Home Sports Talk
Options

NBA Playoffs, Round 2: Jazz v. Warriors - Who will win the series and why?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
I do not know who will win but I hope the Warriors do.

Why you ask? Because the Warriors are playing great basketball that is fast paced and fun to watch; and because it would be great to see a #8 seed advance to the conference championship series; and because Jessica Alba has been seen sitting courtside at the Oracle Arena.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm going with the Warriors in 6.

Since retooling and getting healthy, they have been one of the most dangerous teams in the NBA. They knocked out a 67-win Dallas team in six games, and fairly convincingly. Their overall record and #8 seeding are extremely misleading and they're a low seed no one wants to draw.
  • Options
    Wow - this thread died quick after the 2-0 start. Boozer is a beast, and to think the Cavs could have had him and James.
    ---------------------------------------------

"The Villain"

Shiba Rescue Organization
    A Shiba Inu is a terrible thing to waste! image
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The Warriors were a lot of fun to watch in the Mavs series - it seemed like they always had someone making a big shot when they needed it (usually Baron Davis) but they are probably done in the playoffs after that tough series. Then again, neither of these teams is beating the Spurs or Suns anyway.
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see (if the Jazz make it to the next round). They have proven they can bang with Houston and now are running with the Warriors. They seem to be able to adapt.

"The Villain"

• Options
    The interesting thing about the first two games in Utah is that the Warriors played in front of a hostile crowd against a team that is bigger and more physical than them (Utah has outrebounded the Warriors by a large margin) and they still came very close to winning both games. They would have one game two if they only made of of three free missed free throws in the last 16 seconds.

If the Warriors can win the next two at home (Oracle Arena has been very good to the Warriors this year since they have won 34 and lost 10 at home this season), the series will be a seven game dog fight.

Whoever wins this series will, IMHO, give the winner of the Suns/Spurs series a tough challenge in the Conference Finals.

As far as the Eastern Conference goes, it looks like it will be Detriot v. Cleveland given the ease with which these teams have handled the Bulls and the Nets so far.
  • Options
    I think the run n gun style of the Warriors is starting to hurt them. With only a 6 or 7 man rotation and guys logging heavy minutes it seems they have worn down at the end of each game. Playoffs are always more physical and the Refs allow more contact as well, which doesn't help them either. The Jazz are also able to run sets and slow the pace when they need to while Golden State has a lot of one and done possesions (obviously due to the lack of rebounding). If they can shoot a high percentage I think they have a chance, but I don't think simply throwing up more shots is enough. IMO, the big deal made about them beating the Mavs did not seem that big at all. Yes, the stoyline was nice but the Mavs seemed flat, and Nowitzki seemed flat out lost. Sure, the loss does not fall solely on him but as the team leader and a MVP candidate he did not look or live up to the titles.

"The Villain"

• Options
    With the Warriors playing only 7-8 players, they are at a severe disadvantage.

The physical and emotional toll of NBA playoff basketball requires 9-10 bodies to throw into the fray and Don Nelson has seen fit to not play many of his second and third stringers.

Tomorrow night's game will be very telling. Either the Warriors will blow Utah away in front the the home crowd or they will win or lose a nail biter. Anything other than a Warrior blow out in game 3 does not bode well for the Warriors in the remainder of the series.
  • Options
    I wouldn't get too down if you are a Warriors fan. All the Jazz did was defend the home court, which they were supposed to do. And they shouldn't have even done that if Pietrus doesn't miss both free throws and Baron one of two in the final seconds...and Baron stepping out of bounds trying to dribble upcourt, which was a major mental error. This series could look totally different in a week if the Warriors can defend their home court and be convincing. I think the Warriors are one of those teams that just play better with their backs to the wall too. As for the worn down comments, I don't buy those because during the playoffs these guys are getting one or two days off between every game so they should be just fine. I'm not a Warriors fan because I can't stand Baron Davis' acting out there and the way he always keeps the focus on him by having 28 nagging injuries at any given time (shut up and play, Baron), but I'm a long-time Jazz hater leftover from the Stockton and Malone days.
    Steven Bloedow
    Collect Auctions
  • Options
    if they wouldn't have missed a free throw

and

if he wouldn't have stepped on the line

and

If they wouldn't have missed another free throw

and

and

and

and

Free throws and out lines are part of the game, bottom line is they lost. I hope the Warriors fans feel better by convincing themselves that GS could have won if if if and if ... I guess tonight will tell how much home court matters. I really don't care for either team but right now this match up is the only one worth watching from an entertainment stand point.

"The Villain"

• Options
    2-1 Jazz after tonite's game.

Should be 2-2 on sunday night.
  • Options
    I hope so. Atleast this team is entertaining. I don't know if they can continue to shoot 55% from the floor and 50% 3 point range but if they can they should be able to beat any team out there. Some how I just think it will be hard to hit those percentages again and again.

"The Villain"

• Options
    Anyone think either Davis or Richardson will be suspended for their stupidity?

"The Villain"

• Options
    At this point, Richardson is cleared and won't be suspended. The league is still reviewing Baron's bump on Fisher. I'm surprised Baron didn't hurt his shoulder in the process.
    Steven Bloedow
    Collect Auctions
  • Options
    I hope they do not suspend him. I hate to think a team could be put out of the playoffs for a bonehead move by a player, but I think if they give him a flagorant 2 he will be gone (I think he already has 5 Technicals). I would guess there will be alot of early whistles in this one tonight as the Refs try and establish themselves early.

"The Villain"

• Options
    Me thinks the Jazz have too much firepower for the Warriors and that the Warrior's Cinderella sotry will end in Salt Lake City tonight.

Given the way the Jazz have played, how do you think the Jazz will fair in the Western Conference Finals?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the Jazz are going to win. image
  • Options
    I think Carlos Boozer is the difference for the Jazz. Even when he is not scoring he has drawn double teams. He is also a very good passer. It will be interesting to see him match up against Duncan should the Spurs advance. I think most people would say Duncan is the best if not top 3 forwards in the game. Be fun to see how Boozer matches up. I still think Boozer has been the MVP in the playoffs thus far.

"The Villain"

• Options
    The Warriors Wild Ride of the past 2 months is over.

Sure was fun for Bay Area hoops fans while it lasted. I hope Don Nelson coachs the team for the next few years (he turned 67 yesterday). He is one heck of a coach and no doubt can get the best out of the players he has on his roster.

Relatively small, fearless, driven, athletic players, who can run endlessly, who can defend and who can shoot really make for a fun, fast paced pro game. This year the Warriors, the Suns and the Raptors played this style of basketball and wathcing those teams burn up the court reminded me of the 80's Showtime Lakers and many of the ABA teams from the 60's & 70's.
  • Options
    Now if they could only tone down their ghettofabulous thug attitudes...Really was sad seeing them act like spoiled babies in their losses. Oh wait they acted like show offs in their wins too. As I said before they were exciting to watch but all the stupid attitude stuff detracts so much from how entertaining they are. Shame.

"The Villain"