Home Metal Detecting

ID Help - Trade Tokenish: FES Nurseryman 20

StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
The trampoline broke last week, and we took it down today. I hadn't metal detected under it for a few years since I got the Garrett, and had 15 minutes before the NASCAR race started. This was about 7" down.

My house is from the mid 1800's, and I've found other tokens/items around early 1900's in the general area as this, so it COULD be from this era. It could also be a tag from rose bushes from 5 years ago too, who knows.

The closest thing I could find in one of my token books is a Rulau NY-NY 30 "Bloomingdales" in the NY Trade Token section. Similar numbering, similar design, and similar hole. No luck with Google yet.

EDIT: It is about 1 1/8" in diameter.

Obv says: "F. E. S. NURSERYMAN 20"

Rev is blank except the edge design

Thanks!
Jeff
------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• CROCKofCOINSCROCKofCOINS Posts: 1,545
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's early-1900s, all right. The style screams that. It ain't no five-year-old rosebush tag.

I can't help but wonder if it is a tool check of some kind.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's early-1900s, all right. The style screams that. It ain't no five-year-old rosebush tag.

I can't help but wonder if it is a tool check of some kind. >>

Thanks Rob & Jerry - I was sort of kidding about the rose bushes image

I found other metal things in this area, palmolive soap aluminum token, the eagle emblem watch fob and one of the older buttons from my whatzzit post a few months ago. I'd guess this was a kids play area from about 1890-1920ish.

The bloomingdales write-up in Rulau said this style of tag started in the 1880's, and that particular one could have been used for time keeping or other such admin duties. A tool check sounds good. The Rulau token guide book is 1700-1900, I would guess early 1900's on this one as well. I wish someone would make a book for 1900-1950 or so (That alone would probably be 2000 pages). I'll have to do some research to see if that was some sort of local company here in Western New York, or if it was imported from somewhere else.

I did the bubbling peroxide on it before the pictures, I'm thinking one more peroxide treatment and into some olive oil for awhile??

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101