Home Sports Talk
Options

"This is historic . . . . who ever heard of a rat jumping ON a sinking ship?"

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bill Simmons of espn.com on Clemen$$ -- also, Simmons' 2001 Clemen$ article was very prophetic about the current situation.

As for Clemens signing with the Yankees, I was surprised by my lack of emotion as I watched him pull a Jimmy Chitwood and address his forgiving lapdogs at Yankee Stadium (who seemed perfectly willing to forget that Clemens screwed them over a few years ago by fleeing to Houston). I didn't really care. I swear, I didn't care.

In fact, here are 10 reasons why I'm happy that the Rocket signed with the Yankees.

1. There's finally a villain on the 2007 Yankees. Just like the good old days. I was tired of talking myself into despising A-Rod and Posada.

2. Since he didn't sign with Boston, I wasn't put in the position of (A) having to boycott his starts, and (B) feeling constantly sick because so many Red Sox fans would have been perfectly willing to forgive him if he came back. This would have been awful. I would not have handled it well. Now I get to look forward to the possibility of Clemens pitching in Fenway in three weeks while the entire crowd chants, "H-G-H! H-G-H! H-G-H! H-G-H!" Much better.

3. He burned his bridges with yet another city (Houston). Love when that happens.

4. Watching the inevitable "Brokeback Mountain" parody trailer on YouTube with Clemens and Andy Pettitte. It hasn't happened yet, but you know it's coming.

5. If he'd signed with Boston, between Dice-K Mania, Beckett's quest for 30 wins and the return of the greatest Red Sox pitcher ever, Curt Schilling might have snapped from a lack of attention -- we could have seen him break a baseball bat over a Japanese photographer's head just to grab the spotlight again. Glad we avoided this.

6. Honestly? I don't think Clemens will be that good for the Yanks. He turns 45 in August and he's been pitching in an inferior hitting league for the past few years. Physically, it just doesn't add up. He's defying the career paths of every other pitcher in the the history of baseball … I mean, even a freak of nature like Nolan Ryan started to break down in his mid-40s. How is Clemens still chugging along? How? I just feel like the odds of Clemens either breaking down or becoming involved in a massive scandal seem to be much greater than the odds of him continuing to be an elite pitcher. And if he stinks … it's going to be glorious. Just glorious.

7. The Yankees' clubhouse is already fragile enough … now they're adding a guy who abides by his own sets of rules, flies back home after every start, drags his kids around with him like Michael Jackson and comes and goes when he pleases? Sounds like a recipe for disaster, doesn't it? If he struggles out of the gate, the Yankees fans will turn on him faster than the WWE fans turning on John Cena during a pay-per-view.

8. We're coming closer and closer to my dream of Clemens' Hall of Fame plaque featuring a cap with a dollar sign on it. I feel like it's a genuine possibility at this point.

9. The Red Sox spitefully giving No. 21 to someone else this season, preferably the worst pitcher on the team. In fact, I vote that they bring Rich Garces back, feed him burritos until he passes the 400-pound mark, then squash him into a No. 21 jersey and hire him as the bullpen coach.

10. Looking forward to an entire season of e-mails like these …

RC in Guatemala City: "So let me get this straight … we're supposed to be scared of the Yankees hiring a 45-year-old fat dude with groin problems? Really?"

Jason T. in Maine: "I'm happy Roger is going to the Yankees. Trying to bring him back to Boston made me feel like Forrest Gump at the end of the movie. You know, when Jenny, the used-up coke fiend, came back to Forrest to die of AIDS after screwing half the continent. After the last two series, the amount of hate for the Yankees, at least in my heart, was in serious decline. Now I feel reinvigorated, full of hate for all things pinstriped."

Gary in Somerville, Mass.: "I thought you were nuts last year when you were openly hoping that Roger didn't come back to Boston. But after he dangled himself in front of the Yanks, Sox and Astros AGAIN this year I snapped out of it and realized that some things just aren't worth another championship. That grotesque display today IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME told me I made the right choice. Am I the only one that finds this Clemens/Pettitte thing more than a little odd? I can imagine that when Roger told his wife that he was going back to the Yankees she had the same look on her face that Michelle Williams did when Heath Ledger told her he was going 'fishing' with Jake Gyllenhaal."

John F. in Kansas: "This is historic … who ever heard of a rat jumping ON a sinking ship?"

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disgruntled writers putting their thoughts on paper hardly makes this what you guys hope it will be. The bottom line is that if Rocket signed with the Sox the rhetoric coming out would be flipped flopped. Sox fans in glory as Roger comes "home" to finally retire, Yankee fans mocking the move. Ahhhh the rilvalry!

The more I read this crap, the funnier it all gets. Oh, and the Yanks rotation gets deeper for the stretch run .....as I don't know one Yankee fan who thinks for a second that Clemens is any kind of savior as one man. What he is going to do is thicken that rotation and be a very good influence on Phil Hughes. I'll take that image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    It's apparent that Clemens wanted not only the money, but also the appearance of being the savior of the team. Why else would a player take so long to make a decision, unless it was one that was going to make him out to look like the hero? It's the same scenario as when he went to Houston - he wants to be in the situation that makes him out to be the good guy.

But can he honestly be perceived that way? David Wells and Greg Maddux both have made public statements to the effect of Clemens' situation would be a detriment to team morale. How is a player who travels with the team every day supposed to look at Clemens' preferential treatment, and unwillingness to be a part of the team except when he has to, and think it's going to be good for the team?

Red Sox fans are a bit too blase when it comes to this signing - if they had gotten Clemens, they'd be saying what a great addition it would be. Likewise, Yankee fans are going overboard as well. Clemens isn't going to make the staff that much better as he can only go 6, maybe 7 innings, and the rest of the rotation still has a lot of problems. The yankees are definitely better off than without him, and they have the money to spend, I just hope people don't expect too much out of him. Even if he can go and get 20-25 starts with a 3 ERA, the bullpen (besides Rivera) has had issues.

• Options

<< <i>

Red Sox fans are a bit too blase when it comes to this signing - if they had gotten Clemens, they'd be saying what a great addition it would be. Likewise, Yankee fans are going overboard as well. Clemens isn't going to make the staff that much better as he can only go 6, maybe 7 innings, and the rest of the rotation still has a lot of problems. The yankees are definitely better off than without him, and they have the money to spend, I just hope people don't expect too much out of him. Even if he can go and get 20-25 starts with a 3 ERA, the bullpen (besides Rivera) has had issues. >>

Great post, except THIS Yankee fan just wants Clemens to glue the rotation together as far as depth goes. I can care less if he goes 5, 6, or 7 innings per start just as long as they are quality starts. Being able to trust him will go a long way in making this rotation DEEPER ... which is the real plus here.

And yes, Sox fans would be smitten if he signed with them. Yankee fans would tear that apart, etc, etc, and the beat goes on.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Fact of the matter is...If Clemens had signed with Boston it would have been like the second coming of Christ but since he has signed with the Yankees, he is Satan for sure!

And maybe the guy wants to ride off into his sunset as a Yankee. It is where he helped win 2 world championships.
  • Options
    how about some predictions on Clemens final stats for the season?

I predict 11 wins with and ERA about 3.77
    This isn't the national league kids image
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    In the 1975 World Series , game 6 , a large rat jumped unto the camera as Fisk hit his great homer to win game. The camera man was afraid to touch the camera and we all saw Fisk do his homeplate dance. This rat changed the way game were watched on TV forever . Lets all hope we have simular results this time as well.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Where was all this negative talk about Clemens before his announcement? Everyone knew he was coming back to play.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Yankeeno7 , Don't you miss Yoda ? Everytime I used to get down on life , I'd think of him and his wisdom and realized that if I somehow got my leg stuck in the washing machine while it was running or had my eyes clawed out by a de-clawed cat , that maybe just maybe things would be worse off for me.

Some people are legends and don't even know it.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>Yankeeno7 , Don't you miss Yoda ? Everytime I used to get down on life , I'd think of him and his wisdom and realized that if I somehow got my leg stuck in the washing machine while it was running or had my eyes clawed out by a de-clawed cat , that maybe just maybe things would be worse off for me.

Some people are legends and don't even know it. >>

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I have changed my mind on this whole Clemens fiasco. I am extremely happy that he bent the Yankee$ over for all he could get, and will be occasionally gracing the Yankee$ clubhouse with his presence this season. It will make rooting against all things Yankee even sweeter (I didn't think it could ever get better, and then there's this), and puts a ton of pressure squarely on the shoulders of Cashman (what a great name for him - Cash Man) and Torre. If - no when, the Yankees fail yet again to win their World Series, this will no doubt be the end of the line for both of them.

But, what really surprises me, is how you Yankee fans are falling for this! C'mon, are you kidding me? "Welcome Home, Roger!", says the insane Susan Waldman yesterday - moaning and crying like she had seen Moses coming down from the mountain. "It gave me goosebumps" says the equally idiotic Michael Kay, while watching the Clemens circus yesterday. Don't any of you remember how he shafted the Yankees back in the mid 90's, signing at the last minute with Toronto? Then, when the Yankee$ team was all set, and already won a World Series, he leeched on to get two rings for himself, rings that the Yanks would have won with or without him. Then - he says, "I'm retiring, thanks for the memories NY!" and gets a parade, a car, whatever - and a few months later signs with the Astros! Where he pitches for three seasons, more or less, bleeding that franchise dry of huge dollars, until now. He would have done it again, but the Astros stink this season (10 games out already), so he comes back to NY with a line of bullcrap about how he wants to help the team win! Yeah, right! If that's the case, where where you for the last three years, Roger?

He is a traitor, a selfish player, and a general a-hole - but yes, he has had one of the great careers a pitcher has ever had. Now, he is ending this career with one last final cash grab. I can't really blame him, if the Yankee$ want to throw that much money away then he should take it. But be honest with yourselves, Yankee fans - and see this guy for what he really is.
  • Options
    Wanna good laugh? Listen to Susan Waldman here - Oh My God!!
  • Options
    The radio call by Suzy was indeed over the top - you'd think she'd experienced the rapture by the way she called it, and everyone's had a good laugh.

But aren't all hometown radio announcers homers? I agree she went over the top, but its not like this was a national team calling it. This was the local radio host. And I don't think I've ever heard a yankee fan stand up and defend her - everyone I've ever talked to pretty much agrees she's terrible.
  • Options
    Jerry,

as usual you are and worrying about things that DON'T MATTER. What does a commentator have to do with ANYTHING image There is no doubt that that stupid stuff gets you all worked up. You probably have every New York newspaper delivered to your house juuuuuust in case something happens that is other then generic, stale, buisness like reporting on the Yankees.

Lets not forget that D-Mat had New England on THE EDGE OF THEIR SEATS as his plane took off from LA to come to Boston! You all tracked his flight in online! Then the middle of the winter, middle of the night live broadcasts of his car ride from the airport. THAT stuff was just as cheesy, IF NOT MORE, then Susan Waldmen (who I can't stand).

Every one of your points on the Clemens thing miss the real point. Every one ..... you get caught up in nonsensical crap. And don't for one second tell me or anybody else that you would not be overwhelmingly welcoming Roger Clemens into the fold had he signed with Boston.

The Yankees get a starter for the stretch run, a badly needed one ......a no brainer. You Sox fans are just insulted beyond belief ..... and that is just fine by me!

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Ok,

So YOU are semi-retired. A former employer offers YOU $18 million to consult for a few months - this isn't the last guy YOU worked for and there were some hard feelings at YOUR prior departure. YOU accept and then get torched by the peanut gallery as being unfaithful, disloyal, money-grubbing and a has been.

I love America!.
    Wondo

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>3. He burned his bridges with yet another city (Houston). Love when that happens. >>

A buddy warned me about this.

Dam you image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>What obligations did Clemens exactly have to the Red Sox or the Astros. Quite frankly, there was just about every favorably reason to sign with the Yanks (yes including the money) if your Clemems. More friends (including best friend), management he is very used to and comfortable with, has won WS championships with them, etc.

So why is he a "rat" exactly? He doesn't have the right to sign whereever he wants??? >>

You are right, Clemens had no obligation to the Red Sox, and thank god he snubbed thier overly generous $18 million offer. What he DID do is squander an opportunity to right his place in baseball history. He had an opportunity to win an world series, break Cy Young's Red Sox win record, mend fences with the Red Sox, retire #21, and would have been paid a crapload of money for the favor. But, predicatably, Clemens had no change of heart, and went for the almighty $$$$. Hope he can find a nice 6th home with that extra $6 million.

You Yankee Kool-Aid drinkers forget how the Rocket went on his fake "farewell" tour and then snubbed the Yanks for the Astros when he un-retired. As Simmons mentioned, he's a hired gun, available to the highest bidder. But hey, forgive and forget.

And yeah, sure, it would have been cool to have Clemens finish his career in Boston. But they really do not need him, and they can use the money to fill another hole at a later time if they need to.
  • Options

<< <i>

You are right, Clemens had no obligation to the Red Sox, and thank god he snubbed thier overly generous $18 million offer. What he DID do is squander an opportunity to right his place in baseball history. He had an opportunity to win an world series, break Cy Young's Red Sox win record, mend fences with the Red Sox, retire #21, and would have been paid a crapload of money for the favor. But, predicatably, Clemens had no change of heart, and went for the almighty $$$$. Hope he can find a nice 6th home with that extra $6 million.

You Yankee Kool-Aid drinkers forget how the Rocket went on his fake "farewell" tour and then snubbed the Yanks for the Astros when he un-retired. As Simmons mentioned, he's a hired gun, available to the highest bidder. But hey, forgive and forget.

And yeah, sure, it would have been cool to have Clemens finish his career in Boston. But they really do not need him, and they can use the money to fill another hole at a later time if they need to. >>

And for exactly what reason would Clemens WANT to go back to Boston for? Those things? Only Red Sox fans cares about those things. Clemens was chased out of Boston....I think Red Sox were fortunate that Clemens was even considering them.

How does that right his place in baseball? Who makes that decision? Fans? Clemens did what he wanted for himself. I would have said the same thing if he had signed with the Red Sox. It's just that simple and that obvious.

Red Sox memories are probably his worst. And can you fault HIM for that???

And spending money to fill a hole on the Red Sox...isnt that what we have heard since 2005? When Damon left and they sign Coco Crisp? When they let go of Kevin Millar? When they trade Bronson Arroyo? When they snub Edgar Renteria? Fact is the Sox DID want Clemens but not on Clemens terms. The terms were not money...the terms were his return date. Don't act like the Sox didnt want him and didnt want to spend the money on him because they sure did.

Im not at all saying this because I am a Yankees fan. Yes, Im happy the Yankees signed him. But you can't fault the guy for wanting to come back sooner and doing what he loves. He was offered the money...should he turn it down or say he wants less?? That's not going to happen.

Not one peep was mentioned about Clemens before the announcement of his signing. Why weren't all the Red Sox fans up in arms against their team to sign him? Instead pipe dreams from all Yankees, Red Sox, and Astros fans filled discussions. Now that he made his decision on the Yankees, he is worthless? Please.

There is a whole lot of sour grapes in Red Sox Nation.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew the Red Sox- Yankee rivalry was a pretend rivalry when Johnny Damon went from Boston to the Yanks and the fans readily accepted him as if he weren't actually Boston scum.

C'mon you Red Sox and Yankee fans, you know you love each other, since all your players are interchangeable. So spare us all the drama queen crap.
  • Options

<< <i>There is a whole lot of sour grapes in Red Sox Nation. >>

No, it's hardly that at all. Had Clemens accepted the Sox offer, it would have taken a lot for Sox fans to accept him back, but of course we would. We would have to, at that point - just like you guys have to accept him now.

It's just funny to watch how he basically held up the Yankees without a gun and a mask, essentially when the Yankees were bidding against themselves. The Sox offer was surely lower than even Houston would have given him, and I am extremely happy he didn't take it.

Now that the Yankee payroll is back over $200M again, this may also preclude them from making another, better deal, around the trading deadline. Rumor is that the Marlins are looking to dump Willis. By backing up the Brinks truck for Rojerk, even they may have reached a limit which would keep them out of such dealings. Another plus.
  • Options
    CTSox, if thats what you have to tell yourself about Clemens pay.

The only reason Yanks are paying him more is because of his return date. Bosox were offering him essentially the same amount of money but pro-rated because of less time. Saying that the Yanks outbid anyone is a ridiculous twist.

I have no idea if Yanks are interested in Willis. Really, unless you are a playoff bound team, why would you want him? No one is going to give the Marlins a whole lot for him. They will have him only a half year and then he will also go where the money is. Not only that...take a look at Willis' numbers this year. Not very impressive....unless you like DMat-like stats. Oh wait! The Red Sox like them!! image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Red Sox fans are a bit too blase when it comes to this signing - if they had gotten Clemens, they'd be saying what a great addition it would be. Likewise, Yankee fans are going overboard as well. Clemens isn't going to make the staff that much better as he can only go 6, maybe 7 innings, and the rest of the rotation still has a lot of problems. The yankees are definitely better off than without him, and they have the money to spend, I just hope people don't expect too much out of him. Even if he can go and get 20-25 starts with a 3 ERA, the bullpen (besides Rivera) has had issues. >>

Great post, except THIS Yankee fan just wants Clemens to glue the rotation together as far as depth goes. I can care less if he goes 5, 6, or 7 innings per start just as long as they are quality starts. Being able to trust him will go a long way in making this rotation DEEPER ... which is the real plus here.

And yes, Sox fans would be smitten if he signed with them. Yankee fans would tear that apart, etc, etc, and the beat goes on. >>

Actually, I don't think this is true. From what I've seen if Clemens had signed with the Red Sox then Yankee fans would have just gone back to the business of worrying about their own team. There seems, at least from my perspective, to be much more hate for the Yankees emanating from Boston than there is for the Sox emanating from New York.
  • Options
    I'm seeing a lot of rhetoric from both the yankees and red sox camp that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

He makes either team better, hands down. The yankees have much more pressing needs at pitching, so they offered more money, and it's clear at this point that most athletes go where the most money is offered. Throw in the fact that he gets to come in and be the so-called 'savior' of the team just feeds his ego even more. Announcing it during the game Sunday should have been the tipping point to anyone watching - Clemens is really only concerned with one guy - Clemens.

Now, sox fans. You know you'd be as happy as the yanks fans are right now if he had signed with your team. Just because you don't need pitching now doesn't mean you won't later in the season. Please quit playing the 'we didn't really want him' card.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    The Yankees pick up another starter for the stretch run???? Didn't know the stretch was here yet. Just what the doctor called for another pitcher that will break down. What is the over on DL trips for the yanks this year? Just a reminder of the the last time he pitched in a really big game, does anybody remember the 05 Series?

Rocket grounded in loss
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com
    Roger Clemens allowed three runs and departed after just two innings with a sore hamstring. Though the Astros tied it up in the third to take The Rocket off the hook, they couldn't stave off the White Sox and lost the franchise's first World Series game.
  • Options

<< <i>Now, sox fans. You know you'd be as happy as the yanks fans are right now if he had signed with your team. Just because you don't need pitching now doesn't mean you won't later in the season. Please quit playing the 'we didn't really want him' card. >>

Not really. Red Sox fans are very split on this, and I am probably in the middle. Like I said, it would have been cool for the Rocket to come "full circle" and wear #21 for the Sox, but they really, truly do not need him. But, Roger being Roger, went for the extra $6 or $7 million extra $$$$$ for a slim chance at the post-season instead of a very generous offer for a legitimite shot at getting that World Series ring that Schiraldi squandered for him in 1986.
  • Options

<< <i>Now that the Yankee payroll is back over $200M again, this may also preclude them from making another, better deal, around the trading deadline. Rumor is that the Marlins are looking to dump Willis. By backing up the Brinks truck for Rojerk, even they may have reached a limit which would keep them out of such dealings. Another plus. >>

Wishful thinking, ctsoxfan. If the Marlins are out of it, the Yankees will not hesitate at all to pick up Willis, and as the Clemens saga proved, the Marlins can name their price.
  • Options

<< <i>The Yankees pick up another starter for the stretch run???? Didn't know the stretch was here yet. Just what the doctor called for another pitcher that will break down. >>

Yes, the stretch run. I did not however, say the stretch run was "here" Did I?

What I said was in reference to the Yankees rotation come July/August. By then Pettitte, Wang, Mussina, Clemens, and Hughes hopefully will be a consistent group. A pretty deep rotation .... for the stretch run ..... IMO image

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>does anybody remember the 05 Series? >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>And for exactly what reason would Clemens WANT to go back to Boston for? Those things? Only Red Sox fans cares about those things. Clemens was chased out of Boston....I think Red Sox were fortunate that Clemens was even considering them.
    >>

Uh, Clemens was not exactly "chased out of Boston". In 1992, Clemens signed a then-record (for a pitcher) 4-year $20 million contract. Over the duration of that contract he averaged a 10-10 record and 3.90 ERA -- not exactly Cy Young stats. He was then offered a 4-year $24 million contract. I am not a Duquette fan, but one can understand his reluctance to offer more.

So Toronto offers a 3 year $24 million contract, Roger takes the money, and then starts a rigorous training program to reclaim his Cy Young glory, partly to spite the Red Sox. It did not occur to him to do that during the last year or two of his Red Sox contract when he was fat and happy.
  • Options
    Hmmmm, didn't Clemens actually have back problems those last couple of years in Boston? I think he did ... and I think that had alot more to do with him beginning to work out like a madman to keep his back and legs strong. I highly doubt any of this was to spite the Boston Red Sox. Dan Duquette was SURE Clemens was on the downside of his career and would continue to break down.

Instead, he got healthy and went on and won 156 more games after Boston which is staggering really.

• Options

<< <i>Hmmmm, didn't Clemens actually have back problems those last couple of years in Boston? I think he did ... and I think that had alot more to do with him beginning to work out like a madman to keep his back and legs strong. I highly doubt any of this was to spite the Boston Red Sox. Dan Duquette was SURE Clemens was on the downside of his career and would continue to break down.

Instead, he got healthy and went on and won 156 more games after Boston which is staggering really. >>

Well, getting fat tends to be hard on the back -- ask David Wells!! image

(BTW, I like David Wells, and he is a Real Yankee, unlike Clemen$)
  • Options
    This is the best take I have read on the Clemens circus -

Pathetic in pinstripes: NY needy, Roger greedy
    By Gerry Callahan
    Boston Herald General Sports Columnist

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 - Updated: 10:02 AM EST

It is sad, really. Even during their current seven-year championship drought, even while they were losing four straight to the Red Sox [team stats] in 2004 or flopping in the first round of the playoffs to the Tigers last year, the Yankees at least were interesting. They always were dangerous, always threatening to put it all together and return to the top of the baseball world.

As they made one ridiculously expensive splash after another - signing Giambi, signing Pavano, signing Damon, trading for A-Rod or Abreu - you couldn’t help but wonder: Is this it? Is this the move that finally puts them over the top? They haven’t won anything since 2000, but the Yankees always succeeded in instilling a little fear and anxiety in the Red Sox and their fans.

And now? Now the Yankees are just kind of pathetic. These days, their game plan seems to be simple. The Boss is old and getting older. They need to win and win now. Do something, anything, everything. They’ve already used five rookie starters, and that didn’t work. Now they’re turning their lonely eyes to a guy who was a rookie two years before Phil Hughes was born. How desperate are they? This is the baseball equivalent of purchasing a mail-order bride from Outer Mongolia.

Consider the scene Sunday afternoon at Yankee Stadium: More than 52,000 fans stood and cheered as if their team had just won the World Series, or at least gotten back to .500. In the broadcast booth, our friend Suzyn Waldman had what has been described as a Meg Ryan moment. It was a delirious celebration for all of Yankees Nation, the highlight of this star-crossed baseball season in New York. And what exactly did the mighty Bombers do to engender such joy and happiness?

Well, they essentially bought the most expensive car on the lot, the most expensive house in the neighborhood, the most expensive athlete in team sports - and they paid above the listed price. Talk about brilliant front-office maneuvering: The Yankees signed Roger Clemens to a contract that would be worth $28 million for an entire season, or more than the entire Devil Rays payroll, and now they have to wait a month for him to take the mound. The Yanks will pay $4.5 million a month (plus 40 percent for the luxury tax) for a guy who:

Turns 45 in August;

Was 7-6 last year (and made $12 million);

Averaged fewer than six innings per start last year - against National League lineups;

Plans to be a part-time member of manager Joe Torre’s team, returning home to Houston (or to Augusta or Pebble Beach) between starts;

Is coming back for the money, as always.

The Red Sox did not come close to meeting Clemens’ price, and it’s worth noting they didn’t want Clemens to join their rotation right away. The Sox preferred to wait another month, probably because they know there is only so much gas left in Rocket’s tank. He is not only a six-inning pitcher these days, but a three-month pitcher. The Yankees cannot afford to wait: They want their mail-order bride, and they want her now.

Everyone knows Clemens was a great pitcher, perhaps the greatest ever, and once upon a time, he was worth more than any player in the game. But we’ve got some disappointing news for our friends in New York: That time has passed. He’s older than aged left-handers Jamie Moyer (Phillies) and David Wells (Padres), older than Red Sox [team stats] hitting coach Dave Magadan.

Every pitcher grows old and breaks down some day, and that day is fast approaching for Clemens. You know how some athletes don’t want to leave the game if they have one more great performance in them? Roger doesn’t want to leave while he has one more big payday in him. He wants to grow old on somebody’s dime, and right now, that somebody is wearing a white turtleneck and conversing with the coat rack in his New York apartment.

Curt Schilling [stats] is absolutely right when he says the Red Sox don’t need Clemens. Did the Sox want Clemens? Sure they did, but they didn’t need him. Not like the Yankees, who ranked 26th in the majors in ERA entering last night. New York GM Brian Cashman was forced to grovel at the feet of Clemens because he spent $100 million on his starting rotation and ended up with a more dysfunctional cast than “Diff’rent Strokes.” You want to know why the Yankees had to get Clemens? Because they didn’t get Schilling, Beckett or Matsuzaka.

Now they hand a blank check to Roger and tell him they’ll take anything he can give them. Five or six innings, three or four months. Anything to stop the bleeding. Clemens says he’s going to New York for the ring, which is like going to Ireland for the food. He says he wants to win for the “three or four guys down here that still don’t have a championship ring.” Oh, sure. He’s doing it for Mike Mussina and Alex Rodriguez. And Colter Bean, too.

Actually, Clemens is doing it for the same reason he’s done just about everything else for the past 23 years: lots and lots of money. Nothing wrong with that. Every player has his priorities. This will put Roger over the $150 million career mark, which means he’s not lying when he says he just wants to win. He’s almost 45, and now he’s the highest-paid player ever.

He won’t save the Yankees, but you’ve got to hand it to Roger: He wins again.
  • Options
    Jerry,

Of course that is your "best take" on the issue. image You are 100% a biased Red Sox fan ...... and I don't blame you for that as I am a 100% biased Yankee fan. BUT, you Sox fans need to stop the horse crap arguement over money already. Do any of you realize that the Sox are a money spending GIANT with ONLY the Yankees to look up too? Please, stop with the payroll moaning already ...... your SOX spent over 100 million on a FLYER that a Japanese pitcher is who scouts THINK he was. Well, not even close so far ..... wake up already image

What makes this position by Sox fans even more laughable is that they would be BEAMING with pride had Roger come to roost in Fenway one more time. image

• Options
    Wow CTSox...there are so many fallacies in that article I am too tired to even think about typing out the realities.

Boils down to a writer who is another sour grapes Red Sox fan.

I still find it amazing that there was absolutely NO talk like this before Clemens signed. Everyone knew he was coming back...where was this talk then? Were Boston reporters even saying these things before Clemens made his decision? I dont know but I highly doubt it. They were all at church or temple praying and asking for God's help in bringing Roger back to Boston.

Let the season play out. Is it possible that Clemens will stink up the joint? Yup. Is it possible that Clemens will be every bit of a Hall of Fame pitcher that he has been over the last 20 years? Yup.

Time will tell.....
  • Options

<< <i> Were Boston reporters even saying these things before Clemens made his decision? . >>

Actually, they were -- Jerry Callahan said these things repeatedly on WEEI before the Clemens grandstand.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Were Boston reporters even saying these things before Clemens made his decision? . >>

Actually, they were -- Jerry Callahan said these things repeatedly on WEEI before the Clemens grandstand. >>

Red Sox Nation would be all giddy with Clemens coming back to roost in Fenway again. Nothing, not one columnist, not a few message board posters, not the bitter Boston media can convince me. The REASON for the backlash is because there was real optimisim that Roger Clemens was coming back to wear #21.

Everything after the fact is pure rhetoric ....