registrant who is listing coins without owning them or without permission to do so, please email bj@collectors.com and I will be happy to investigate the circumstances.

Also, if the rules do not seem clear even as stated, please email me with your suggestions.

Thank you for your participation in the set registry and your concerns regarding this issue.
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Options
    Wow, working on New Years Day. image
    Marshall
  • Options
    BJ how would you conduct an investigation, call Wondercoin on his PCGS hotline and ask him who really owns a certian coin? HAHAHAHAHAHA ROFLMAO